Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 20 - Pettis, Melendez, Aisling Daly **SPOILERS** **See Mod Note OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

darced wrote: »

That fight was about 10 weeks ago... You can't say she was overweight then as she probably hadn't even began cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Life Degen wrote: »
    That fight was about 10 weeks ago... You can't say she was overweight then as she probably hadn't even began cutting.
    If you have to cut any more than a few kg's to get to fight weight, then you're overweight.

To be clear, I consider fight weight to be your weight 7 days out. Essentially close to the weight you'll be in the cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

On that TUF talk poll... who will win the belt currently Carla 13% Rose 87% is it that clear?

Maybe the general public have not liked Carla's role in the bullying/bitching that went on during the series? UFC posted on twitter to retweet who you want to win and Carla currently has 137 compared to a whooping 863 for Rose so virtually identical figures.
    darced wrote: »

At her odds I see it as too much of a risk considering what everyone has said and also Ais missing weight. She didn't look to steady on her feet during the weigh ins either :( Hopefully none of this matters and Ais gets a win tonight. Weigh in video below

http://youtu.be/0cGHe6xf-0U?t=2m54s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mellor wrote: »
    If you have to cut any more than a few kg's to get to fight weight, then you're overweight.

To be clear, I consider fight weight to be your weight 7 days out. Essentially close to the weight you'll be in the cage.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with my statement or not..

Just out of curiosity, how would you define a few kg's? A friend of mine recently cut 7kg a week out from his fight. What would be your take on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

There is a difference between loosing weight(body fat and a little muscle) and weight cutting.

Through diet and training you should get into a good position to limit the amount you need to cut.

The cutting process is a fine line, where you shed water weight. It has a positive effect up to a point allowing you to quickly up your weight after weigh ins, but if rely on the cut to loose to much weight you drain your body to a point where its very hard to bounce back and perform close your ability.

The amount you can loose depends on the person , sex, your size and body comp. The bigger you are generally the more weight you can cut.

So big difference your mate dropping 7kg in a week and a small girl trying to cut the same weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Life Degen wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're agreeing with my statement or not..

Just out of curiosity, how would you define a few kg's? A friend of mine recently cut 7kg a week out from his fight. What would be your take on that?
    Basically, imo every fighter has their "fight weight", which is the weight they can cut from a week out. This obviously varies depending on the fighter and the weight limit.
    But beyond that, your overweight. Be it 5lbs or 25lbs.

As for your friend, if he made the cut, then it was within range. 7kg is a normal weight cut, size depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

What I find strange is she must have made weight twice in the tuf house. A place where we saw her struggle. And now with a full proper training camp, back home where shes more comfortable she can't. Thinking about it they didn't show anyone struggling to make weight apart from the Justine girl. Usually theres a few close calls the seasons I've watched at least. Did they actually fight at 115 on the show?

Kazooie wrote: »
    What I find strange is she must have made weight twice in the tuf house. A place where we saw her struggle. And now with a full proper training camp, back home where shes more comfortable she can't. Thinking about it they didn't show anyone struggling to make weight apart from the Justine girl. Usually theres a few close calls the seasons I've watched at least. Did they actually fight at 115 on the show?

Well yes, but during the filming of TUF she was based in Vegas for the duration and probably didn't need to cut much knowing the type of competition. I think(Im sure someone with a better understanding can confirm or deny) that flying, temp.difference, etc between Dublin & Vegas a week(or 2 maybe) before a fight could throw the body into disarray making the weight cut more difficult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

She obviously messed up and has no one but herself to blame. She should have shed more fat during her camp to make the cut easier. It sucks but at the end of the day it's very unprofessional.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Ais' fight isn't on tv(unless replayed), its due to be on fight pass from 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Devastator wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but Ais' fight isn't on tv(unless replayed), its due to be on fight pass from 11.

Not even BT Sports?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Not even BT Sports?

Not by look of uk.ufc.com BTsport coverage starts at 12 according to it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fingers crossed she gets a big win tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Something I just thought of.......

In the preview for the show they showed Ais unconscious in the house needing assistance. They never showed us that in any of the episodes though. Unless I missed it?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Something I just thought of.......

In the preview for the show they showed Ais unconscious in the house needing assistance. They never showed us that in any of the episodes though. Unless I missed it?

I think she fainted while making weight in the bath or something (according to at Calderwood interview).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gumbi wrote: »
    I think she fainted while making weight in the bath or something (according to at Calderwood interview).

Yeah but they never showed it on the show even though it was a major part of the preview before the series started

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah but they never showed it on the show even though it was a major part of the preview before the series started

True. Someone made a good comment somewhere though, perhaps they don't want to glamorise that aspect of WMMA because of the implications it can have for women in particular.

PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Man those were nasty knees was thinking it would be a difficult 1st round to score but that last minute was all one way traffic.

Emily is messed up. Don't see this going to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Absolute massacre that was.

C'MON AISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ais's groundgame is slick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is that Paddy Hoolahan screaming

ShaneU wrote: »