Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Sales Down As Dickheads Migrate To Craft Beers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What exactly does "craft" mean when it comes to beer, actually? Is it a different brewing process, or is it analogous to "independent record label" in music, IE simply a smaller brewing operation?

That's a good question,a lot of people would regard Brooklyn lager as a craft beer,yet the last time I ordered a bottle I discover written in tiny print that its now brewed under licence in the UK!so not so much a craft beer,but a crafty one :)My idea of a craft brewery would be those who make small batches,yet is financially viable to support a few employees.A good craft brewer will be constantly trying out new flavours,taking more risks.But you then must ask yourself when does a craft beer become a mainstream beer.The 8degrees brewing co. in cork started off with just two guys,brothers in law.The stuff was really hard to find up until about a year ago.I'm a big fan of their barefoot bohemian lager,lovely tack.I used to go to offos on the other side of the city to get it,now its in most supermarket chains and a fair few pubs,so their operations have obviously got a lot bigger.Is it still a 'craft' beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not a massive fan of crafts beers, some are drinkable though most range between not great and barely drinkable. Wheat beer is absolute puke though, even the smell turns my stomach.

At the end of the day a top class pint of Guinness or smithwicks from a proper local pub where the glass is white after and rings all the way down the glass showing every sip absolutely blows any craft or microbrewery beer miles out the window. There is just no comparison.
    I read before about that. When Diagio bought guinness they found out that people thought guinness head sticking to the glass meant it was a better pint. So they added some chemical that makes it stick to the glass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What exactly does "craft" mean when it comes to beer, actually? Is it a different brewing process, or is it analogous to "independent record label" in music, IE simply a smaller brewing operation?

Its really supposed to mean a small independent brewery but in an Irish supermarket thought the meaning is slightly extended to anything foreign, thats not a larger and not owned by MillerCoors Budweiser or Diageo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

First Up wrote: »
    Much of the derision and criticism of people who like good beer seems to me to be rooted in a mix of resentment, envy and - yes - an inferiority complex.

Genuinely curious here - what do you imagine people are envious of in this situation? Considering anyone can try craft beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm mainly a Guinness drinker but I have tried a few craft beers in Against The Grain and have to say I liked them. A lot of the Galway bay range are nice although I can't find a good alternative stout to Guinness and hey who'd want to. One problem I have a lot of them although nice tasting are strong as **** and you'd be on your ear after 5. I like when I'm in England and especially up north.. sampling some of the local brewery beers. When I go to Sheffield a fave spot is an old timers place called Fagans and they have Moonshine on tap... Jesus it's great stuff althoether.. Great hangover curer beer. Always nice to have an alternative.

As regards these craft beer aficionados.. or dick heads as they might be otherwise termed.... Drinking craft beer is fine.... Boring the ****e out of anyone in ear shot talking about it non stop isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

any craft beer I have tasted was muck, some from Trim in some place on Dorset street, a few in Brew Dock on Amiens Street, wouldn't be rushing back to either place and only went in coz of a work thing- or maybe I just have no taste

Last time I was in craft beer pub I left after one or two because of the awful smell of piss. Couldn't figure out whether it was the jacks, the customers or the beer itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

marco_polo wrote: »
    in an Irish supermarket thought the meaning is slightly extended to anything foreign
    This happened when molson started getting rolled out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Wheat beer is absolute puke though, even the smell turns my stomach.

I actually like them but it's a matter of taste.
    I find that taste can develop too.
    Some of the stuff I used to hate I really like now.
    At the end of the day a top class pint of Guinness or smithwicks from a proper local pub where the glass is white after and rings all the way down the glass showing every sip absolutely blows any craft or microbrewery beer miles out the window. There is just no comparison.

You can't say it beats EVERY craft beer, just the ones you tried.
    Maybe you havent tried the right one.

I like Guinness too, goes down well.
    I hate Smithwicks though, tastes to me like dirty water TBH

Cienciano wrote: »
    I read before about that. When Diagio bought guinness they found out that people thought guinness head sticking to the glass meant it was a better pint. So they added some chemical that makes it stick to the glass.

Not an ounce of truth in that anyway, only the very best Guinness sticks to the glass properly, even reasonable pints don't stick very well.
    Jamsiek wrote: »

You can't say it beats EVERY craft beer, just the ones you tried.
    Maybe you havent tried the right one.

Well yes but I have yet to drink a craft beer which I would actually want over my favorite drinks, I would only chose to drink one in the absence of a choice of Guinness, Smithwicks or some other beer I like (Bavaria and Corona for instance).
    I hate Smithwicks though, tastes to me like dirty water TBH

It can be hard to find nice Smithwicks in some parts of the country (Cork for instance) but a nice pint of Smithwicks is my favorite drink, it was always my drink of choice and only got into Guinness as I either couldn't get Smithwicks or it wasn't great. In general in Galway I drink Smithwicks all the time as its good in most places.

I enjoy taking a risk with flavoue. I like most ales and dislike some but I always enjoy finding out. Suppose that makes me a pretentious wankir in the eyes of some.

Nothing pretentious at all, nothing wrong with trying new beers.
    I go to brew pubs in Canada and the US and am always curious to try out the different beers on offer and there's a hell of a lot of them. The UK has a great selection too.

• Advertisement

Why the hell not :-)

I generally don't as I very rarely like them and end up forcing down the pint and its a bit of a waste of money really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

a nice pint of Smithwicks is my favorite drink

This explains why you don't like the craft beers you've tried. If you are going to make a go of brewing beer in Ireland, you have to make something that is not like Smithwicks, or like Guinness, Heineken or Budweiser. Those are already available everywhere, and have the advantage of economies of scale.

So even something like O'Hara's Irish Red, which look a bit like Smithwicks from a distance, has to taste quite different to attract buyers.

Although that Franciscan Well Rebel Red is not very tasty on draught, maybe it sells by appealing to the patriotism of the loyal citizens of Cork.

Although that Franciscan Well Rebel Red is not very tasty on draught, maybe it sells by appealing to the patriotism of the loyal citizens of Cork.

I actually thought Rebel red was ok at first but my god does it give hangovers, I mean I've felt better after 12 pints of Smithwicks than 4 or 5 pints of Rebel red. I cant even look at the stuff now never mind drink it.

Well yes but I have yet to drink a craft beer which I would actually want over my favorite drinks, I would only chose to drink one in the absence of a choice of Guinness, Smithwicks or some other beer I like (Bavaria and Corona for instance).

Fair enough. I suppose I'm just naturally curious by nature and like to try new things.
    Where I live in Vancouver, the local beers are the most popular and I sometimes stick to one of these drinks I like if I'm on a big night out.
    I have a few favourites.
    It can be hard to find nice Smithwicks in some parts of the country (Cork for instance) but a nice pint of Smithwicks is my favorite drink, it was always my drink of choice and only got into Guinness as I either couldn't get Smithwicks or it wasn't great. In general in Galway I drink Smithwicks all the time as its good in most places.

I used to live in Kilkenny and drank in Cleere's pub across the road from the Smithwicks brewery and I thought it would be the best place but I still didn't like it. I remember they were giving free pints out during the Cat Laughs festival. I had one but that was it. Maybe it might grow in me yet, other beers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

I like to try all sorts of beer, and don't mind people who do (or don't). What I DO mind is people looking down at you for drinking a Carlsberg or a Fosters, then harping on about how craft beers are superior. Bollocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was atthe ploughing last year and nipped into the Smithwicks tent more to escape the hoardes of teenagers than anything else. Tasted a couple of different types and have been drinking it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Nice attitude to the people paying your wages. Sounds like you really enjoyed your job. I note that you are not in it anymore. Probably a good thing. I hope your new career is more fulfilling but I hope for everyone's sake it isn't a customer facing role.

Someone who buys Budweiser because he thinks it makes him look or feel American is as deserving of your contempt as someone who has at least thought about what they are going to drink.

Don't try and take it out of context. My prime example was the kind of person who buys ONE beer. Do it if you want I don't really really care I don't sit there scowling or getting annoyed everytime someone does it. I just think you would barely do that in a supermarket with food for that long. I said a beer is a beer and people like to make it out each beer is completely different to each other. Although there are differences in taste people make it out as if each beer has personally been made be an artisan. Oh and your little snide remark about my job is well appreciated. I left on great terms if you must try have a little personal jab. So in future grow up and leave that sort of stuff out. This is clearly a thread to elicit half serious opinions. As I did and as I said it doesn't massively bother me if you pick a beer for 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Haven't read all this thread, but one of the reasons I buy them is to support small Irish businesses, and I don't mind paying a small premium to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Porterhouse Plain is my porter/stout of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Porterhouse Plain is my porter/stout of choice

Your only man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

This topic is surprisingly emotive for some people. There is a genuine difference in my opinion, but it varies a lot, so a bad alternative beer might taste worse than a decent mass produced one. But a really top notch German beer is much more satisfying than a Heineken. The Heineken might be better as a quick pint on a warm summer's day though, so it depends on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

danrua01 wrote: »
    I like to try all sorts of beer, and don't mind people who do (or don't). What I DO mind is people looking down at you for drinking a Carlsberg or a Fosters, then harping on about how craft beers are superior. Bollocks!

In fairness, scooping out a blocked urinal is superior to fosters. I've never met anyone who thought fosters was a really nice drink.

In fairness, scooping out a blocked urinal is superior to fosters. I've never met anyone who thought fosters was a really nice drink.

True, even Australians won't drink it. They just seem to export it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

True, even Australians won't drink it. They just seem to export it.

Yeah, they just export it to Britain, and Canada exports Carling to Britain.

Eutow wrote: »
    Yeah, they just export it to Britain, and Canada exports Carling to Britain.

Yes, I never see Carling in Canada either
    Funny that Kilkenny beer is popular in Irish pubs around the world but not so popular in Ireland
    Some beers are just brewed to be exported it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

True, I never see Carling in Canada either

Yeah, unless it's branded as something else, though I wouldn't think that would be the case. They are better off without it.

I think Blue Moon is branded as Rickards White in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Don't try and take it out of context. My prime example was the kind of person who buys ONE beer. Do it if you want I don't really really care I don't sit there scowling or getting annoyed everytime someone does it. I just think you would barely do that in a supermarket with food for that long. I said a beer is a beer and people like to make it out each beer is completely different to each other. Although there are differences in taste people make it out as if each beer has personally been made be an artisan. Oh and your little snide remark about my job is well appreciated. I left on great terms if you must try have a little personal jab. So in future grow up and leave that sort of stuff out. This is clearly a thread to elicit half serious opinions. As I did and as I said it doesn't massively bother me if you pick a beer for 20 mins.

I assume you didn't take an aptitude test before starting that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes, I never see Carling in Canada either
    Funny that Kilkenny beer is popular in Irish pubs around the world but not so popular in Ireland
    Some beers are just brewed to be exported it seems

Its just branding. Kilkenny is Smithwicks. Carling here is Molson in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Smithwicks are doing very nice bottled beers at the moment.

• Advertisement

Its just branding. Kilkenny is Smithwicks. Carling here is Molson in Canada.

Kilkenny seems to have a creamier head than Smithwicks though unless I'm mistaken

Advertisement