Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas mass

Options
  • 22-12-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭

So who here well be going to going to mass on Christmas eve or day?

I well be. I prefer going Christmas eve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Spending Christmas was the Grandfather so not going to mass isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Haven't been to mass since school, so no! I hear mass is nice over Christmas, though. With the carols and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Use to rock up to 12 o'clock mass on Xmas eve after the pub, 1 eye looking at ya, 1 looking for ya, did the job, these days its Xmas mass on Xmas eve with the kids....much prefer mass on Xmas eve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I love a good mass, the priest has to know how to use the alter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My mam had us duped years ago that we had to go on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!
    I mean I was 21/22 and chatting to someone in the pub on the way home and copped that she had been f**king with us for years!
    (Still go to both! Catholic guilt is hard to shake off!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Christmas eve and christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Haven't went since I was a teenager but it was great. You went down in your new Christmas threads to check out girls you fancied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ain't got time fo dat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Not being the best practitioner of catholicism in the world, prob not.

Though my eldest is getting near mass going age, (where her teacher may question) I might start frequenting mass a bit more.

It's mad, back in my day you didn't dare miss mass, my mam and dad wouldn't put up with it tbh, I came from a "if you live under my roof, you go to mass" household, and it wasn't uncommon for me to ask someone for a mass booklet, find out who said mass, and what he preached about.

I don't think kids these days even bother to "Mitch" mass. They just don't bother their shyte even pretending.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Used to go when I was young,always hated it because it was longer than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I love a good mass, the priest has to know how to use the alter though.

I recommend Fr Ultan Crosbie, especially his latin mass....effortless chalice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Haven't been to mass since school, so no! I hear mass is nice over Christmas, though. With the carols and all that.

I do like the carols. It makes it the extra special in Christmas eve mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Lia_lia wrote: »

The protestants always do a miles better carol service, they pack as many hymns in as they can, and do away with the boring crap. The local reverend plays the guitar, so that always gets brought out too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't go to mass during the year. I see no reason to go at Xmas.

You do know it's all a fairy storey don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Not being the best practitioner of catholicism in the world, prob not.

Though my eldest is getting near mass going age, (where her teacher may question) I might start frequenting mass a bit more.

It's mad, back in my day you didn't dare miss mass, my mam and dad wouldn't put up with it tbh, I came from a "if you live under my roof, you go to mass" household, and it wasn't uncommon for me to ask someone for a mass booklet, find out who said mass, and what he preached about.

I don't think kids these days even bother to "Mitch" mass. They just don't bother their shyte even pretending.

They won't question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Not a Catholic, why would I go?

No doubt the sermon would take a potshot at "The Gays" or some such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Midnight mass on Christmas Eve, no lights as such, just candles and carols. It's very nice

Always go Christmas Eve, something nicer about the mass then than Christmas morning and nice to head for a few pints after too. I go to mass regularly though so it's not a once a year visit for me.

Midnight mass on Christmas Eve, no lights as such, just candles and carols. It's very nice

I actually been for years , maybe twenty or more. But for some today I thought about maybe going to the midnight mass, for the candles and the carols and the nice sense of peace I seem to recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Use to go the one in Liverpool for years. Got tired very quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Gumbi wrote: »

Nope, I've never heard a priest take a potshot at gays or any other minority group in any of the masses I've been to (although I go to mass approximately once a year).

Nearly all the homilies I've ever heard have been boring, "be nice to the people around you" type messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

That doesn't happen.

If it did, Una Mullally would have written a screamy column on it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

You do know it's all a fairy storey don't you?
    No, nobody ever said that before - thanks!
    "No doubt"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I can honestly say that mass over xmas or even in general never entered my head until I saw this thread

so many more important things to do like peel the spuds or cut my toe nails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I recommend Fr Ultan Crosbie, especially his latin mass....effortless chalice work.

He gives good mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Mass in ur face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Celebrate the birth of baby Jesus who we now eat in the form of wierd biscuits.. Nom nom nom... Hark the herald Angels sing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No, nobody ever said that before - thanks!

"No doubt"?

You should listen to what the Catholic church has preached and proposed to legislate for the masses over the years. Shocking stuff, so I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

no. Haven't been to christmas mass in probably over 10 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I always hated the secondary school people they got singing, some on the tin whistle, a teacher on the keyboard or guitar. Far too enthusiastic for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement