Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Free fights this week are fairly awesome, cant wait for 181, pretty solid card!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Hope Lawler gets dat belt!

Rumble is just a ridiculously big human being, cant wait for this fight!

1924936_900588293299849_2632299903623520831_n.jpg?oh=7bae9f07ed3500834b37e7fbf52ad4ec&oe=551B9D3F&__gda__=1423753537_30c2a21a5e81a01f96ca3ba7c1318b05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

^^^ clearly an element of

survival-faraway.jpg

about that photo, but yes I do concede that Rumble is a giant man.

^^^ clearly an element of

survival-faraway.jpg

about that photo, but yes I do concede that Rumble is a giant man.

I really hope it lives up to the hype, hopefully a 5 round brawl. I really like both fighters so its a win win for me but im swaying towards rumble just for the way he turned his career around. Theres alot of fights being made were i really like both fighters, its a **** to try pick the winner haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

ASOT wrote: »
    I really hope it lives up to the hype, hopefully a 5 round brawl. I really like both fighters so its a win win for me but im swaying towards rumble just for the way he turned his career around. Theres alot of fights being made were i really like both fighters, its a **** to try pick the winner haha

Yeah I'm a Gustaffson fan but for some reason I have a feeling Johnson is going to take it. Only thing I would question, and it's something Jon Jones alluded to when asked about the fight in the recent UFC presser, is that Rumble's conditioning and cardio could be suspect. He's looking mahoosive and a bit bulky in the photo for my liking, if it goes 5 rounds he could be in trouble. The flip side to that is his power in the opening rounds could knock the stuffing out of Gustaffson, so he could end up wrecked late on also! This one could go any way tbh, I won't be betting on it anyway!! Delighted it's on in Sweden too, I hate having to stay up for fights in the states.

Yeah I'm a Gustaffson fan but for some reason I have a feeling Johnson is going to take it. Only thing I would question, and it's something Jon Jones alluded to when asked about the fight in the recent UFC presser, is that Rumble's conditioning and cardio could be suspect. He's looking mahoosive and a bit bulky in the photo for my liking, if it goes 5 rounds he could be in trouble. The flip side to that is his power in the opening rounds could knock the stuffing out of Gustaffson, so he could end up wrecked late on also! This one could go any way tbh, I won't be betting on it anyway!! Delighted it's on in Sweden too, I hate having to stay up for fights in the states.

Got some bad news for you.... Because of some fox deal its a 2am LOCAL start in sweeden which is a load of bollox. 5pmPT to suit Americans. On the fight yeah id agree he looks extra chunky there but if the same Rumble turns up who tore through Davis for three rounds I can see him take this, then again the form Gus is in he can beat anybody & wrongly imo lost to Jones. Its got all the makings of a barn burner of a card hope im not disappointed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Got some bad news for you.... Because of some fox deal its a 2am LOCAL start in sweeden which is a load of bollox. 5pmPT to suit Americans.

total **** that, was really looking forward to that card until I read that
    nobody should have to fight at that time
    sick of this sh1t

mailburner wrote: »
    total **** that, was really looking forward to that card until I read that
    sick of this sh1t

It really is a kick in the teeth for the local fighters and fans. They should go do a camp in America then just fly over the day before, everyone will be alseep by the time the main event comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He just looks chunky there, he'll be in far better shape come fight time. He's naturally a huge guy though, must have starved himself to get near 170.

• Advertisement

He just looks chunky there, he'll be in far better shape come fight time. He's naturally a huge guy though, must have starved himself to get near 170.

His weird shaped head doesnt help, he has the most ovalist head iv ever seen :p

Doesnt look as chunky in this compared to the other picture, still such a big human being. I know its been said many times but my god how did he fight at WW at points in his career.

https://twitter.com/UFC_UK/status/537201631108952064

B3SGCXiCUAEMxjz.jpg:large

EDIT - Also confirmed winner gets the next title shot, assuming Jones wins I would imagine.

https://twitter.com/UFC_UK/status/537200779900104704

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Got some bad news for you.... Because of some fox deal its a 2am LOCAL start in sweeden which is a load of bollox.
    mailburner wrote: »
    sick of this sh1t

Balls :mad: I like an early(or normal to us) fight card!
    Haven't some of the Austrailian cards started at even more ridiculous times like 5am or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That's rough on the local fans. I don't think I've ever watched a UFC live on TV... Cage Warriors sure, but not the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fighting at 2am is mental! The crowd is going to be well drunk/asleep by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I thought the main reason to have foreign (i.e. non-US) UFC events was to appeal to the local fans of these events? So, you put a show on in Sweden, but put it on at a time when most Swedes will be in bed just to appeal to people in the US? That's retarded

I thought the main reason to have foreign (i.e. non-US) UFC events was to appeal to the local fans of these events? So, you put a show on in Sweden, but put it on at a time when most Swedes will be in bed just to appeal to people in the US? That's retarded

It was something to do with this certain event, thats why most of the EU ones are at normal times for us. Im not sure of the specifics il try find a link explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It might be rough on local fans but it's far rougher on the fighters. They're going to have to adjust their sleeping pattern. It's really, really dumb.

It might be rough on local fans but it's far rougher on the fighters. They're going to have to adjust their sleeping pattern. It's really, really dumb.

Yeah theyd be much better going to America for a training camp and coming back a day or two before, doesnt help with the darkness at that hour over there aswell. Ridiculously weird time to have it on in Sweden of all places.

Cant find a link explaining it but i know its something to do with some fox deal.

McCall Linker rescheduled for UFC 183, cannot wait for that card even more now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just imagine that they put this Dublin card on in the Aviva next summer and have it start at 2am, the residents would be delighted at 50,000 pissed up conor fans leaving the venue at 5am on a Sunday morning

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just imagine that they put this Dublin card on in the Aviva next summer and have it start at 2am, the residents would be delighted at 50,000 pissed up conor fans leaving the venue at 5am on a Sunday morning

Im fairly sure it was just this one event it effects, cant find the poxy article i read. Maybe SevereMMA has some info there. Itd be fairly poxy if this was a new thing brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

scudzilla wrote: »

I'm pretty sure events like concerts and such can't go on past 11pm. Maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In fairness many European fans have long campaigned for events to start at silly o'clock over here. The excuse often mooted for the watered down cards here was that events couldn't go on PPV because of the US start time and therefore the UFC wouldn't use up big name stars when PPV wasn't on the table.

Would Sweden be getting such a strong card if they didn't have that us friendly start time?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    In fairness many European fans have long campaigned for events to start at silly o'clock over here. The excuse often mooted for the watered down cards here was that events couldn't go on PPV because of the US start time and therefore the UFC wouldn't use up big name stars when PPV wasn't on the table.

Would Sweden be getting such a strong card if they didn't have that us friendly start time?

Not a chance. I also realised its not a Fight Night event its an On Fox event so that explains the fact its tied to the weird start time. Id expect another one or two better fights to be added, gutted the Brown v Saffiedine fight wont be on the card like what was reported.

I know its not directly UFC related but CM Punk revealed his reasons for leaving WWE today, what was interesting though was that there was a non-compete clause in his contract stopping him from working for the UFC, this is the second time iv heard of them having it in a wrestlers contract, the last one being Alberto Del Rio a few months ago, seems a bit man. Anyone any idea of why? I always assumed UFC fighters would go work in the WWE, never taught they would go the opposite way bar the odd exception. Anyone have any taughts on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I know its not directly UFC related but CM Punk revealed his reasons for leaving WWE today, what was interesting though was that there was a non-compete clause in his contract stopping him from working for the UFC, this is the second time iv heard of them having it in a wrestlers contract, the last one being Alberto Del Rio a few months ago, seems a bit man. Anyone any idea of why? I always assumed UFC fighters would go work in the WWE, never taught they would go the opposite way bar the odd exception. Anyone have any taughts on this??

Who is cm punk?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who is cm punk?

An ex professional wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Brock had one too when he first left, brought them to court over it too

• Advertisement

Brock had one too when he first left, brought them to court over it too

Actually didnt know that myself, id say its in most contracts by the sounds of things but im still not sure, I know Del Rio had competed in MMA before so that could be why its in his but i just find it interesting that the WWE seem very threatened by the UFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement