Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Worst to first, zero to hero

1235

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭ Jolly Red Giant


    Paully D wrote: »
    14 out of the last 16 seasons now that a team who has finished last in their division has gone to win their division the following season. The Redskins did the business last season.

    This upcoming season gives us some strong options:

    49ers
    Bears
    Browns
    Buccaneers
    Chargers
    Cowboys
    Dolphins
    Titans

    Dallas look by far the most likely IMO.
    49ers are a mess and there is no indication that things are improving

    The Bears will be stronger. Fox is just the HC they need - stabilise things and get the best out of what he has. They could challenge.

    Browns, Bucs and Chargers won't be at the races.

    Cowboys should improve and I think Gase has the potential as a HC to turn around the Fins.

    Titans could spring a surprise.

    I think the most improved team next season will be the Raiders.


    (Just noticed that the three teams I commented on all have HCs that are former Broncos coaches)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭ mikemac2


    *bump*

    Cowboys achieved this last year improving from 4-12 to a mighty 13-3

    15 out of the last 17 years a team that finished last in their division won it the next year

    Your options this year are:
    Jets
    Browns
    Jaguars
    Chargers
    Eagles
    Bears
    Panthers
    49'ers

    Every year people say it won't happen but statistics show it almost always does

    Anyone want to make a bold prediction?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ BaronVon


    The only really viable option is the Panthers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭ Guffy


    mikemac2 wrote: »
    *bump*

    Cowboys achieved this last year improving from 4-12 to a mighty 13-3

    15 out of the last 17 years a team that finished last in their division won it the next year

    Your options this year are:
    Jets
    Browns
    Jaguars
    Chargers
    Eagles
    Bears
    Panthers
    49'ers

    Every year people say it won't happen but statistics show it almost always does

    Anyone want to make a bold prediction?

    Not a terrific start health wise for LA but if they CAN stay healthy ling term, i think 9 wins could see them winning their division.

    I also fancy the Eagles strongly to win their division.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭ UnitedIrishman


    Eagles for me are the best chance. Think Wemtz could have a big season.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ Realt Dearg Sec


    Eagles and Panthers both disappointed last year. Reading my comments last year I was cautiously optimistic about the bears maybe coming third, and that turned out to be a wild over estimate of their abilities. I won't be making that mistake again.

    Even though I'm secretly optimistic as ****.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭ madalig12


    Im going with....none of them will do it...third times the charm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ D9Male


    Eagles Panthers and Chargers all look to have realistic prospects.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ D9Male


    Eagles, Panthers and Chargers all look to have realistic prospects.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ Billy86


    For those looking for a gamble, Rams at 25/1 to win the NFC West looks pretty tempting in my opinion. Seahawks are definitely the favourites of course so you'd be hoping for them to slip a bit, but the 49ers are absolutely wretched. The Cardinals are decent but Palmer is 37 now and fell off a good bit last year, I just have a feeling they'll be a bit flat. All depends on how Goff does of course but he's looked good in preseason, has Gurley behind him and now Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods has two pretty legit WRs to throw to, we know their defense can be flat out nasty a lot of the time, and McVay is getting a lot of positive feedback (just the fact that they're free from Jeff Fisher is a major bonus in itself). I know they didn't come last last year, but still, just pondering.

    My most likely money for going from bottom to top would be the Panthers followed by the Eagles.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭ adrian522


    mikemac2 wrote: »
    *bump*

    Cowboys achieved this last year improving from 4-12 to a mighty 13-3

    15 out of the last 17 years a team that finished last in their division won it the next year

    Your options this year are:
    Jets - 4th
    Browns - 4th
    Jaguars - 1st
    Chargers - 2nd
    Eagles - 1st
    Bears - 4th
    Panthers - 2nd
    49'ers - 4th

    Every year people say it won't happen but statistics show it almost always does

    Anyone want to make a bold prediction?

    So Jags and Eagles both keep the run going. The Rams go from 32nd in scoring to 1st in scoring!


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭ Guffy


    Billy86 wrote: »
    For those looking for a gamble, Rams at 25/1 to win the NFC West looks pretty tempting in my opinion. Seahawks are definitely the favourites of course so you'd be hoping for them to slip a bit, but the 49ers are absolutely wretched. The Cardinals are decent but Palmer is 37 now and fell off a good bit last year, I just have a feeling they'll be a bit flat. All depends on how Goff does of course but he's looked good in preseason, has Gurley behind him and now Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods has two pretty legit WRs to throw to, we know their defense can be flat out nasty a lot of the time, and McVay is getting a lot of positive feedback (just the fact that they're free from Jeff Fisher is a major bonus in itself). I know they didn't come last last year, but still, just pondering.

    My most likely money for going from bottom to top would be the Panthers followed by the Eagles.

    Cracking call here. Paid for a lot of my xmas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭ MightyMandarin


    Any early predictions for next year from this year's list?

    Jets
    Broncos
    Browns
    Texans

    Giants
    49ers
    Bears
    Buccaneers

    I have to say 49ers are my pick here. Jimmy G turned that team around the past few weeks and with a good offseason and his #1 WR back, they should do much better next year.

    Texans are another great shout considering how they looked when Watson was fit but that team is always riddled with injuries to their best players.

    Shout out to the Browns for making no progress next year. Even with a bazillion draft picks, they'll do **** all as long as Jackson is in charge and it seems he's there to stay.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ Billy86


    Guffy wrote: »
    Cracking call here. Paid for a lot of my xmas.
    I forgot to put the bet on! :mad:

    Had actually planned to do the Jags too at 25/1, either tenner on each and fiver on the double, or a score on each and tenner on the double... would've paid off at about €3,900 or €7,800. Sick is not even the word, that would without a doubt have been the best bet I'd have ever made in my life. :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭ Mysterypunter


    adrian522 wrote: »
    So Jags and Eagles both keep the run going. The Rams go from 32nd in scoring to 1st in scoring!

    Eagles worst to best :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭ mikemac2


    *bump*

    16 out of the last 18 years a team that finished last in their division won it the next year

    Eagles and Rams both went from zero to hero last year. Who can do it this year?

    New York Jets
    Denver Broncos
    Cleveland Browns
    Houston Texans
    New York Giants
    San Francisco 49'ers
    Chicago Bears
    Tampa Bay Buccanners


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭ mikemac2


    I'm going with the Texans

    Deshaun Watson back and many other players back healthy. The Colts and Titans may have solid seasons but I don't see them playoff bound and it will be difficult for the Jags to keep the division title


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ Realt Dearg Sec


    mikemac2 wrote: »
    *bump*

    16 out of the last 18 years a team that finished last in their division won it the next year

    Eagles and Rams both went from zero to hero last year. Who can do it this year?

    New York Jets
    Denver Broncos
    Cleveland Browns
    Houston Texans
    New York Giants
    San Francisco 49'ers
    Chicago Bears
    Tampa Bay Buccanners

    The bears.

    Just kidding, nobody.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭ ScummyMan


    The Niners look like the most likely for me. Seattle is a sh!tshow, the Cards will be starting a rookie once Bradford blows his knee out again, and we may see some regression from the Rams.


  • Registered Users Posts: 35,010 ✭✭✭✭ LuckyLloyd


    Denver

    Their QB situation last year was absolutely shambolic as the season developed. Their defense generally, but their rushing defense specifically, is pretty stout and they lost little on that side of the ball. They have a significant upgrade at the QB position and retain plenty of weaponry with the addition of some nice rookie talent like Freeman and Sutton to supplement.

    The Chiefs have a new QB; The Raiders have an entirely new regime; and LA - while highly touted - have it all to prove though last year was admittedly positive under Lynn.

    I just think there's a much better opportunity there than people may think, largely because I think the overall talent level was far better than their 5 - 11 record. After a positive preseason they came out of the traps 3 - 1 before their young QB faltered badly. At a certain point they quit.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭ Jolly Red Giant


    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Denver

    Their QB situation last year was absolutely shambolic as the season developed. Their defense generally, but their rushing defense specifically, is pretty stout and they lost little on that side of the ball. They have a significant upgrade at the QB position and retain plenty of weaponry with the addition of some nice rookie talent like Freeman and Sutton to supplement.

    The Chiefs have a new QB; The Raiders have an entirely new regime; and LA - while highly touted - have it all to prove though last year was admittedly positive under Lynn.

    I just think there's a much better opportunity there than people may think, largely because I think the overall talent level was far better than their 5 - 11 record. After a positive preseason they came out of the traps 3 - 1 before their young QB faltered badly. At a certain point they quit.

    The AFC West is going to be competitive this year - and the finishing order could be any of numerous combinations.

    The Broncos have a chance - but only if the entire OL stays healthy.

    I think Darnold could lift the Jets - maybe not to win their division - but they will be better than last year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 Paully D


    mikemac2 wrote: »
    *bump*

    16 out of the last 18 years a team that finished last in their division won it the next year

    Eagles and Rams both went from zero to hero last year. Who can do it this year?

    New York Jets
    Denver Broncos
    Cleveland Browns
    Houston Texans
    New York Giants
    San Francisco 49'ers
    Chicago Bears
    Tampa Bay Buccanners

    Some great options this year. A few times have a really good shot.

    My audacious prediction - at least 3 of these 4 teams will do it, in no particular order:

    1) 49ers
    2) Giants
    3) Texans
    4) Buccaneers


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭ nerd69


    Texans if Watson stays healthy(and watt but he may be a bigger if at this point) they could be a Serious team

    Also the giants offence could be insane if they get any kind of blocking


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ D9Male


    New York Jets....should improve, but very little chance of winning a division with the Patriots
    Denver Broncos.....they could be a very good team with a lot of defensive stars. I would say they have a reasonable chance of doing it, as their division opponents are all okay, but not great.
    Cleveland Browns....the only way is up, but I think their division is too strong.
    Houston Texans.....personally I see them having a tough year, with Watson being behind a poor line.
    New York Giants.....I don't think they will have a good year this year, and the Eagles will make it tough.
    San Francisco 49'ers....I am not as high on them as others, but I think their division is weak this year. I am not a McVeigh truther. Reasonable chance.
    Chicago Bears....very tough division, similar to the Browns, they may see real improvement but I reckon 6 wins.
    Tampa Bay Buccanners.....see Bears

    No obvious choices this year, but if I was to pick one, I would go with the Broncos, 49ers and Giants in that order.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭ adrian522


    The bears.

    Just kidding, nobody.

    Wrong as usual.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ D9Male


    D9Male wrote: »
    New York Jets....should improve, but very little chance of winning a division with the Patriots
    Denver Broncos.....they could be a very good team with a lot of defensive stars. I would say they have a reasonable chance of doing it, as their division opponents are all okay, but not great.
    Cleveland Browns....the only way is up, but I think their division is too strong.
    Houston Texans.....personally I see them having a tough year, with Watson being behind a poor line.
    New York Giants.....I don't think they will have a good year this year, and the Eagles will make it tough.
    San Francisco 49'ers....I am not as high on them as others, but I think their division is weak this year. I am not a McVeigh truther. Reasonable chance.
    Chicago Bears....very tough division, similar to the Browns, they may see real improvement but I reckon 6 wins.
    Tampa Bay Buccanners.....see Bears

    No obvious choices this year, but if I was to pick one, I would go with the Broncos, 49ers and Giants in that order.

    Jesus I am a moron.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    If the Bears didn't go from zero to hero after the Khalil Mack trade and trading up for Anthony Miller then it would have been a disaster. They only have a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th in the 2019 draft.

    1st and 6th -> Went to Oakland for Mack
    2nd -> Went to NE to pick Anthony Miller

    Atlanta went the other way this year but you can't discount the key injuries on defense and the loss of Freeman.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ Realt Dearg Sec


    adrian522 wrote: »
    The bears.

    Just kidding, nobody.

    Wrong as usual.
    That was a pre-Mack-diction


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭ Foxtrol


    If the Bears didn't go from zero to hero after the Khalil Mack trade and trading up for Anthony Miller then it would have been a disaster. They only have a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th in the 2019 draft.

    1st and 6th -> Went to Oakland for Mack
    2nd -> Went to NE to pick Anthony Miller

    Atlanta went the other way this year but you can't discount the key injuries on defense and the loss of Freeman.

    After the Mack signing they pretty much spent all of their cap space too. Don't think there's too much room to play with for next year


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ Realt Dearg Sec


    Bears have about 20 million in cap space next year (estimated). Not great like it's been the last few years, but not a nightmare. The problem comes when trubisky has to be renewed. Can't afford Mack and a QB.


Advertisement