Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Issued A Penalty Notice By Irish Rail After Being Allowed To Travel By Staff!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Okay so this is what happened. The guy at the barrier gave OP a chance to board without a valid ticked but the ticket inspector was not so easy going and done his job.

/end of story pay your fine
    the companies staff let him through. they failed to do their duty. therefore he should pay nothing. end of story

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Daenarys wrote: »
    It's on the terms & conditions when buying your online ticket, OP had to check the box to say he read them to complete the booking.

If he bothered to read up on how to change his ticket, he would have known to pay €10 at the ticket office because there currently isn't a "change your booking" function online yet.

It's all clearly stated when booking online and in the FAQ's, it's your responsibility to have a valid ticket.

Sorry OP I think you'll be paying your fine.
    he went to the ticket office after being fobbed off by someone else, they sent him away. he did what he was supposed to do and make sure he could travel on the ticket. the companies staff let him through rather then implementing whatever rule was in place that day. frankly they should just admit he wasn't defrauding them and admit they have a responsibility to implement whatever before one gets on the train in the first place. its because of this nonsense and similar that revenue is being lost, because all the staff in the chain aren't ensuring people don't get through. irish rail take no responsibility for their part in these things. they need to start, and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

5? I think you mean 4 and the ticket inspector is the one who gives the fines, the others have noting got to do with fines etc

The ticket checker on the next train didn't believe a fine was appropriate. That's 3 in the station, and 2 ticket checkers/inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    The ticket checker on the next train didn't believe a fine was appropriate. That's 3 in the station, and 2 ticket checkers/inspectors.

The RPU guys on the train say that to everybody who complains to appeal; it's their version of "Fries with that, sir?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »

Haha of course the other inspector is going to agree with OP, he doesn't want to listen to him moaning so he will just agree to shut him up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Man's inhumanity to man.

Haha of course the other inspector is going to agree with OP, he doesn't want to listen to him moaning so he will just agree to shut him up

With any luck the lad who receives the appeal will be equally as disinterested in arguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I got issued a penalty at Pearse a while back after marching up to the booth with the money in my hand and telling the guy behind the glass that the ticket machine was broken at my station which it was. Only for another person came behind me and backed me up I was in trouble. Ridiculous comes to mind! You would think they would properly investigate before issuing penaties:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Yet there is an IE employee on here saying that there's actually confusion about how to handle those exact situations, and another poster who was in a similar position had to have IE tweet them because nobody at the station knew what to do. I'm inclined to believe the OP.
    Fair enough, it's like people believing enda Kenny before the last election :-)

I got issued a penalty at Pearse a while back after marching up to the booth with the money in my hand and telling the guy behind the glass that the ticket machine was broken at my station which it was. Only for another person came behind me and backed me up I was in trouble. Ridiculous comes to mind! You would think they would properly investigate before issuing penaties:mad:
    It's one of my pet hates, they should just take your fare and leave it at that.

• Advertisement

he went to the ticket office after being fobbed off by someone else, they sent him away. he did what he was supposed to do and make sure he could travel on the ticket. the companies staff let him through rather then implementing whatever rule was in place that day. frankly they should just admit he wasn't defrauding them and admit they have a responsibility to implement whatever before one gets on the train in the first place. its because of this nonsense and similar that revenue is being lost, because all the staff in the chain aren't ensuring people don't get through. irish rail take no responsibility for their part in these things. they need to start, and quick.
    He would have went to the booking office after being told he would have to buy a new ticket.

the companies staff let him through. they failed to do their duty. therefore he should pay nothing. end of story

Free travel for all so.

kopfan77 wrote: »
    He wasnt told at the first time of asking....so as you said....move on back to your hill!!

I bet he was. It would be very strange if he wasn't. Do you believe everything that you are told?.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    He would have went to the booking office after being told he would have to buy a new ticket.

He should have tweeted at IE. Seems the guy who's doing the twitter machine is the only one who knows what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alannm37

It also says a lot if you have to ask if a ticket is still valid even though you know you were supposed to travel the day before. Of course the OP knew the ticket wasnt valid and i would be confident that he was told that as well and its a case of the OP chancing their arm to save buying a new one.
    Unless his ticket was endorsed by someone and signed and dated then i cant see the OP being successful here.

The thing is, that morning, I had my girlfriend with me and is witness to everything I did therefore I have the proof. I remember everyone's faces and could easily point them out if seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Free travel for all so.

He already payed for his ticket ... unless you think he's a liar

Here's the thing, when the OP asks the first time he should have been told that the ticket was no longer valid and a new ticket must be bought before travel.
    What we dont know if he was actually told this or he came up with the usual response( not the OP's usual response ),of that they dont have any money to by another ticket and after not taking a no for an answer he gets directed to the booking office who goes through the same response and his last resort is to plea with the chap on the barrier who may or not have told him that his ticket is not valid and he needs to get a new one and the no money thing comes up so after a bit of pleading he gets let through but told he could get fined if he gets caught. It happens everyday so only pointing out the possibilities here.
    If the OP's ticket was not endorsed by any staff member then he has no chance of winning an appeal as proving that he was given permission to travel on an expired ticket will be difficult.
    The OP knew his ticket had expired but im sure he was delighted to get on a train without paying for a new one yet when caught he then blames the staff???????
    If he was told that he was grand and he could travel is one thing but the revenue staff wouldnt have know about it and would rightly issue a fine.

The whole proof of the situation is, after much thinking, forget the person at the information desk and forget the person at the ticket office! There is not way that I could have boarded the train unless I went through the ticket barrier, and the only way that I could have gotten through it was by showing my ticket to the guy like I was told to do and by him giving me the go ahead and that it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

alannm37 wrote: »
    The thing is, that morning, I had my girlfriend with me and is witness to everything I did therefore I have the proof. I remember everyone's faces and could easily point them out if seen again.

The sick girlfriend who needed you there yesterday? :pac:

why would you even ask when you know it had expired? The ony one that created the situation was the OP.

I had already paid for the journey, maybe not the same one but it was the exact same route so the exact same ticket was required. It's not like they were losing out on anything so I was in a position to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I had already paid for the journey, maybe not the same one but it was the exact same route so the exact same ticket was required. It's not like they were losing out on anything so I was in a position to ask.

I'll try that with Ryanair

• Advertisement

The sick girlfriend who needed you there yesterday? :pac:

I said she wasn't feeling well, that can mean for any reason. I didn't say "sick".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

efb wrote: »
    I'll try that with Ryanair

I was waiting for that one. Not a like with like comparison. We are talking about a train, not an aircraft. Massive differences.

and ryanair would make sure not to allow someone on the plane in the first place if they had an invalid ticket. their staff wouldn't let them through the barrier, or before that send them to the barrier from the ticket desk

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was waiting for that one. Not a like with like comparison. We are talking about a train, not an aircraft. Massive differences.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Loula37

I doubt the OP will have to pay any fine. It is not his fault if the staff allowed him to enter into the train. The problem there is the staff and the inspector who was apparently in a bad mood. Hope you'll make it through OP but i am sure you will :)

I said she wasn't feeling well, that can mean for any reason. I didn't say "sick".

I'll do you a favour and offer some really solid advice. There are 4 kinds of people on this forum commenting on your situation.

1. Those who believe you.
    2. Randomers who think black and white and don't care.
    3. Irish Rail staff, who are biased.
    4. Irish Rail wannabe staff that will just make snide remarks and contribute very little to the debate.

Lodge your appeal and best of luck with it.

efb wrote: »
    Why?

You honestly need me to explain the obvious differences between train and airline ticketing?:rolleyes:

Seriously. Have a little think about it.

I'll do you a favour and offer some really solid advice. There are 4 kinds of people on this forum commenting on your situation.

1. Those who believe you.
    2. Randomers who think black and white and don't care.
    3. Irish Rail staff, who are biased.
    4. Irish Rail wannabe staff that will just make snide remarks and contribute very little to the debate.

Lodge your appeal and best of luck with it.

Thank you.

You honestly need me to explain the obvious differences between train and airline ticketing?:rolleyes:

Seriously. Have a little think about it.

The difference between a valid and invalid ticket seems to have escaped you

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Your welcome and don't get sucked in by some of the diatribe here. Stay clear and then maybe come back when you have a result from the appeal, be it positive or negative as it would be helpful to these particular topics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement