Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just imagine that they put this Dublin card on in the Aviva next summer and have it start at 2am, the residents would be delighted at 50,000 pissed up conor fans leaving the venue at 5am on a Sunday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just imagine that they put this Dublin card on in the Aviva next summer and have it start at 2am, the residents would be delighted at 50,000 pissed up conor fans leaving the venue at 5am on a Sunday morning

Im fairly sure it was just this one event it effects, cant find the poxy article i read. Maybe SevereMMA has some info there. Itd be fairly poxy if this was a new thing brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

scudzilla wrote: »

I'm pretty sure events like concerts and such can't go on past 11pm. Maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In fairness many European fans have long campaigned for events to start at silly o'clock over here. The excuse often mooted for the watered down cards here was that events couldn't go on PPV because of the US start time and therefore the UFC wouldn't use up big name stars when PPV wasn't on the table.

Would Sweden be getting such a strong card if they didn't have that us friendly start time?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    In fairness many European fans have long campaigned for events to start at silly o'clock over here. The excuse often mooted for the watered down cards here was that events couldn't go on PPV because of the US start time and therefore the UFC wouldn't use up big name stars when PPV wasn't on the table.

Would Sweden be getting such a strong card if they didn't have that us friendly start time?

Not a chance. I also realised its not a Fight Night event its an On Fox event so that explains the fact its tied to the weird start time. Id expect another one or two better fights to be added, gutted the Brown v Saffiedine fight wont be on the card like what was reported.

I know its not directly UFC related but CM Punk revealed his reasons for leaving WWE today, what was interesting though was that there was a non-compete clause in his contract stopping him from working for the UFC, this is the second time iv heard of them having it in a wrestlers contract, the last one being Alberto Del Rio a few months ago, seems a bit man. Anyone any idea of why? I always assumed UFC fighters would go work in the WWE, never taught they would go the opposite way bar the odd exception. Anyone have any taughts on this??

ASOT wrote: »
    I know its not directly UFC related but CM Punk revealed his reasons for leaving WWE today, what was interesting though was that there was a non-compete clause in his contract stopping him from working for the UFC, this is the second time iv heard of them having it in a wrestlers contract, the last one being Alberto Del Rio a few months ago, seems a bit man. Anyone any idea of why? I always assumed UFC fighters would go work in the WWE, never taught they would go the opposite way bar the odd exception. Anyone have any taughts on this??

Who is cm punk?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who is cm punk?

An ex professional wrestler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Brock had one too when he first left, brought them to court over it too

• Advertisement

Brock had one too when he first left, brought them to court over it too

Actually didnt know that myself, id say its in most contracts by the sounds of things but im still not sure, I know Del Rio had competed in MMA before so that could be why its in his but i just find it interesting that the WWE seem very threatened by the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,602 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Actually didnt know that myself, id say its in most contracts by the sounds of things but im still not sure, I know Del Rio had competed in MMA before so that could be why its in his but i just find it interesting that the WWE seem very threatened by the UFC.

Makes sense that they are tbh.
    I'd imagine the rise in MMA over the last 10 years ahs taken a chuck out of the WWE's 18-40 demographic.
    It's also because they know that if CM Punk was to cross over, he has an image, brand and following already established, which would carry over. They'd be of the opinion that they "owned" a portion of that image considering it was built on their show. They don't want a rival to benefit from their work.

Mellor wrote: »
    Makes sense that they are tbh.
    I'd imagine the rise in MMA over the last 10 years ahs taken a chuck out of the WWE's 18-40 demographic.
    It's also because they know that if CM Punk was to cross over, he has an image, brand and following already established, which would carry over. They'd be of the opinion that they "owned" a portion of that image considering it was built on their show. They don't want a rival to benefit from their work.

Cheers for that, just seem interesting!!

Mr Wonderful v Ryan Bader just added to UFC Sweden!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Cheers for that, just seem interesting!!

I was always a fan of Bader and wanted him to do well but he just never seems to be quite at a high enough level to be a legitimate title contender.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I could have sworn they had already fought a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I could have sworn they had already fought a few years ago

Maybe thinking of bader vs. Jones? You big racist you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Maybe thinking of bader vs. Jones? You big racist you.
    Ah jaysus I think you are right :o

mailburner wrote: »
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    15 minutes of

coyuchi-wool-blanket_tcm12-22150.jpg

I wonder whose gonna be the first to say something inappropriate

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I wonder whose gonna be the first to say something inappropriate
    I saw a pretty inappropriate pic in the comments section of the mmajunkie article on this matchup:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I would absolutely LOVE Bader to land an Overhand Right and put Davis to sleep, can't stand that guy.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I would absolutely LOVE Bader to land an Overhand Right and put Davis to sleep, can't stand that guy.

Im the other way around I love Phil, gonna back him to win by Sub in this anyway. Anacondaaaaaaaa :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Whats this? why should there be something inappropriate said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Saw this vid of Belfort pop up on facebook. That looks so goddamn painful.

Saw this vid of Belfort pop up on facebook. That looks so goddamn painful.

Even off his TRT the guys an animal, always loved Vitor I really hope he surprises everyone like he says hes going to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Think they're called zercher squats, they can definitely be painful in your arms.

Definitely want to see Vitor get the belt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yves Edwards has retired from MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MrStuffins wrote: »
    2335706.png&w=350&h=254

(In case, like me, you don't know who he is :pac:)

Should have called it sooner imo, became a bit of a whipping boy not even a gatekeeper. Lost five on the trot which wasnt nice to see. Always seemed like a nice guy.

Will never forget this amazing kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm glad he is retiring. Has had some amazing fights but he just can't hack it any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

UFC have plans for another Stadium show next year anyway......nothing about Ireland yet but have confirmed an event in Melbourne in November next year believed to be UFC193 is in the works to be such a show.

UFC have plans for another Stadium show next year anyway......nothing about Ireland yet but have confirmed an event in Melbourne in November next year believed to be UFC193 is in the works to be such a show.

Yeah there waiting on it to be legalized in Melbourne which should be soon with the change in government taking effect in the next few weeks. They have said theres only one chance to make a first impression and are looking to put on a stadium event at the Etihad which holds 55k roughly. I doubt were going to hear to much in the near future because of how far away it is. Id say any bouts they announce early will be hit by the injury bug that always seems to happen :cool::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Lads why isn't this a general "mma" thread?
    The ufc isn't the end all and be all!

That said, has to have just been the quietest weekend of the year mma wise.

No ufc, bellator, wsof, and one.

Guess it's the calm before the storm

It is a general MMA chat thread. It's just called the UFC thread.

Yeah what McStuffins said I know I post a good bit of bellator and WSOF news anyway I'd say it could just do with a name change!!

Just catchinh up on some of the last few pages.
    His weird shaped head doesnt help, he has the most ovalist head iv ever seen :p
    lol
    For some reason this made me laugh out loud. WP
    Devastator wrote: »
    Haven't some of the Austrailian cards started at even more ridiculous times like 5am or something?
    Nope.
    Australian events run during the day. From 11am to 4 or 5pm.
    Yeah there waiting on it to be legalized in Melbourne which should be soon with the change in government taking effect in the next few weeks. They have said theres only one chance to make a first impression and are looking to put on a stadium event at the Etihad which holds 55k roughly.
    Apparently the max capacity is is 70k+ including floor seats.
    Retractable roof is the main selling point here.

Dethrone Royalty @dethrone

Heard uniform announcement coming tomorrow. We were never about all looking the same. We'll stay that way, thanks. #goodluckreebok
    12:27 AM - 2 Dec 2014
    66 RETWEETS 31 FAVORITES

Just watched the Pettis Melendez preview video.

What the flip. topless Jake shields photobombed anytime Melendez was working in the gym. He's training then all of a sudden Jake strolls past topless in the background!
    This kept happening!

ufc special announcement with Reebok live now

http://www.livestream.com/reebokufcpartnership

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

This should be great for fighters going forward! 20% off apparel sales going to them, getting paid for wearing Reebok etc.

I wonder what the base pay will be for an unranked fighter from July 2015...

Although current sponsors will be looking to pay less now considering there will be no official "UFC" airtime of there products. They are going to have to branch out into different advertising mediums. Will probably move towards the endorsement type of deal rather than sponsorship going forward

Thats going to put alot of MMA clothing companies out of business imo, I know theres all sorts of other organisations were fighters can wear there gear but nothing compares to the UFC as it is promotionally. It has its pros and cons obviously but meh it doesnt effect me so im not fussed atall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Josh Koscheck v Jake Ellenberger fighting at UFC 184. Great card for that so far.

Weidman v Belfort, Rousey v Zingano, Bigfoot v Mir, Ronaldo Souza v Yoel Romero and now Koscheck v Ellenberger.

Best looking card of 2015 yet imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Josh Koscheck v Jake Ellenberger fighting at UFC 184. Great card for that so far.

Weidman v Belfort, Rousey v Zingano, Bigfoot v Mir, Ronaldo Souza v Yoel Romero and now Koscheck v Ellenberger.

Best looking card of 2015 yet imo.

Looks almost too good. Any of those last 3 fights would usually headline a fight night card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Kos Vs Ellenberger could a P45 match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Kos maybe , i thought jake only signed a new contract ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Does the Reebok deal seem relatively small to anyone else? A six year deal for 560 fighters at $70 million dollars overall. It seems small for exclusive advertising rights during fight week and in the octagon.

Thinking about UFC fighters is all well and good, but surely a lot of apparel companies sponsor up and coming fighters with the possibility of them fighting in the UFC in mind? Getting in there before they reach the big stage? That won't be the case anymore.

Does the Reebok deal seem relatively small to anyone else? A six year deal for 560 fighters at $70 million dollars overall. It seems small for exclusive advertising rights during fight week and in the octagon.
    Have official figures been released yet?
    I only heard 8-figures per year.
    In terms of annual broadcast hours, and viewership the UFC is quite a way behind other mainstream sports.

$72 million works out at $24k per fight, average. Or 250-300k per card. Hardly record breaking, but still a decent splash of cash from Reebok.
    I think the quiet, low ranked, up and comers are doing a lot better out of this. The higher ranked guys will be looking at more and more out-of-octagon deals.
    Thinking about UFC fighters is all well and good, but surely a lot of apparel companies sponsor up and coming fighters with the possibility of them fighting in the UFC in mind? Getting in there before they reach the big stage?
    Sponsorship outside of the UFC is terrible really. Basically I don't think the bolded bit happens, at least not in a "Getting in before the big stage" kinda of way. Any sponsors that fighters outside can secure is probably just fight by fight and no apparel companies are giving out deals to lock themselves in once a fighter is UFC signed. Perfect example is McGregor. His UFC signing was always imminent after the 145 title. He had no sponsors for his 155 title fight, was wearing part of Bad Boy vale tudo shorts, but I imagine they were just shorts he owned.

Thought Cockcheck retired already?

Anyway don't see why that fight is news.

Two of them have completely lost it. The last six fights or so involving those guys have been shocking

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement