Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

seamus wrote: »
    be an adult

My wife will be going to midnight mass on Xmas eve, which means I have to stay at home and babysit and not go to the pub. :(

There's no reason to accommodate her going to mass over you going out. As you said be an adult, tell her if she wants to go mass you can arrange a babysitter.

I managed to start bribing my parents because "We have to keep granny happy" it started off at €50 and over time I increased my 'Attending the meetings of the worlds most criminal orginisation' fee to about €500. I was bringing in €2k+ a year attending, Christmas mass, weddings, funerals, christenings.

I'd just like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that the RCC as a group has covered up some of the worst crimes of all time. By attending their meetings you are saying that you are ok with this. Think about who you give your support to, and what you are enabling them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

GarIT wrote: »
    There's no reason to accommodate her going to mass over you going out. As you said be an adult, tell her if she wants to go mass you can arrange a babysitter.

Or the other side being be an adult and look after your child for an evening.

danrua01 wrote: »
    Or the other side being be an adult and look after your child for an evening.

As should she, they both want to go out and are at an impasse. Somebody has to give in or they have to come up with an alternate solution (babysitter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

cloud493 wrote: »
    My traditional christmas day when I was a kid

6am - christmas walk to mass
    8am - mass (the church was a good hour and a half walk from us)
    10am - walk back from mass.
    12pm - open one present
    1pm - walking
    4pm - finally eat some food that wasn't communion wafer
    6pm - mass
    8.30pm - finally open the ****ing presents.

Nothing but repeats on over the Christmas alright :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

cloud493 wrote: »
    My traditional christmas day when I was a kid

6am - christmas walk to mass
    8am - mass (the church was a good hour and a half walk from us)
    10am - walk back from mass.
    12pm - open one present
    1pm - walking
    4pm - finally eat some food that wasn't communion wafer
    6pm - mass
    8.30pm - finally open the ****ing presents.

were you brought up in the 1950's?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

As should she, they both want to go out and are at an impasse. Somebody has to give in or they have to come up with an alternate solution (babysitter).

Maybe all the babysitters are out at midnight mass or on the lash?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Mass :confused::confused::confused:

It's CHURCH!! CHURCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I'll go Christmas eve myself.Its one of the many things that makes Christmas special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I will probably go christmas eve ,I'm on a roll this year,this will be my 5th mass this year (2 of which where funeral masses ).
    I went last sunday to the pro-cathedral with some visitors from abroad.They wanted to see a latin mass.The choir where great but the priest ruined it all with his squeeky voice ,making it cringe worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No, because I never go throughout the year and also because I would rather get teeth pulled without anesthetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

were you brought up in the 1950's?

No my dad was just a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lots of people defending their decision to keep their parents in blissful ignorance rather than be an adult and do what they want to do.

You don't seem to realise that being an adult has very little connection with doing only what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Not going to mass over Christmas is the ultimate act of paganism in our house.

I wouldn't be much of a mass-goer, but I like mass on christmas day. It's a nice excuse for a reunion and sneaky pints in the sneakily-open country pub.

Plus, if there's one day of the year where the family should be unified under a maternal theocracy at home, it's Christmas Day. If she's cooking the dinner, just keep her happy.

If you believe in stupid things then don't be surprised if someone pokes fun at your expense.

If you are ignorant enough to not believe then don't expect your comments to be ignored.

I
    By attending their meetings you are saying that you are ok with this. Think about who you give your support to, and what you are enabling them to do.

This is the sort of trolling I was referring to in my earlier post. This sort of bullsh*t baiting shouldn't be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I managed to start bribing my parents because "We have to keep granny happy" it started off at €50 and over time I increased my 'Attending the meetings of the worlds most criminal orginisation' fee to about €500. I was bringing in €2k+ a year attending, Christmas mass, weddings, funerals, christenings.

I'd just like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that the RCC as a group has covered up some of the worst crimes of all time. By attending their meetings you are saying that you are ok with this. Think about who you give your support to, and what you are enabling them to do.

Catholicism is about man's relationship with God.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh, I could arrange a babysitter alright, but that doesn't mean I'm going to. I've decided to stay in because my wife called dibs on going out first, but I don't have to be happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you are ignorant enough to not believe then don't expect your comments to be ignored.
    "Ignorant" seems like the wrong word to describe non belief based on current knowledge and science over belief based on ancient texts that would have been written by people that were most certainly ignorant of the natural world.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    No girls allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kinda gay innit?

Ironic.

[QUOTE=ScumLord;93552856No girls allowed.[/QUOTE]

Wait 'til the feminists get a hold of this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If you are ignorant enough to not believe the don't expect your comments to be ignored.

This is the sort of trolling I was referring to in my earlier post. This sort of bullsh*t baiting shouldn't be allowed.

Non belivers are ignorant are they?

And you're the one saying what posters should and should not be allowed to post.

Xmas comedy hour starring abNOXious001!!!

Look, go to your poxy mass believe in your fairy tales about virgin births, wise men following stars etc. if you like.

Support your child rapist priests and the covering up of same by the heirarchy, but please don't be surprised when people ridicule your beliefs and actions because they are stupid!!!

Mod - banned

ScumLord wrote: »
    "Ignorant" seems like the wrong word to describe non belief based on current knowledge and science over belief based on ancient texts that would have been written by people that were most certainly ignorant of the natural world.

No girls allowed.

Plenty of scientific people also have faith. I'm not one of them but there's no call to belittle or berate people for no reason other than your own enjoyment. If a thread's not for you, keep out of it.

Did I say anything untrue?

That is where you are wrong, you are confusing Catholicism with Christianity. Catholicism is a subset of Christianity with a particular set of beliefs. The mass that most people will attend is organised by the Roman Catholic Church which is a particularly criminal organisation. You do not need to go to a Catholic mass to have a relationship with god.

In general I take the attitude of live and let live with religions, Christians are fine. The RCC however is an organisation I despise.

Did I say anything untrue?

That is where you are wrong, you are confusing Catholicism with Christianity. Catholicism is a subset of Christianity with a particular set of beliefs. The mass that most people will attend is organised by the Roman Catholic Church which is a particularly criminal organisation. You do not need to go to a Catholic mass to have a relationship with god.

In general I take the attitude of live and let live with religions, Christians are fine. The RCC however is an organisation I despise.

really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He knows when you are sleeping...

He's in bed beside me- and I snore!

Oh he knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't seem to realise that being an adult has very little connection with doing only what you want to do.
    Doing what you want to do is the very definition of being an adult.

Whatever choices you make, you will be held accountable for them. Therefore you're free to make whatever choices you want to make. If you're doing something that you don't want to do, you are choosing to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I can't believe that many people still go to this cult!
    angry_mob_simpsons.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think every single wan of ye should get nothing but a bucket of coal.

Coke at that, no fancy anthracite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I'm not in the business of supporting organisations that facilitate the systematic rape of little children, among other horrible things.

So no, I won't be going to mass.

• Advertisement

If you're doing something that you don't want to do, you are choosing to do it.

Good work, Mr. Holmes.

A part of being an adult...or a part of being a decent person...is doing something that you don't like to do but that makes others happy.

If it's going to mass, fine, that's not going to harm you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement