Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas mass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No, haven't been in nearly 20 years. I quite liked Christmas Eve mass though (didn't mind mass in general tbh) and in some ways would love to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My mass goes up substantially over Christmas.

So my Christmas mass is about 10kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

RayM wrote: »
    He gives good mass.

Father Clippett does a good, long mass, three hours since he had his stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Used to go to the midnight mass with my gran but after she moved on from this realm, I never bothered much with it. We have a celeb doing our mass now anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Id self combust if I walked into a church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ruu wrote: »
    Used to go to the midnight mass with my gran but after she moved on from this realm, I never bothered much with it. We have a celeb doing our mass now anyway. :)

If it's the celeb I'm thinking of, I'd nearly go to hear him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

"Father, is there anything to be said for another mass"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

vicwatson wrote: »
    Id self combust if I walked into a church.

There is more evidence for SHC than there is for the existence of a deity in fairness :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes will be going on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Standing in a crowded unheated building in the middle of flu season never struck me as a good idea so I shan't be partaking again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I was always brought to Christmas Eve mass when I was a kid. I much preferred it, as it meant you could spend all day on Christmas Day just opening presents and not having to leave the house. Fighting with the brother over what presents were his and which were mine and all that.

One year, however, the trauma of it all. It was too stormy to go to mass on Christmas Eve. Myself and the brother were delighted as we thought we'd dodged mass altogether. Imagine our dual horror when we were dragged from bed at 8am the following morning, out to the car and down to a 2 hour long mass. We felt like it would never end. I was 8 and he was 5, so we were both just aching to get to our presents.

I'll probably go this year, the local church has mass at 9pm and I'll go with the parents and the brother just to do a family thing. It's usually spot on too, with some Christmas carols and stuff, so more entertaining than the usual mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I will be going for the sake of Irish Tradition, then I will do the xmas swim !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Usually wait.for midday mass. Easier to spot anyone else bearing coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

JaseHeath wrote: »
    One year, however, the trauma of it all. It was too stormy to go to mass on Christmas Eve. Myself and the brother were delighted as we thought we'd dodged mass altogether. Imagine our dual horror when we were dragged from bed at 8am the following morning, out to the car and down to a 2 hour long mass. We felt like it would never end. I was 8 and he was 5, so we were both just aching to get to our presents.

Your folks brought you to mass before you opened your presents? That's practically child cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My traditional christmas day when I was a kid

6am - christmas walk to mass
    8am - mass (the church was a good hour and a half walk from us)
    10am - walk back from mass.
    12pm - open one present
    1pm - walking
    4pm - finally eat some food that wasn't communion wafer
    6pm - mass
    8.30pm - finally open the ****ing presents.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd rather boil my head. Next year I might take my son to a pre-Christmas carols concert that's held in the local CoI cathedral as he loves choral music and he should be old enough to enjoy it as part of the build up to Santa's birthday. But that's it. An evening of well regarded singers belting out a few carols might be fun, no need for a lecture to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Haven't been to mass for any other day the past 10 years, see no reason to start now. Rest of the family tend to go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Your folks brought you to mass before you opened your presents? That's practically child cruelty.

I know, right! I think my little brother actually did cry in the car on the way. I sulked more than cried. But it was all forgotten and we got what we asked for so it was all blissful afterwards. But it says something when I can still remember the "incident" nearly 20 years after it happened. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

iguana wrote: »
    I'd rather boil my head. Next year I might take my son to a pre-Christmas carols concert that's held in the local CoI cathedral as he loves choral music and he should be old enough to enjoy it as part of the build up to Santa's birthday. But that's it. An evening of well regarded singers belting out a few carols might be fun, no need for a lecture to go with it.

I hope your not telling your son its Santa's birthday on the 25th?

Sure its Jesus birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Christmas eve is for the pub until such time as I have kids.

Christmas morning is for mass and trying to shake off a hangover while listening to the screams and cries of the products of our latest baby boom.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Christmas eve mass is early this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Being dragged away from your presents, shortly after opening them, was only marginally less cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I love a good mass, the priest has to know how to use the alter altar though.

sorry I had to alter that on you

cena wrote: »
    I hope your not telling your son its Santa's birthday on the 25th?

Sure its Jesus birthday.

I've read enough of the Bible to know that Jesus was most certainly not born in December so it's definitely not his birthday at Christmas. That's another good reason not to bring my little guy to mass. I'd hate for him to get a false idea about the sheep farming methods practiced by middle-eastern shepherds two thousand years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

where is local if you don't mind me asking?
    although it's no good to you now, if you're in Dublin, the Dublin Gospel Choir do a carol concert on the last sunday before Christmas in Church St. was at it earlier. excellent stuff to help the friary homeless shelter.

I've read enough of the Bible to know that Jesus was most certainly not born in December so it's definitely not his birthday at Christmas. That's another good reason not to bring my little guy to mass. I'd hate for him to get a false idea about the sheep farming methods practiced by middle-eastern shepherds two thousand years ago.

So why take him to CoI to hear carols?

I think we all know the dates are out of sync but I'm sure a lot of people like mass at Christmas..where they celebrate the birth of Jesus.

Chucken wrote: »
    So why take him to CoI to hear carols?.

Because he loves choral music and the cathedral is where they hold the concert.

where is local if you don't mind me asking?
    although it's no good to you now, if you're in Dublin, the Dublin Gospel Choir do a carol concert on the last sunday before Christmas in Church St. was at it earlier. excellent stuff to help the friary homeless shelter.

Other side of the country but that's good to know as we're in Dublin quite a bit and that might end up suiting us better depending on the dates.

Because he loves choral music and the cathedral is where they hold the concert.

I'll take my 2 year old grandson to our local Catholic Church and CoI Cathedral for the aul sing song in the next few days :)
    They will all be singing from the same hymn sheet..literally :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Copped on to that drivel years ago. Only been in churches for weddings and funerals since. Thankfully fewer of those being done there now too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement