Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Thanks for that suggestion, thats exactly what i was thinking of.
    But i'm a big chap and i wasn't sure id pull it off for the day.

Only one way to find out i suppose.. Might even post a picture to get opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm looking to do something similar for a wedding this weekend, navy blazer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Italians can get away with an awful lot more than your average Irish person.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMHO only in fashion myth Jimmy. I've been around Italy back in the say and have even attended an Italian wedding and yes their fashion sense and awareness is higher than the average Irish affair, but the underlying "raw material" of the folks themselves is not so different. Irish guys can even have the general advantage of height. So the spezzato look that H suggests could work pretty well IMH. Though I would reckon personally that said look works better the skinnier you are. It can look odd on the chunkier guys among us. A suit is a far better bet there, again just in my humble.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Post a picture and let us decide, you are among friends here :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what about the others at the wedding are you considering them.
    will they know you've shown up in the spezzato look and deem you quite fashionable or will they think you're some clown who's not got a proper suit

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what about the others at the wedding are you considering them.
    will they know you've shown up in the spezzato look and deem you quite fashionable or will they think you're some clown who's not got a proper suit

Feck them, once im happy and comfortable with what im wearing then it'll be grand

Feck them, once im happy and comfortable with what im wearing then it'll be grand

yeah true. though a lot of people consider others (impressing partners) when choosing their style, etc.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah true. though a lot of people consider others (impressing partners) when choosing their style, etc.

I'm going with a group of lads so no issue there

I'm going with a group of lads so no issue there

and who are you planning on leaving with? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hey lads (and lurking ladies!)

I've a couple of Xmas dos coming up and wear suits all the time.

I want to find some slim fitting tops, not plain tshirts but not a shirt either. The only way I can describe them is "going out tops".

I'll tidy it off with nice jeans and smart shoes.

The fit is important too though as otherwise it looks like a flag on a beanpole!

I've checked the likes of Diesel and G Star online but found nothing there.

Any suggestions?

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Like a polo shirt?

Cheers but I'm an awkward b****** - more like a fancy tshirt type fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

everlast75 wrote: »
    Cheers but I'm an awkward b****** - more like a fancy tshirt type fit?

Not sure where you live but if there is a DV8 store near you, they are worth a look. I've gotten quite a few going out tops like what you describe. Check out their website for ideas and nearest store to you.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Not sure where you live but if there is a DV8 store near you, they are worth a look. I've gotten quite a few going out tops like what you describe. Check out their website for ideas and nearest store to you.

Thanks a mill - will check them out :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hi guys, anyone ever ship anything from the US?

There's some stuff I want and the only place I get them is via (legit) international sites. They give an option of paying taxes/duties upfront, I'm just wondering if the amount they charge would be the same amount i'd be charged if I waived this option and took my chances with customs?

On one item retailing at 79.74 they would charge duties/taxes of 22.50. (euro)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone able to give some general advice on tie/shirt/suit combination do's and don'ts?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Anyone able to give some general advice on tie/shirt/suit combination do's and don'ts?

Big Dont is having a striped shirt with a striped tie. It is dizzying.

My favourite combo atm is black Ted Baker shoes with lavender coloured laces. Then a dark navy fitted suit, haribone white shirt with cufflinks and like a rose red coloured tie. Have a black 3/4 length l fitted wool coat and matching scarf. Makes me feel great in the morning going to work.

Very Dark shirts for work tend to be a no no. I remember one lad used to wear dark starburst purple colour shirt, was awful.

Suits can be season dependent e.g in late Autumn to early spring I would wear darker suits and have one lighter coloured suit, like a dark grey.

During the spring, summer bring in some lighter coloured suits.

Big chest ties are gone way out of fashion now.

Some lads in work wear a plain black suit. They look like they are heading to a funeral!!

Mid to Dark brown shoes go well with a Greyish or navy suit.

I do think it's hard to beat a good quality white, haribone shirt with cufflinks.

Get a correct fitting shirt. Know your neck size and body type eg regular, slim fit, super slim etc.

Keep your shoes shined and top bottom closed!!!! I find lots of managers take note of people's shoes and top buttons. We are contractors though so need to be presentable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have a black and white checkered shirt from TM Lewin and I am finding it hard to incorporate into mt work clothes, mainly as I can't get a tie to match it. I tried an all black tie but even then there is too much going on with the shirt. Thoughts anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'd go with a splash of colour, red would look really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

Easy Rod wrote: »

Always make sure your suit jacket is about 1/4 inch shorter than your shirt cuff, and I know this sounds obvious, but make sure it fits you! There are too many guys walking around in ill-fitting suits. Also never, ever, button all your suit jacket buttons: Never button the bottom one (same goes for a single-breasted waistcoat), always button the top (middle) one and if your jacket has three buttons sometimes button the top one.

And if you're going to wear a tie bar, make sure that it is narrower than the tie.

For me, it's hard to beat a good black suit, though maybe not for business affairs as they are quite formal, go for something that you can have fun with, try out some pocket squares? If you're going to try a checked shirt and tie, keep the smaller check on your body and the larger around your neck, and keep to the same colour palette. This is actually really on trend right now, throw on a tweed jacket and finish with darker trousers, even chinos? That may be too casual though.

A striped shirt and a polka dotted tie also looks good as does a horizontal stripe shirt and diagonal stripe tie. If you're going to mix patterns, once again keep the smaller one on your shirt and it will work in line with the same colour palette.

Whenever it comes to suits, the most important thing is getting the correct fit and feeling comfortable wearing one, so go to a reputable shop to buy your suits or get them tailored. Once you're comfortable with what you're wearing, you'll pull it off.

And, one last thing, if you're going to wear French cuffs, always wear a tie!
    ulinbac wrote: »
    I do think it's hard to beat a good quality white, haribone shirt with cufflinks.

Just wondering, do you mean herringbone?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

PeterJC! wrote: »
    Just wondering, do you mean herringbone?

Yup, my bad. Couple of pints in the belly don't make for full sense when typing :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great advice re the suit but please do not overlook the shoes. I've seen too many suits ruined by poor choice of shoes or worse dirty shoes!

Well lads, im back.

Now ive no one here to take a picture of me in the jacket and trousers so i put them out on the bed and took a picture.

Will i get away with this for the wedding tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Well lads, im back.

Now ive no one here to take a picture of me in the jacket and trousers so i put them out on the bed and took a picture.

Will i get away with this for the wedding tomorrow?

Don't see why not :)

Don't see why not :)

You sure the navy goes with the dark grey?

ive only black shoes or brown boots which is a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Gents, can anyone point me in the right direction to buy a decent-ish pair of shoes for the office? Willing to buy online if necessary but would rather buy in Dublin... Is a budget of 100-150 about right? Sick of wearing through cheaper pairs quickly so I think I'll get a pair that can be rehealed this time. Appreciate any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Gents, can anyone point me in the right direction to buy a decent-ish pair of shoes for the office? Willing to buy online if necessary but would rather buy in Dublin... Is a budget of 100-150 about right? Sick of wearing through cheaper pairs quickly so I think I'll get a pair that can be rehealed this time. Appreciate any recommendations.

Would go for Ecco in the sales or some of the higher end M&S ones. If you can stretch to Loakes they are excellent but would be 200 upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Antibac wrote: »
    Would go for Ecco in the sales or some of the higher end M&S ones. If you can stretch to Loakes they are excellent but would be 200 upwards

Just burning through a pair of M & S ones at the moment although they weren't expensive ones, are the pricier ones in there decent?

Saw Loakes as one of /the/ brands, would ya say it's worth pushing for them over a lesser pair? If I'm spending €200 on anything I'd hope they last longer than I do! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just burning through a pair of M & S ones at the moment although they weren't expensive ones, are the pricier ones in there decent?

Saw Loakes as one of /the/ brands, would ya say it's worth pushing for them over a lesser pair? If I'm spending €200 on anything I'd hope they last longer than I do! :D

I found the dearer ones much better although I wouldn't be heavy on them. Loakes would be the way to go if you can afford them. Although Debenhams usually have decent sales in them. They take awhile to break in but are worth it

Advertisement