Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

bren2002 wrote:
    I hope you are fully tax compliant if your landlord lives abroad. You could be stung for a large tax bill if not. The landlord could also use this as a tactic against you.

Can you explain this further please?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ken79

bren2002 wrote: »
    I hope you are fully tax compliant if your landlord lives abroad. You could be stung for a large tax bill if not. The landlord could also use this as a tactic against you.

By the way, to answer your question - yes you are being unreasonable.

Good question. We don't deduct tax but we pay into an irish bank account and her "agent" slash father in law who handles the day to day lives across the road.

Could we be stung? If so, do I have to start witholding rent to cover the tax bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

If your landlord lives abroad you are required to withhold 20% of the rent and pay it directly to revenue. You then forward the receipt to the landlord.

If you pay rent to an agent you don't need to do this. But if you pay directly to the landlords account, even an Irish one, you are liable for the tax bill.

I'm using a phone so cant post a working link.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

Ahh the link does work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

ice.cube wrote: »
    Can you explain this further please?

For non resident landlords, it's the tenant's responsibility to withhold the portion of the tax due and pay it directly to the revenue.

"Where rents are paid directly to a person whose usual place of abode is outside
    the State, the tenant is obliged to deduct income tax @ the standard rate from
    the payment (section 1041 TCA 1997). The tenant then gives the landlord a
    certificate of the tax deducted on form R 185. The landlord is entitled to claim
    relief for expenses which are usually allowed in arriving at the rental profit
    and may be entitled to a proportion of personal allowances. Note: Payment
    into a bank account in the name of the landlord is payment directly to the
    landlord."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ken79 wrote: »
    Good question. We don't deduct tax but we pay into an irish bank account and her "agent" slash father in law who handles the day to day lives across the road.

Could we be stung? If so, do I have to start witholding rent to cover the tax bill?

If you are paying directly to a landlord who lives abroad you should be withholding a portion (20%) of the rent for revenue. You should contact them and ask, they are helpful about such things.

If your landlord lives abroad you are required to withhold 20% of the rent and pay it directly to revenue. You then forward the receipt to the landlord.

If you pay rent to an agent you don't need to do this. But if you pay directly to the landlords account, even an Irish one, you are liable for the tax bill.

Okay. Thats not something I was aware of so I'm going to have to look into it.
    Thanks for that. Better to know than to be ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Which just seems ridiculous to me - why should a tenant have any interest or responsibility for a LL's tax affairs on a property they're only renting. Their job is to pay rent as agreed, not act as a tax collector/auditor.

It's kinda ironic considering the reaction the notion of LL's being responsible for tenant's IW compliance got... and rightly so. The utility bill is the responsibility of the person using the service.

But that's me.. we all know Ireland has to be "different"

So assuming your rent is €1,200 pm and you've been renting for 2 years. You owe revenue €5,760.

Correct as appropriate.

So assuming your rent is €1,200 pm and you've been renting for 2 years. You owe revenue €5,760.

Correct as appropriate.

Nonsense, revenue dont look for the money retrospectively. Ill bet the OP has a lease with an Irish address for the landlord too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Stella11

You are being unfair.. i cant believe you are asking that question.. its obvious..shes in a really difficult situation and you are trying to profit from it.. unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

You can't help gossip. You can make sure there's no truth in the gossip.

Yes but gossip is not objective in it's nature - it's entirely subjective. Once people start bad mouthing you, it's very difficult to control the spread of it. Depends on your standing in the area - whether you are a native from a respected family or if you a 'blow in'.
    Okay. Thats not something I was aware of so I'm going to have to look into it. Thanks for that. Better to know than to be ignorant.

You see, the LL in this case was clearly being a bit casual in not implementing this. It's impossible to tell whether this was deliberate or not. There are undoubtedly some people (many?) in situations like this who might like a nice handy source of tax free income.

drumswan wrote: »
    Nonsense, revenue dont look for the money retrospectively. Ill bet the OP has a lease with an Irish address for the landlord too.

Do you reckon they don't look for retrospective payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Correct as appropriate.

so is this money he'll have to pay and try and work out some refund from the landlord? or is the onus purely on him?

To be fair it is an interesting point though..

I don't know where my landlord lives although I know it's in Dublin. If they decide to move abroad in the morning and didn't tell me, how would I know?

Does the tenant get a commission/tax credit for this collector role? (don't worry, I know the answer! :))

Wonder what'd happen in such a scenario though.

ec18 wrote: »
    so is this money he'll have to pay and try and work out some refund from the landlord? or is the onus purely on him?

You'd have to ask revenue.

Do you reckon they don't look for retrospective payment?

I know it, Ive been through that situation where a landlord decided to emigrate without telling me.

The act even makes provision for it:
    The obligation to deduct tax on payment of rents does not
    make the tenant a chargeable person (section 950 TCA
    1997).[45.1.4]
    2. Payments of this nature are not charges on income. Taxed or
    other income cannot be regarded as covering these
    payments.
    2.2 Residential lettings
    In the case of residential lettings, tenants may not be aware of their
    obligation to deduct tax. This can occur either because the tenants are
    unaware that the landlord is resident abroad or because the tenants are
    unaware of the obligation to deduct tax when making payment to such
    a landlord.

I had no problem going to revenue and saying 'Ive just become aware of this, how should I proceed?"

Stella11 wrote: »
    You are being unfair.. i cant believe you are asking that question.. its obvious..shes in a really difficult situation and you are trying to profit from it.. unbelievable.

Flip it around...

Look at the threads on this forum right now about tenants who have just been hit with significant and unexpected rent increases by their landlords and who may have to move out because of it.

Is that not the LL profiting from the current market? Is it still unfair or just good business sense?

I know it, Ive been through that situation where a landlord decided to emigrate without telling me.

Interested to get first hand experience. But in this case the tenant does know the landlord lives abroad.

Correct as appropriate.
    No, my rent is only €750 and we have been renting for 13 months so it's be about €1800. So there'll be no rent for her for the next few months by the looks of it.

Would we have been liable for that or would she? It's her tax after all, not mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

cursai wrote: »
    Annnnnnnd I'm done with this thread!

Bye, see ya.

Would we have been liable for that or would she? It's her tax after all, not mine.

Based on the above it seems it's your problem - as mad as that seems to me!

I had no problem going to revenue and saying 'Ive just become aware of this, how should I proceed?"

Thank you for that. Was worried for a minute.

Interested to get first hand experience. But in this case the tenant does know the landlord lives abroad.

"or because the tenants are
    unaware of the obligation to deduct tax when making payment to such
    a landlord"

No, my rent is only €750 and we have been renting for 13 months so it's be about €1800. So there'll be no rent for her for the next few months by the looks of it.

You're liable.

True, but he wasnt aware of his obligation to hold back rent which is accounted for in the act, where it is also explicitly stated that the tenant is not a chargeable person. If he has a lease with the landlords Irish address this further confuses things.

He should contact revenue for assistance, they are not out to screw people on this one.

You're liable.

You can't read

Oh, play the ball not the man. Posting on a phone so its slower.

You can't read

Its not that clear to be fair, the tenant has an 'obligation to collect' but is 'not a chargeable person'. Hardly clear, it suggests that the tenant has an obligation to withhold the rent but no action can be taken against them if they dont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Thank you for that. Was worried for a minute.

But you do know the landlord is abroad - going by your own moral compass and desire to keep things right & proper, then surely you are obliged to see if this tax has been paid and pay it if necessary.

It reads a bit like the 'Withholding tax for professional fees' etc which you'll possibly be familiar with depending on the nature of your business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement