Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a revolution??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Id love to join in but i will be at work and then i have to do my christmas shopping.

Fine for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Id love to join in but i will be at work and then i have to do my christmas shopping.

Fine for some.

You could come down later when you get the time.....revolutions take time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thread needs this tune OP

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It will be a biggest demonstration the country has ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

How to overthrow the Government.

Step 1 : Gather outside the Dail with Banners
    Step 2 : ????
    Step 3 : Enjoy free pints in Dail Bar and toast our success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

One march and the country is supposedly on the verge of revolution.
    Media hype to sell a few papers.

Guarantee you come the next election it'll be a toss up between FF,FG and Labour,just like it always is.

Plazaman wrote: »
    How to overthrow the Government.

Step 1 : Gather outside the Dail with Banners
    Step 2 : ????
    Step 3 : Enjoy free pints in Dail Bar and toast our success.

Sounds like a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

Help!!!! wrote: »
    With the protest happening on December 10th at the Dail & reading articles like the following

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/why-the-irish-government-is-not-required-to-implement-water-charges-on-households-1.2009288#.VG861Xo9EMs.facebook

Would it not be a good idea to over through the present government like they do in other countries? ( Obviously,peaceful like )
    I mean there will be thousands already there, so it would be like killing two birds with one stone.
    What harm would it do?

No.

Come on really? people usually attempt to over throw dictator led, oppressive and non democratic regimes. Yes our political system is far from perfect to say the least and this government have failed to deliver on a number of electoral promises but talk like this is absurd.

The problem is that there is no real alternative to this goverment. We need new ideas, not revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Let the hyperbole commence (again)!

Reading this forum you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Russia circa 1917 out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Be right behind you, just have to get a coffee and a smoke to wake up first. Ye fire ahead though.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    No.

Come on really? people usually attempt to over throw dictator led, oppressive and non democratic regimes. Yes our political system is far from perfect to say the least and this government have failed to deliver on a number of electoral promises but talk like this is absurd.

The problem is that there is no real alternative to this goverment. We need new ideas, not revolution.

This is After Hours.....get in the spirit of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Call for revolution in AH? Outrageous. We will start wiping our arses with a different hand and report the results. THIS IS AH! *kicks OP in the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You could come down later when you get the time.....revolutions take time

No worries. Ill meet you at the spire at four. I might be late if theres a queue for the nespresso pods in bts

Save some cars for me to burn.

Call for revolution in AH? Outrageous. We will start wiping our arses with a different hand and report the results. THIS IS AH! *kicks OP in the chest.

Could I suggest using toilet roll?

This is After Hours.....get in the spirit of things?

You got there first. I got there better and bigger. :D

No worries. Ill meet you at the spire at four. I might be late if theres a queue for the nespresso pods in bts

Save some cars for me to burn.

Fit in a bit of xmas shopping as well

Could I suggest using toilet roll?

Vat is dat ze toilet roll?

omega man wrote: »
    No.

They haven't just failed to deliver. They lied. We need new ideas and new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

No.

If people want to get rid of the government, then wait 18 months time and you'll get your chance.

Talk of rebellion is irresponsible and ridiculous. All the multinationals would pull out here, we wouldnt be able to borrow on the markets (which we still to, dont forget our budget deficit).

Then what happens after that? Do we leave the EU? It really annoys me when people talk about leaving the EU, supporting ourselves. People forget that we're a small open island economy that is dependent on foreign trade.

Finally, while the government are making a mess of some policies (mess over medical cards, set up of IW etc), it's hard to argue that the economy is beginning to turn around. Increasing consumer confidence for example.

Talk of rebellion is irresponsible and ridiculous. All the multinationals would pull out here, we wouldnt be able to borrow on the markets (which we still to, dont forget our budget deficit).

Then what happens after that? Do we leave the EU? It really annoys me when people talk about leaving the EU, supporting ourselves. People forget that we're a small open island economy that is dependent on foreign trade.

Yes leave the EU, countries will still trade with us. The UK wants to also leave the EU & they will trade with us & so will counties outside of the EU.
    The world is a lot bigger than what Germany & France will have you believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

With the protest happening on December 10th at the Dail & reading articles like the following

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/why-the-irish-government-is-not-required-to-implement-water-charges-on-households-1.2009288#.VG861Xo9EMs.facebook

Would it not be a good idea to over through the present government like they do in other countries? ( Obviously,peaceful like )
    I mean there will be thousands already there, so it would be like killing two birds with one stone.
    What harm would it do?

Peacefully overthrowing the government is called an election - we'll have one in about 18 months, like we had in 2011.

Personally, I think the Dec 10th thing is a waste of time. It fails to fundamentally understand the mentality of the politicians we elect in Ireland.

150,000 people on the streets might look good on the news and worry them but not overly so - however, if 3,000 people turned up at each Labour TD's next constituency clinic it would scare the living sh1te out of them - you'd have an election announced in 3 months as they 'dash for the lifeboats.'

Or if you want to be a bit more 'subtle' look at those Labour TDs who got in on the coat tails of other people's transfers - target their constituencies and I reckon they'd be quick enough to pull their support from Labour and the government and take their chances as an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Yes leave the EU, countries will still trade with us. The UK wants to also leave the EU & they will trade with us & so will counties outside of the EU.

Yes but we trade with a lot more than England as well. A lot of American companies are situated here in order to be a gateway into Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

So, you've been successful in your revolution. Enda and Joan are wearing sack cloth and are holed up in Mountjoy. Congratulations.

You're addressing your mighty band of revolutionaries, the cameras are poised, the nation awaits with baited breath on your commands. Destiny awaits and you say/promise ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Of course other countries will trade with us if we leave the EU - and I'm sure the tariffs they'll be able to apply will be modest enough without adding too much to the cost of producing goods here on the periphery of Europe.

And of course no country we would then be trading with would be inclined to introduce punitive tariffs to address our low corporation tax - and even if they did sure wouldn't the FDI continue because after all those MNCs are here for the 'talent' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

smcgiff wrote: »
    So, you've been successful in your revolution. Enda and Joan are wearing sack cloth and are holed up in Mountjoy. Congratulations.

You're addressing your mighty band of revolutionaries, the cameras are poised, the nation awaits with baited breath on your commands. Destiny awaits and you say/promise ...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They haven't just failed to deliver. They lied. We need new ideas and new people.

Throw up a list of the people we can vote for that have never lied, just so we know in advance.

Seems people want it both ways. Put it in your manifesto that water charges will be brought in and then people vote for you but roll out **** like "sure people dont expect parties to keep to manifesto's" or dont put it in then your a liar for not having it there and bringing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And the world thinks a lot less of us that you want to believe.
    We leave the EU. Multinationals leave here. And yes they will. No free travel zone. No open market. nothing like that. IT, Pharmaceuticals ... all of them leave. We'd be left with domestic businesses like agriculture and maybe tourism.

Welcome to Ireland c.1970. An utter ****ehole.

I often wonder how people get so delusional that they think a country can leave the worlds largest trading bloc with no negative side effects.

Shure it'll be grand. Shure doesn't everyone love us. Shure won't it be a paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

sjb25 wrote: »
    :)

Is that an invitation? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Grayson wrote: »
    And the world thinks a lot less of us that you want to believe.
    We leave the EU. Multinationals leave here. And yes they will. No free travel zone. No open market. nothing like that. IT, Pharmaceuticals ... all of them leave. We'd be left with domestic businesses like agriculture and maybe tourism.

Welcome to Ireland c.1970. An utter ****ehole.

I often wonder how people get so delusional that they think a country can leave the worlds largest trading bloc with no negative side effects.

Shure it'll be grand. Shure doesn't everyone love us. Shure won't it be a paradise.

The church can look after us again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

smcgiff wrote: »

PEOPLE OF IRELAND!!

*crickets* *tumble*

PEOPLE OF IRELAND!!

PEOPLE OF IRELAND!

I… I…

It's like this…

PEOPLE…

I promise to abolish all water charges!

*thunderous applause*

*wrings ones hands* MUAHAHAAAAAAA!!! Fools…

Advertisement