Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Actually, I just checked the GPS, it happened at Ballymoneen roundabout, not Clybaun.

You're dead right about taking the centre of the lane. It's definitely the safest way to approach a roundabout.

What's the craic with Clybaun anyway, three lanes entering that roundabout?!! Or is it four, including the cycle lane? Oh wait, no, that disappears into thin air as you approach the roundabout, just like the cyclists who ride it.

Two lanes is pushing it, but three?! Even national roads don't have three lanes entering a roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

You're dead right about taking the centre of the lane. It's definitely the safest way to approach a roundabout.

This is called the primary cycling position. Cycling close to the kerb is called the secondary cycling position. Think about that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Oh holy mother of god. Have a read of this piece of rubbish.

City councillor brands cyclists as ‘cowboys'
    Cyclists were described as cowboys or cowgirls by a city councillor who is very concerned at their behaviour as they pedal around the city.

Cllr Pádraig Conneely said he had no problem with bikes or bike schemes but had a serious issue with the cyclists themselves.

“They cycle on footpaths, crash traffic lights, cycle the wrong way on one-way streets and are a danger to pedestrians and cars.

“And if you stop to say anything to them about their behaviour, they abuse you using foul and filthy language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They cycle on footpaths, crash traffic lights, cycle the wrong way on one-way streets and are a danger to pedestrians and cars. And if you stop to say anything to them about their behaviour, they abuse you using foul and filthy language
    Says he who is pictured on a bicycle :D. Well done Bernie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Maybe he should have called on the gardaí to enforce the €50 on the spot fines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

antoobrien wrote: »
    Maybe he should have called on the gardaí to enforce the €50 on the spot fines.

Yeah PC kicks off with this stuff every so often. The most offensive occasion was when I found myself being accosted by him on this issue in a funeral home while I was attending the removal of a colleague from the community forum.

Tasteful guy.

Anyhow the problem with Conneely "attacking" cyclists over this is that for years he was the chair of the city's Joint Policing Committee. That position afforded Councillor Conneely numerous opportunities to influence the Garda with regard to them actually doing their jobs when it came to enforcing the law.

Somehow it never seemed to happen.

Presumably Councillor Conneely prefers scapegoating people and attacking them in public to doing something about it when he was the one councillor in a position of direct influence with the Garda.

I am hearing rumours to the effect that the council has erected signs down at the Mainguard St bike racks.

Apparently the signs state that they are going to remove the racks and people's bikes with 24hrs notice.

Its not clear to me what legal right they would have to interfere with peoples property in such a manner.

Can anyone in the city centre add more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I am hearing rumours to the effect that the council has erected signs down at the Mainguard St bike racks.

Apparently the signs state that they are going to remove the racks and people's bikes with 24hrs notice.

Its not clear to me what legal right they would have to interfere with peoples property in such a manner.

If it's to facilitate roadworks probably the same right as if your car is parked on a street that needs to be dug up it can be towed away and stored at the owners expense.

Provided they don't damage anyone's property eg cutting locks and let people know how to retrieve their bike i would be surprised if it wasn't legal.

If it's to facilitate roadworks probably the same right as if your car is parked on a street that needs to be dug up it can be towed away and stored at the owners expense.

Provided they don't damage anyone's property eg cutting locks and let people know how to retrieve their bike i would be surprised if it wasn't legal.

Sure but for years they have been insisting that they had no legal right to remove bikes that were obviously abandoned. Now suddenly they can after all?

Sure but for years they have been insisting that they had no legal right to remove bikes that were obviously abandoned. Now suddenly they can after all?

If they are locked to something they can't cut the lock that would be criminal damage and a crime. If they aren't locked they won't be left long enough to be abandoned. It's a bit of a catch 22.

With abandoned cars the owner can usually be traced and made pay for the removal or aware of the situation. That is much harder to do with a bicycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

but isn't he's right... most casual cyclists I've noticed don't play a blind bit of notice to the rules of the road or red lights... and God help anyone who says anything to them.... the hilarious thing is the double standards.... cyclists who break red lights but later use the pedestrian lights to cross three road.... logic along the lines of 'mé féin!'

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

If they are locked to something they can't cut the lock that would be criminal damage and a crime. If they aren't locked they won't be left long enough to be abandoned. It's a bit of a catch 22.
    :confused:
    When there is a match in Croker, Garda get out the boltcutters and remove bikes from lampposts/poles in the area http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=11789 http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=13162

It's Council property and the Council can remove the bike

jkforde wrote: »
    but isn't he's right... most casual cyclists I've noticed don't play a blind bit of notice to the rules of the road or red lights... and God help anyone who says anything to them.... the hilarious thing is the double standards.... cyclists who break red lights but later use the pedestrian lights to cross three road.... logic along the lines of 'mé féin!'

No the issue is not the behaviour of cyclists - clearly there are huge problems.

But the underlying problem is "Blue Flu" aka the failure of this state's "police service" to provide a police service.

If any of us here who are not Garda go out and try to enforce Mr Conneely's "proclaimed" desire for lawful behaviour on others - we would be committing an offence.

Mr. Conneely is the one politician in this town who cant criticise because it seems he did nothing useful when he was the man in charge of the policing committee.

Mr. Conneely is the one politician in this town who cant criticise because it seems he did nothing useful when he was the man in charge of the policing committee.
    Ah c'mon. He pontificated, bellowed, hummed, hawed and drank tea.
    Who is the chair of the JPC these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

No the issue is not the behaviour of cyclists - clearly there are huge problems.

huh? of course it's the responsibility of the cyclist.... I don't obey the rules and stop at the red lights because a garda expects me to, it's because rules lead to a safer and orderly society... when will we learn in this country to stop fighting with authority and take personal responsibility for OUR society

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ah c'mon. He pontificated, bellowed, hummed, hawed and drank tea.
    Who is the chair of the JPC these days anyway?

Mike Cubbard - hopefully Mike might have the capacity to offer leadership unlike his predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Meant to take a pic last n night but forgot.
    The racks had a wire fence around them with paper signs stuck to them saying something like 'do not park bicycles here after midnight 16th Oct as the racks are being removed in order to make way for the provision of new racks!'
    Don't think it mentioned what was going to happen to the bikes though. There were still 12 bikes tied up at around 10pm.

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused:
    When there is a match in Croker, Garda get out the boltcutters and remove bikes from lampposts/poles in the area http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=11789 http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=13162

It's Council property and the Council can remove the bike

Under bylaws for crowd control in a small area at events where 80000 people will attend.
    Yes if the bike is left somewhere illegal the gardai will cut the lock but not local council workers. That's a very different situation from bikes that may or may not be abandoned depending on your definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

I agree that Padraig's quote on cyclists is the usual hypocrisy he is known for. I suppose he thinks that those dodgy cyclists are unlikely to be voters so they are an easy target. In fairness to him though.. he is right. The behaviour of most cyclists in the city is atrocious.
    Pearce Flannery on the other hand has no such excuse. His quote in the Tribune on Friday basically said that cycling on Taylor's Hill is dangerous and should be banned outright. No mention of enforcing the speed limit or anything.. just ban cycling.

whineflu wrote: »
    Pearce Flannery .. in the Tribune on Friday basically said that cycling on Taylor's Hill is dangerous and should be banned outright. No mention of enforcing the speed limit or anything.. just ban cycling.
    He did not, did he?
    Maybe I'll fire an epistle and ask that he request a ban on private motor cars on Taylors Hill..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Meant to take a pic last n night but forgot.
    The racks had a wire fence around them with paper signs stuck to them saying something like 'do not park bicycles here after midnight 16th Oct as the racks are being removed in order to make way for the provision of new racks!'
    Don't think it mentioned what was going to happen to the bikes though. There were still 12 bikes tied up at around 10pm.

An Mheitheal Rothar (Galway's Bike Workshop) were raising awareness of this - they have a collection of photos here:
    https://www.facebook.com/AnMheithealRothar/posts/739304216140485

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If it is attached to private property where there was originally no signage, they can remove the items on erection of a sign that gives a minimum of 24 hours. If you are warned about locking your bicycle somewhere after you have locked it, provided no signs were present when you locked it, they must warn you, erect a notice and give you 24 hours. Or so I was informed after I locked my bike to the railings outside the DPP offices. The security guard came out to give me a bollicking (I worked next door) but a courier stepped in and explained the rules to him, rules he felt his employers more so than most would know and hopefully comply with. Could be complete trollop though.
    Yeah PC kicks off with this stuff every so often. The most offensive occasion was when I found myself being accosted by him on this issue in a funeral home while I was attending the removal of a colleague from the community forum.

Tasteful guy.
    How do people like this get into positions of power with such little sense of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

J o e wrote: »
    An Mheitheal Rothar (Galway's Bike Workshop) were raising awareness of this - they have a collection of photos here:
    https://www.facebook.com/AnMheithealRothar/posts/739304216140485

similar set up outside BOI Eyre Sq last night. Only 1½ bikes still there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

So it looks like the bike scheme is no use for people coming in and out of town on the bike... and it'll be replacing a lot of the already limited bike stands.

another epistle to Roads warranted?

J o e wrote: »
    So it looks like the bike scheme is no use for people coming in and out of town on the bike... and it'll be replacing a lot of the already limited bike stands.

Yep had a look earlier. The bike parking outside Bank of Ireland is fenced off and same kind of notice as is at Mainguard street is there.

Also they have only fenced off the bike parking. I dont see how there could possibly be room for a bike station and more bike parking.

Beggars belief really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yep had a look earlier. The bike parking outside Bank of Ireland is fenced off and same kind of notice as is at Mainguard street is there.

Also they have only fenced off the bike parking. I dont see how there could possibly be room for a bike station and more bike parking.

Beggars belief really.

Very disappointing but this is Galway City Council we are talking about here. Should have bike racks on every street were there is Pay and Display. Car Parking Spots are a precious Cash Cow to them since they lost the Commercial water rates to Irish Water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Has anyone el come across the nut job who drives his scooter on the cycle lane and footpath going over the quincentianal bridge. Seen him several times over the last few months. Anyway tonight he undertook me by going on the footpath while I was in the cycle lane. Unfortunately he wasn't at the lights when I got there so didn't get his registration no.

Council tells business to remove street ornaments restricting footpath space..and it makes the news!
    http://connachttribune.ie/bah-humbug-council-orders-removal-of-christmas-trees-066/
    Should've put them on the road and see if it would have the same reaction.

• Advertisement

You could drive a car on the footpath past them trees, what obstruction are they causing. Bah humbug is right!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement