Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ken79

OP you are a vulture.

Karma's a b1tch, which I'm sure you will find out soon

Vulture: someone who expects a contract to be upheld or for a reasonable agreement to be reached in the event the other party wants to break that contract.

This isn't a skybox I'm renting, it's my home.

I don't know if your landlord is in the right or not, but I feel very sorry having to deal with you OP. You seem to be mostly interested in just lining your pockets.

Yes, and landlords rent houses for fun!

What do landlords do when they charge rent? They 'extract a few bob out of the situation', to use the phrase that is so offending some.

OP is merely playing the game and the vast majority of landlords in this country seem to have no issue with charging an increase in rent when they can. Why on earth would or should it be different for a tenant in a strong negotiating position?

The landlord's problems are absolutely none of their business. Do the OP have the right to break a contract or stop paying rent because they are a bit hard up? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Ken79 wrote: »
    If you read the thread you'll see that there has been nothing.

My wife has been keeping a constant check on daft and there is nothing in the local papers. We have't gone to a letting agent though - last time I went to the local ones they were all insisting on inspections every 2 months. Not happening.

I am not going to give up a lease for potentially worse conditions than I have unless it is worth my while. Nobody would because it's a really stupid thing to even contemplate.

With this post you are basically stating you won't move for anything less than perfection which, given the current market, is practically unattainable. It seems you have the perfect lease that suits YOU and expect to get that again when there are queues of people for every rental property. That's not going to happen for you, in fact, heaven help the next landlord that gets you as a tenant.

Plus you refuse to deal with letting agents, that wouldn't go in your favour if it came to a PRTB tribunal, nor would your absolute determination to get everything your own way whilst the landlord, it seems has bent over backwards to accommodate your every demand. The one thing that she cannot accomodate is an infinite notice period and you've focused on that to try and legally make this situation a lot worse for her.

The fact that you also said that you're "good at covering bases" and that the landlord glossed over the fact that it was in the written rent reduction agreement gives me the opinion that you somehow have pulled the wool over her eyes and have completely taken advantage of somebody in a very vulnerable position.

I don't envy anybody that is currently looking for accommodation in the current market but human decency it seems has gone out the window here. I'd much rather a 100% letting agent only rental market, no dealing with individual landlords, it causes too much confusion and strife.

What do you mean by this? What exactly could you do.

Chances are the sale will fall through if she agrees to give you until March. And why would she trust that you would actually move out at that point. So then either the house goes back on the market and 8 months down the line your lease is finished and she can sell hassle free, or else the bank forcloses and you are kicked out straight away.

I would agree that you hold all the cards if your landlord wanted to sell. The fact is that it is the bank that is pushing through the sale.

Why would she trust me? Because, whether she has liked it or not, I have stuck to my word at every turn and I have been upfront about everything and anything. It's not like I can hide, she can find me through my business so I have no choice to maintain a reputation for honesty. A few months rent might be a lot to most people but we would rather be left in peace.

As for the sale falling through - this should have been handled already. Why didn't she negotiate an end date to our contract before the sale went through or at the start of the process? That way none of this would be an issue.

She is the one who wants to break the lease. She would rather not obviously but she has to face up to the fact that she needs my goodwill, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

anto9 wrote: »
    Your a cute whoor .I doubt you would take me to to the cleaners from your grave .:D Like in the situation i described ,i would glady do time to get you out one way or the other .

Walter Mitty alert!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Can I ask a genuine question of those who have a difficulty with contract law here - if you had a tenant who was a bit hard up and announced they weren't going to pay the rent for the last 6 months of a contract: you'd be OK with that, yeah?

I mean, you wouldn't want to be a 'vulture' or anything would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The sooner we get to buy and stop being tenants the better. Every single house (bar one) has had issues with landlords - be it letting themselves or others into the garden unannounced, removing items that came with the house midway through the lease or this situation. You just don't get to have a stable home when renting it seems. But thats just tangental moan.

You've already acknowledged the above in your OP and whilst it is indeed tangential to your situation, it's pretty much the way it is.

So probably best just to try and move within the eight weeks. If you stay longer, then at least pay your rent and don't be looking for freebies.

And do know, that when you come to buy a house, despite your poor opinions of landlords - that estate agents and the like are a damn sight worse on average.

With this post you are basically stating you won't move for anything less than perfection which, given the current market, is practically unattainable. It seems you have the perfect lease that suits YOU and expect to get that again when there are queues of people for every rental property. That's not going to happen for you, in fact, heaven help the next landlord that gets you as a tenant.

Plus you refuse to deal with letting agents, that wouldn't go in your favour if it came to a PRTB tribunal, nor would your absolute determination to get everything your own way whilst the landlord, it seems has bent over backwards to accommodate your every demand. The one thing that she cannot accomodate is an infinite notice period and you've focused on that to try and legally make this situation a lot worse for her.

The fact that you also said that you're "good at covering bases" and that the landlord glossed over the fact that it was in the written rent reduction agreement gives me the opinion that you somehow have pulled the wool over her eyes and have completely taken advantage of somebody in a very vulnerable position.

I don't envy anybody that is currently looking for accommodation in the current market but human decency it seems has gone out the window here. I'd much rather a 100% letting agent only rental market, no dealing with individual landlords, it causes too much confusion and strife.
    No, not perfection. This house isn't perfect but it has what matters: privacy and a good degree of comfort. It has faults: damp in the bedroom, few holes in the walls, fences a little rotten but we don't care because it's private and peaceful and the sofa is comfortable. Hardly high standards there.

You are simply reading way too much into way too little.

Your second paragraph is a bit weird. Is it bad now that I'm good at covering my bases? It was in writing - a few bullet points with the not agreeing to move out within a limited timeframe being one of them. Very clear, very solid and zero ambiguity.
    There is no wool over anyones eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This isn't a skybox I'm renting, it's my home.

No , its not. Its the landlords rental property and soon to be the banks if she doesn't sell it.

you paid for a lease that was supposed to last 2 years +

it didn't work out due to finances.

the LL has been above and beyond nice.

you've had loads of time to find a new house , and now an additional 2 months to do so.

you want to milk this landlord because others have put up rents aswell.

come off it OP. You are the nightmare every landlord dreads.

No, not perfection. This house isn't perfect but it has what matters: privacy and a good degree of comfort. It has faults: damp in the bedroom, few holes in the walls, fences a little rotten but we don't care because it's private and peaceful and the sofa is comfortable. Hardly high standards there.

Your second point is silly. I won't allow inspection every two months and thats what the local letting agents are asking for. I stand over that and anyone who doesn't like it can go swing. Give me a letting agent not tailored to kids and great, I'm in.

Your third paragraph is a bit weird. Is it bad now that I'm good at covering my bases? It was in writing - a few bullet points with the not agreeing to move out within a limited timeframe being one of them. Very clear, very solid and zero ambiguity.

• Advertisement

No , its not. Its the landlords rental property and soon to be the banks if she doesn't sell it.

Says it all.

BarryD wrote: »
    You've already acknowledged the above in your OP and whilst it is indeed tangential to your situation, it's pretty much the way it is.

So probably best just to try and move within the eight weeks. If you stay longer, then at least pay your rent and don't be looking for freebies.

And do know, that when you come to buy a house, despite your poor opinions of landlords - that estate agents and the like are a damn sight worse on average.

As I said, I wont do anything that invalidates my leae as that would be wrong. An agreement is an agreement and it will be stuck to until an alternative is negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

All I want is the letter of the law - or a reasonable compromise if she wants to break a contract.

no all you want is the letter of the law or your demands. Theres been no attempt of a compromise your end.

don't kid yourself a compromise is meeting in the middle. I.e you want 4 months rent free she offers 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

REXER wrote: »
    Walter Mitty alert!! :rolleyes:

As i said i have been a landlord in Dublin in the past .I am the most quiet mild mannered man you could meet ,until pushed to the limit .I feel that the OP is the type of creep who could push me to the absolute limit .:D

A bit of common decency or respect for yourself. This isn't some faceless bank you're trying to squeeze, it's a person who you knew was in a desperate position. Trying to make a profit off it is a dick move.

Common decency goes both ways. And it goes right out the window the minute you try to steamroll me.

This is a business arrangement. I want the best for them - I went without a fridge/freezer for 2 months to wait for it to be repaired rather than forcing her to replace it. I paid months rent in advance to help them with the bank.

I have already done far more than they have a right to expect and you are blasting me because I won't allow someone forsake the law in the name of convenience?

Even the landlord has repeatedly said how lucky they are to have us because we are model tenants.

I'm not expecting a model landlord but I am expecting a minimum level of consideration and if thats not forthcoming then I treat it like the business arrangement it is. This should have been dealt with from the outset if us being here was going to be an issue. Not with an illegal eviction notice when it suits them.

D3PO wrote: »
    no all you want is the letter of the law or your demands. Theres been no attempt of a compromise your end.

don't kid yourself a compromise is meeting in the middle. I.e you want 4 months rent free she offers 2.

There is no compromise in contract law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Given all of what you have posted in this thread I am reading out of it that you are going to hold out for the perfect property for You, and to hell with the landlords timeframe, given that they are in a worse situation themselves. The fact that the bank has forced the sale would lead me to believe that the landlord will be left with a large loan to pay off to the bank after the purchase price has been paid back. It won't just be over for the landlord, but you will walk away without any ties. One of the upsides of renting.

By privacy I assume you mean that the landlord stays the hell away, as they're abroad it is to your advantage, given that you won't allow inspections if you went through a letting agency. Unfortunately, when renting, Landlords and their agents have a right to periodically inspect the premises with adequate notice. I doubt you'll find a contract that will agree to complete privacy without periodic inspection.
    Your second paragraph is a bit weird. Is it bad now that I'm good at my bases? It was in writing - a few bullet points with the not agreeing to move out within a limited timeframe being one of them. Very clear, very solid and zero ambiguity.
    Anybody can draw up a contract with it being favourable to themselves, you're effectively holding all the cards here. The landlord is the one with their hands tied here, yet must abide by your demands.

come off it OP. You are the nightmare every landlord dreads.

Yes, someone who wants a contract upheld or alternatively some form of compensation!

I am sure you would be all sweetness and light if your tenants decided to stop paying rent tomorrow. No way on earth you would wave a contract at them. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Your a cute whoor .I doubt you would take me to to the cleaners from your grave .:D Like in the situation i described ,i would glady do time to get you out one way or the other .

anto, would you not go back over to the 'Ireland's hardest man' thread before you get this thread closed with your silliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

As i said i have been a landlord in Dublin in the past .I am the most quiet mild mannered man you could meet ,until pushed to the limit .I feel that the OP is the type of creep who could push me to the absolute limit .:D

Will you be quiet Walter, you are embarrassing yourself.
    Sums it all up. The renter is viewed as some peasant who should bend over backwards to accommodate the almighty property owner, regardless of contracts, the law or personal responsibility.

• Advertisement

I want to stay until my lease is over. This is a good compromise for her. Up to a max of 2 grand for buying out a lease? If anything I'm being way overgenerous considering I have her over a barrel. Understand that, if I asked for 5 grand cash she will give it to me because she has no choice but I'm not because that would be greedy.

Remember, we could find a place next month or the month after. We cannot afford to wait until March because the houses are not there and we will have to take the first suitable one that comes along. Come March we will have to contend with letting agents and their bi-monthly inspections which I find intolerable.

There is no compromise in contract law.

irrelevant as were talking outside the scope of the contract.

the op either wants to force them to abide by the contract(lease) or negotiate outside of it which involved compromise on your demands to find that middle ground.

irrelevant as were talking outside the scope of the contract.

the op either wants to force them to abide by the contract(lease) or negotiate outside of it which involved compromise on your demands to find that middle ground.

What are you talking about? The fact that you personally find the OPs conduct distasteful and are floundering around for potential karmic consequences doesnt change the fact that he holds all the cards here. He has a fixed term lease and no obligation to give it up, if the LL wants to buy him out of it thats her prerogative.

Given all of what you have posted in this thread I am reading out of it that you are going to hold out for the perfect property for You, and to hell with the landlords timeframe, given that they are in a worse situation themselves. The fact that the bank has forced the sale would lead me to believe that the landlord will be left with a large loan to pay off to the bank after the purchase price has been paid back. It won't just be over for the landlord, but you will walk away without any ties. One of the upsides of renting.

By privacy I assume you mean that the landlord stays the hell away, as they're abroad it is to your advantage, given that you won't allow inspections if you went through a letting agency. Unfortunately, when renting, Landlords and their agents have a right to periodically inspect the premises with adequate notice. I doubt you'll find a contract that will agree to complete privacy without periodic inspection.
    Inspections are fine. Bi-monthly ones are not.

I'm a married man trying to start a family and running a business, not some teenager.

I'm rather surprised to have to point this out since I'm pretty sure I was clear that it was the frequency of the inspection that was the problem, not the inspections.

Even here, we'd have her dad-in law in and around the place regularly which is fine because he doesn't think he can go nosing through our bedroom.
    Anybody can draw up a contract with it being favourable to themselves, you're effectively holding all the cards here. The landlord is the one with their hands tied here, yet must abide by your demands.
    Right so it's shifted from pulling the wool over their eyes to being a shrewd negotiator. I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

And it goes right out the window the minute you try to steamroll me.

I love this steamroll business. You have had 3 months to find somewhere and you have not viewed a single house after agreeing that you would look for alternative accommodation. I know their is a rental crisis in Dublin but not 1 house worth viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes, someone who wants a contract upheld or alternatively some form of compensation!

I am sure you would be all sweetness and light if your tenants decided to stop paying rent tomorrow. No way on earth you would wave a contract at them. No way.

I am a renter, not a landlord. Contractual issues aside, If my landlord needed to sell the house , had told me about it for a long time , I had months of notice that it could be sold and then finally was given 8 weeks to pack up and go , I would have left before the 8 weeks even finished, and kept paying rent until the day I had a new house to go to.

The most I would ever expect from a landlord in this scenario is perhaps a week of leeway from when I started paying rent on a new property to when I could get all my stuff moved over. That would be reasonable in my book.

The OP incorrectly views this property as their home, which it is not. OP your treating it like somebody is booting you out of somewhere you were going to be forever , if you channeled as much of your emotional anger into finding a new house rather than trying to fcuk over a woman who's about to lose hers , I'm sure you'd be fine.

I don't see anybody in disagreement that the OP should expect some form of compensation to lease their lease early.

Theres a difference in this and the view that the OP wants to get everything they can. That is where the issue is.

Back to the Ops question are they being reasonable ? I don't believe they are.

It be reasonable to say to the LL look I have 11 months left on my contract, the only properties I see due to the market are €200 a month more than Im paying. I don't feel I should be out of pocket, and a move will equally incure me moving expenses and a loss of 1 - 2 days work as I work form home.

My proposal is you return my deposit plus €200 x 11 so Im not at the loss for increased rent I will have to pay, plus you pay for the movers which I have a quote for X at and also you cover mmmy lost of earnings of X.

If you do this then Im willing to move.

That's reasonable. Telling the LL I want all my rent free until I find somewhere I deem suitable (leaving the LL open to the OP taking the piss and taking the 11 months to find something Ie paying no more rent) that's a joke and in no way reasonable.

being reasonable is finding compromise. The OPs position is to screw the LL for every penny not to prevent themselves from being at a loss. That's what makes it unreasonable.

drumswan wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The fact that you personally find the OPs conduct distasteful and are floundering around for potential karmic consequences doesnt change the fact that he holds all the cards here. He has a fixed term lease and no obligation to give it up, if the LL wants to buy him out of it thats her prerogative.

this doesn't even respond to my post but carry on :rolleyes:

this thread title is "am I being unreasonable ?"

It is not what are my legal obligations. We have established the OP has no legal obligation to leave before the end of their lease.

so lets get back to the thread title can we...

Having all the cards doesn't make their demands reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I sense a strong sense of entitlement!

• Advertisement

I am a renter, not a landlord. Contractual issues aside, If my landlord needed to sell the house , had told me about it for a long time , I had months of notice that it could be sold and then finally was given 8 weeks to pack up and go , I would have left before the 8 weeks even finished, and kept paying rent until the day I had a new house to go to.

The most I would ever expect from a landlord in this scenario is perhaps a week of leeway from when I started paying rent on a new property to when I could get all my stuff moved over. That would be reasonable in my book.
    Then frankly you are a fool. Why bother with a fixed term lease at all? Sure you could just ring your landlord every week to see if it was OK for you to stay the next.
    The OP incorrectly views this property as their home, which it is not.
    You must be trolling. A rented home is not a home now? Someone better tell the Germans and French about their huge homeless problem, I dont think they know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement