Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

chughes wrote: »
    That would be some mouthful, alright.

Aye. That'd be worse than "BJ" when the other youngfellas in school find out what it means. :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Knew an Italian girl called Nirvana, and she was born ten years before the band became famous.

not quite that name, but i do feel sorry for parents who that happens to,

reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons when Homer's name was used for the lead character in the cop show and the positives and negatives that came with that

you know, kind of like the name Justin, just a normal name, no negative connotations to anybody in particular, then Justin Bieber happens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

chughes wrote: »
    That would be some mouthful, alright.

It kinda sucks, yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Sellecks_Tache

Jayden, Mason, Carson, Kayden ... I'm sorry I have to stop before I puke lads.

What are we raising a generation of Jedi Masters ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Mr Viking

Do you remember your man from the Dukes of Hazard he was Boss Hoggs deputy and he was called Cletus. I think I spent my childhood calling him Clitoris. Even named my pet rabbit after him and couldn't for the life of me work out why the folks were giving me strange looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Knew an Italian girl called Nirvana, and she was born ten years before the band became famous.

Her brother is Kurt?

Jayden, Mason, Carson, Kayden ... I'm sorry I have to stop before I puke lads.

What are we raising a generation of Jedi Masters ?

All these above names sound ok ... in America! Someone else mentioned names like Madison, etc. as well. But they sound ridiculous in Ireland. And alien in France.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    not quite that name, but i do feel sorry for parents who that happens to,

reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons when Homer's name was used for the lead character in the cop show and the positives and negatives that came with that

you know, kind of like the name Justin, just a normal name, no negative connotations to anybody in particular, then Justin Bieber happens!

Yes, and a whole load of children then get called Justin for this reason. Any famous celeb or sportstar comes along and the names take off!

Slightly off topic (as it is not a name I hate): but with the above in mind, why is the name Jack suddenly so popular in recent years? I can't seem to think of any currently famous Jack or maybe I am missing someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Yes, and a whole load of children then get called Justin for this reason. Any famous celeb or sportstar comes along and the names take off!

Slightly off topic (as it is not a name I hate): but with the above in mind, why is the name Jack suddenly so popular in recent years? I can't seem to think of any currently famous Jack or maybe I am missing someone?

When I was growing up Jack was an old man's name, a nickname for "John". Usually a flat-cap wearer typically enveloped in clouds of pipe smoke.

Plenty of famous Jacks though: Jack Black, Jack White, Jack Nicholson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I thought most kids were named Billy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Jack T. Ripper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jack T. Ripper

Wasn't he called Peter?

Wasn't he called Peter?

Peter Sutcliffe "The Yorkshire Ripper" was the 1970/80s version of the 1880s original Jack T.

So that's Jack and Peter ruled out is it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Homer Jr, but all the kids called him Hoju

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i wonder how many North's we'll end up with? :pac:

North O Callaghan.

actually will we see a comeback of Catherine, Kate or George? after the royals?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Someone I know just called his baby son Maverick

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Awesome Dad for swinging that one. The lad will never be short of a wingman! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Bacchus wrote: »
    Awesome Dad for swinging that one. The lad will never be short of a wingman in his life! :pac:

Unless he can find a friend called Goose, it is just a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The OPs name was 'Isis' and that was on 31/12/2011!
    Talk about trendsetting parents.

I wonder is Isis a right little trouble maker...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Obviously named after St Maverick of Miramar.

Seriously, that kid needs to be taken into care and the parents need slapping around the ears to knock some sense into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Laoise
    Freya

They don't even sound like real names or derivatives or real names.

Another dislike of mine is female versions of male names, for e.g. Nigella, Thomasina, Patrice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The OPs name was 'Isis' and that was on 31/12/2011!
    Talk about trendsetting parents.

I wonder is Isis a right little trouble maker...

He is probably getting his vest fitted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

ratmouse wrote: »
    Laoise
    Freya

They don't even sound like real names or derivatives or real names.
    The name 'Freya' (with some different spellings) has been around for well over 1000 years, Freya/Freyja being the Norse goddess of love, fertility, war and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

A man who came to buy my car a few years ago had his twins with him - 'diesel' and 'axel'. No word of a lie.

Have come across the following too but it's a cultural thing so definitely not the worst but most unusual-
    princess, excel, exceedingly, promise, destiny, prayer, glory

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Aoifey! wrote: »
    My uncle is called JJ. He just had a little boy and named him AJ.

Suppose the next one will be called "BJ" ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Fifi trixabelle (geldof)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Darcy , uuggh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

heldel00 wrote: »

Have come across the following too but it's a cultural thing so definitely not the worst but most unusual-
    princess, excel, exceedingly, promise, destiny, prayer, glory

Surname 'Goode'? I bet the godfather was Mr Kipling...

Advertisement