Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dialemma

"That being said, I'm going to extract a few bob from the situation as the lease she wants to buy me out of has a value - I just don't want to go overboard."

Merry Christmas, you're all heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Stella11

Ken79 wrote: »
    No, my rent is only €750 and we have been renting for 13 months so it's be about €1800.

do you expect sympathy for the fact she has been so decent to you in charging you so little? thats your problem not hers.. id say her father will support her and not the likes of you..mercenary lowest of the low

do the right thing. Move out within the eight weeks.. If you dont i hope you get sued and she gets a big judgment against you and noone wants to ever rent to you again..

BarryD wrote: »
    But you do know the landlord is abroad - going by your own moral compass and desire to keep things right & proper, then surely you are obliged to see if this tax has been paid and pay it if necessary.

It reads a bit like the 'Withholding tax for professional fees' etc which you'll possibly be familiar with depending on the nature of your business.

I think he's pointed out he's happy to do that.

Not sure the landlord will thank him though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Don't get me wrong - I sympathise to an extent. We were in a similar situation twenty years ago with a landlord who had emigrated to Australia, decided not to come back and wanted to sell the house we were letting from them. Our child was 1 etc. I was running a small business and so on.

So we looked around and moved in due course, paying full rent up to time we left. The only disagreeable part was trying to recover the deposit but in retrospect it was hardly worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ken79

Stella11 wrote: »
    No, my rent is only €750 and we have been renting for 13 months so it's be about €1800.

do you expect sympathy for the fact she has been so decent to you in charging you so little? thats your problem not hers.. id say her father will support her and not the likes of you..mercenary lowest of the low

do the right thing. Move out within the eight weeks.. If you dont i hope you get sued and she gets a big judgment against you and noone wants to ever rent to you again..

Such a low rent? Well if she didn't like it she shouldn't have agreed to it. It's the market rate around here anyway.

The right thing is to uphold the lease by the way. She can't and she needs me to let her off it. I have made the decent offer of moving as soon as I can and at no charge but thats not good enough for her.

So she tried to strong arm me with an illegal eviction and I'm in he wrong for replying in a solid but legally sound manner? Get real with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I'd imagine the landlord doesn't want the revenue involved either as they haven't registered with the PRTB, so I wouldn't think the OP would have to worry about the landlord going to revenue..

Such a low rent? Well if she didn't like it she shouldn't have agreed to it. It's the market rate around here anyway.

The right thing is to uphold the lease by the way. She can't and she needs me to let her off it. I have made the decent offer of moving as soon as I can and at no charge but thats not good enough for her.

So she tried to strong arm me with an illegal eviction and I'm in he wrong for replying in a solid but legally sound manner? Get real with yourself.

Such a low rent? Well if she didn't like it she shouldn't have agreed to it. It's the market rate around here anyway. Especially after we negotiated and were willing to walk away.

never mind

its not an illegal eviction. decent offer.. theres nothing decent about you.. your real username must be SHYLOCK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Are you the landlord? You really don't have a clue of how this all works judging by the bits highlighted!

zefer wrote: »
    I'd imagine the landlord doesn't want the revenue involved either as they haven't registered with the PRTB, so I wouldn't think the OP would have to worry about the landlord going to revenue..
    I wouldn't have to worry anyway. It's pretty open and shut with a fixed term lease.

In fact, if I go down that route I'll get compensation for the attempted illegal eviction.
    I've no interest in any of that though.

its not an illegal eviction. decent offer.. theres nothing decent about you.. your real username must be SHYLOCK

Telling someone to get out within 8 weeks when you don't have the right to do so is...

...wait for it...

... an illegal eviction.

Telling someone to get out within 8 weeks when you don't have the right to do so is...

...wait for it...

... an attempted illegal eviction.

no im not the landlord i just dont like people taking the pss just because they think they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

no im not the landlord i just dont like people taking the pss just because they think they can.

he's not taking the piss, he is legally entitled to remain in the house until the end of his lease, it is an illegal eviction notice by the letter of the law

You mean because they've got a legally binding contract enabling them to live in a certain property for a certain period of time?

Yeah, I hate those guys too!

It's us that'll be homeless love. They took our money when it suited. Turns out a contract applies when it doesn't suit and all.

No point getting stroppy over it. I made them the offer to go as soon as possible but that wasn't good enough and if thats not good enough for you then tough. I didn't have to the same way I didn't have to do anything else we did for her.

And we were so good to her and to have her turn around and pull a stunt like this... you need a reality check. Contracts are serious documents and you sign at your own peril.

Maybe I should add up the actual cost to me and submit the real amount instead. Because it'll not stop at my initial offer. Nowhere close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Haven't read through the whole thread, but after all this - Did the OP actually seek legal advice rather than waste time posting on here? That way he will know LEGALLY where he stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Op, have you asked the landlord what the banks next course of action is if the sale falls through? will they repossess from her?

• Advertisement

Haven't read through the whole thread, but after all this - Did the OP actually seek legal advice rather than waste time posting on here? That way he will know LEGALLY where he stands.

Yep. Been on to Threshold ages ago so I know where I stand. Just interested in if anyone has experience of a similar situation to see if there is anything that may come out of the woodwork and bite me in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

zefer wrote: »
    It's not clear whether or not the tenancy is reg with the PRTB. The LL can register on line and may not have informed the tenant - unless an acknowledgement was sent to the tenant at the tenants address and he was in receipt of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Field east wrote: »
    It's not clear whether or not the tenancy is reg with the PRTB. The LL can register on line and may not have informed the tenant - unless an acknowledgement was sent to the tenant at the tenants address and he was in receipt of it

You can check the register online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yep. Been on to Threshold ages ago so I know where I stand. Just interested in if anyone has experience of a similar situation to see if there is anything that may come out of the woodwork and bite me in the backside.

Not Threshold. They are a charity, and have been known to give incorrect advice. Did you speak to a solicitor to make sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

ec18 wrote: »
    Op, have you asked the landlord what the banks next course of action is if the sale falls through? will they repossess from her?

If this is a voluntary sale, there is no point issuing proceedings if it's only a tenant on a fixed term holding it up. By the time issued and got an order for possession the OP's lease would be well up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

drumswan wrote: »
    There are electronic payment trails to show for a mortgage, not sure what you are talking about.

More of this karma bull. People just cant bear to see an uppity tenant looking to assert their rights, and keep coming up with increasingly ludicrous scenarios in which the tenant will pay dearly for it all. Its like bloody Tess of the D'Urbervilles in here.

I've never said they shouldn't be able to assert their rights. What I'm warning them about is that it may be more damaging in the long run. You seem to think we live in a perfect world. That's naive and worse is dangerous to the OP, they could get a blackened business reputation out of this but according to you - hey who cares, they are in the right.

she only has to give you 42 days notice. that wouldnt matter to you though you just want to get what you can out of her when shes in such a bad situation.. pond scum have more of a moral compass than you.. i hope you can sleep at night..id say you sleep very well.. shylock

No, she doesn't. It's a fixed term lease.

You passing judgement on me when you haven't even had the decency to read the thread.

Not Threshold. They are a charity, and have been known to give incorrect advice. Did you speak to a solicitor to make sure?

No. I probably should and if it comes to it but I don't reckon it will. They'll be fighting an uphill battle because it's been email after email of how great we are so there is nothing she can say other than I'm selling the house.

It's a pity, we loved it here and now we've to start again despite doing all we could to provide a secure home for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

So many people are not grasping the idea of a fixed term lease at all, why in gods name would anyone even sign one if they couldnt avail of the security it provides, not only for the tennant but the landlord also. The landlords position is unfortunate but on signing the lease the OP is relying on the fact that he has full possession of the property for the term of the lease. People all over the country, go grab your fixed term leases and wipe you backside with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I have just put myself through the pain of reading the entire thread. I am left wondering why OP asked us any question, as he is apparently satisfied that he knows the answers, and is entirely reasonable.

The thread seems like a waste of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement