Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst to first, zero to hero

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think the cowboys will win or the eagles will finish bottom but it wouldn't shock me at all if that happened. I think any of the teams could finish top and any of them could finish bottom .

I could easily see 2 games separating all 4 teams come the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I don’t understand people picking the Redskins or Cowboys over the Eagles this season. The Eagles took the division last year and had the third best offense in the NFL. They now have powerful strong play at the quarterback position and a good running back. The Eagles have the best chance of taking the NFC East.

I’m going to the Eagles/Jets game tomorrow night and the first two quarters should be interesting as both teams starting and backup quarterbacks look good, and expect to see good plays from the running backs. The production from the receiving corps will determine the game. Eagles have a better defense than the Jets though. I think the last two quarters will be much ado about nothing as I think they'll put a lot of guys in who are expecting to get cut when they go down to the 53 man roster this weekend, so they can showcase them off for other teams possibly needing roster pickups.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Vikings and Texans would be the glaring ones for me. QB too big an issue for the former, so I will go with Teddy Cassell and the Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The NFC East is the weakest division in football tbh. The Eagles should comfortably win it & I wouldn't expect any of the other 3 to be better than 7-9. It's not a crapshoot, it's just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

glued wrote: »
    Don't worry I think the NFL have bigger fish to fry. Do you think that the Eagles could finish bottom? Do you think the Cowboys will win the division? Eagles were 10-6 last season too, Washington the year before. It's a tough division where anyone could beat anyone but the Eagles aren't going to finish last and the Cowboys aren't going to win anything. It's not as tight as everybody would like to make out.

Crapshoot is also just a silly Americanism.
    I don't think that word means what you think it does.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/crapshoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The NFC East is the weakest division in football tbh.

AFC South for me at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/crapshoot

I do know what it means and it certainly is a poor description of the NFC East.

glued wrote: »
    I do know what it means and it certainly is a poor description of the NFC East.

It says nothing about quality, which you clearly implied you thought it did, it just means it's difficult to call, which you yourself said. Either you don't understand crapshoot, or you don't understand slander, it's your call.

On topic, the Texans would be my prediction. Quarterback issues notwithstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The East is awful, to be fair; and has been for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This amazing streak could be at an end this week if the Pats, Colts and Bengals all win their games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

You could count Falcons as last place finishers last year and they're still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

madalig12 wrote: »
    Im sticking with...no team will do this this year.

Lose falcons.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

AFC:

Bills no chance

Browns a game and a half behind, effectively no chance

Colts play the Texans, if Texans win they are only a game behind (no idea who has the tiebreaker)

Raiders :pac:

NFC:

Redskins, nada

Vikings, nada

Buccaneers, nada

Rams, nope

Texans are the only team with a chance and they are a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hazys wrote: »

NFC:

Buccaneers, nada

Texans are the only team with a chance and they are a long shot.

Bucs & Falcons finished on 4-12 last year

If the Falcons win the NFC South the streak continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

mikemac1 wrote: »

Technically even tho they both finished with the same record, the Bucs were last because of tie breakers.

Although the NFL flipped a coin between them to sort the order in the draft.

Technically the Bills could do it if they win all their games and the Pats lose to the Dolphins and the Jets, and the Dolphins don't win any other game apart from the Pats.

Actually you're right, no chance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

mikemac1 wrote: »

No it doesn't. The Falcons finished ahead of the Buccs on tie breakers... hence the Buccs were worst in the division.

Since Mike is unfortunately not around any more (as an aside I hope you're keeping well if you're reading this mate!) I thought I'd give it a bump.

The Redskins got this back on track by winning the NFC East this year. It's now 14 out of the last 16 seasons that a team who has finished bottom of their division has won it the very next year.

The candidates for 2016/2017 will be:

Dolphins
    Chargers
    Browns
    Titans
    Cowboys
    49ers
    Bears
    Buccaneers

It's way too early obviously, but if I had to pick now I think the Cowboys would be by far and away the best pick to do it next year.

It seems to be a crapshoot every year. I definitely wouldn't have picked the Redskins this year, so I'm just going to go ahead and pick the Bears next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

There are some strong candidates for next year. You could def see the Bears & Cowgirls having a run at it. The Chargers could also be a shout with players back fit.

If I had to call now however I would go with the Bucs. Can see big improvement from Jameis next year which could put them in with a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Go Niners!

A few too many gaps to be filled this off season for the bears, and lack of depth, to do it this year. 2017 maybe. Cowboys are the obvious choice, but there again the non obvious choice seems to do it pretty often.

So... Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Bucs or Cowboys. Wish it was the Bears but don't think so with the Packers likely rebounding and the Vikes being very tough under Zimmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Titans for me. AFC South is possibly the weakest division in the league right now.

14 out of the last 16 seasons now that a team who has finished last in their division has gone to win their division the following season. The Redskins did the business last season.

This upcoming season gives us some strong options:

49ers
    Bears
    Browns
    Buccaneers
    Chargers
    Cowboys
    Dolphins
    Titans

Dallas look by far the most likely IMO.

Paully D wrote: »
    14 out of the last 16 seasons now that a team who has finished last in their division has gone to win their division the following season. The Redskins did the business last season.

This upcoming season gives us some strong options:

49ers
    Bears
    Browns
    Buccaneers
    Chargers
    Cowboys
    Dolphins
    Titans

Dallas look by far the most likely IMO.

Not been following the Afc south but wouldn't be very shocked if the Titans were to come out on top there myself. Would be absolutely shocked if the 9ers, Bears, Browns, or Bucks did it though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not been following the Afc south but wouldn't be very shocked if the Titans were to come out on top there myself. Would be absolutely shocked if the 9ers, Bears, Browns, or Bucks did it though.

I expected the Titans to be much improved but not win the division.

I really think the Jags could do well this year and the titans could finish 2nd.

I'm going with the Chargers.

Fancy Bears to be much improved, but Green Bay have with Nelson back, and something like 3 or 4 of the OL in contract years, so I think they'll be back to form with Rodgers hitting MVP levels again.

Buccs impressed me at times last year, as well, so they'd be my other shout.

Side, if somewhat related, note; Genuinely think that this season could be one of the most competitive, in terms of each division, in a long while.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm going with the Chargers.

Fancy Bears to be much improved, but Green Bay have with Nelson back, and something like 3 or 4 of the OL in contract years, so I think they'll be back to form with Rodgers hitting MVP levels again.
    I think the Bears will be a much tougher opponent than they're likely to be getting credit for this year, but even setting aside the packers, the Vikings are also trending upward. Hard to envision a situation where they could make the playoffs.

• Advertisement

I think the Bears will be a much tougher opponent than they're likely to be getting credit for this year, but even setting aside the packers, the Vikings are also trending upward. Hard to envision a situation where they could make the playoffs.

Yeah, I had thought Vikings would win the division last year, I believe. But this season, I actually think they'll underachieve, relatively speaking. I'm not seeing the ability in Teddy to step up and win the games with his arm, and Peterson is 31 years old now.

That defense is impressive, for sure, and I love Zimmer, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they finished last this year.

Advertisement