Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Sales Down As Dickheads Migrate To Craft Beers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

DiegoCosta wrote: »
    Nothing new here, men are second class citizens.
    You can't even get your trolling in the right thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

DiegoCosta wrote: »
    Nothing new here, men are second class citizens.

For drinking Heineken? I know it's not the best but that's a bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Like what? Off the top of my head i've head Plain, Oyster, Hop Head and Chiller from their taps and they've been ok flavour wise but flat as fck. I'd prefer a fresh pint of the standard beers from good taps tbh.

I've never had a flat stout from the Porterhouse, you sure you were in the right establishment?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I think that people are just looking for something different.Who wants to drink the "staple" beers for their whole lives?It would be dull to just drink either Guinness/Heineken/Bulmers/Budweiser or Carlesburg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Omackeral wrote: »
    A shocking amount of people in this thread seem to have drank piss/know what it tastes like. Worrying.

Ah, you're familiar with Golden Shower IPA? Lovely stuff, goes down smooth with a nice tangy aftertaste...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Berserker wrote: »
    People losing the run of themselves with their fancy beers. Yet another sign that the Celtic tiger is coming back. They'll all be getting new decking next, mark my words.

Say people that happily pay through the nose for so called normal beer but balk at paying an extra few cents for something "pretentious", that is, merely a different beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

The mass produced beers tend to leave me with a horrible hangover (Carlsberg by far the worst) I'd imagine this is down to additives.

Of course, craft beers will leave you hanging too but sometimes its not as bad.

The one beer I am able to chug through and feel grand-ish the next morning is Okanagan Spring 1516.

I love craft beers but I'm picky, there's some my mates like that I think taste like watered down cack. On the other hand they think I'm mental for liking cherry beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

circadian wrote: »
    The mass produced beers tend to leave me with a horrible hangover (Carlsberg by far the worst) I'd imagine this is down to additives.

Of course, craft beers will leave you hanging too but sometimes its not as bad.

The one beer I am able to chug through and feel grand-ish the next morning is Okanagan Spring 1516.

I love craft beers but I'm picky, there's some my mates like that I think taste like watered down cack. On the other hand they think I'm mental for liking cherry beer.
    Hangovers are down to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think a lot of the 'backlash' against craft beer drinking is borne out of frustration at the snooty attitude shown by many towards the 80% of the demographic who do drink mass-produced lager. You see it everywhere online and on Boards especially. You see it in this thread.

"Heineken/Budweiser is flat, weak and tasteless"

"Yeah well craft beers taste like piss"

"Yeah well your Mum"

It seems such a strange thing to have such strong feelings about.

One thing I will say is that you simply cannot beat a pint of flat, weak and tasteless mass-produced lager outdoors on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think its an inferiority complex meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

BrokenHero wrote: »
    Craft beer is horrible piss usually brewed by over privileged daddy's boys and drank by their overbearing mates.

Even the **** on the site wouldn't drink that stuff, it's worse than meths.

Yeah, god forbid someone should make a beer that actually tastes of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Craft beers are ****e.

If they were any good there be a huge demand for them and they'd be mass produced.
    A lot of people do not particularly like the taste of beer. It's a recreational drug which they want to get "high" on and so select the least offensive tasting one. Value/price will also come into it, they might "suffer less" if they drank vodka & coke, but its a very expensive form of the drug in pubs. A shot of vodka is only roughly half a pints worth of beer.

So to many heineken or bud are like coated painkiller pills, goes down easier, no overpowering taste they are not fond of, and the end result is the same.

I remember a guy I know being shocked that I would drink a beer with dinner, he solely drank to get drunk and selected budweiser as it had the least taste. I have heard several people saying similar things too.

"Good" does not mean there has to be a high demand. I expect chocolate connoisseurs, cheese connoisseurs, wine connoisseurs would not rate dairy milk, dairly lea, or buckfast very highly. But they are mass produced, the average dairy milk eater might baulk at some of the highly rated chocolate, and the easy single eater might puke if they even smelt some highly rated cheeses.

I think it strange how people are so stuck in their ways about beer, not willing to try any other. I expect there are many would call themselves "guinness drinkers" who may have only tasted 1 or 2 other stouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's wrong with drinking "craft" beers if they are chemical free? I couldn't care less what brand it is once it's;

1. Tastey
    2. Chemicle free

is there any craft beer that tastes of anything other than excessive hops?

If you don't like the bitterness associated with hops, steer clear of the "Pale Ale" style, try something a bit more malty perhaps?

Ask your barman, hopefully they know what they're doing.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Hangovers are down to alcohol.

And therefore quantity. I mostly drink "craft" beers at home and a couple of bottles is probably all. If I'm out for the night, I will check what the pub has on tap and if nothing interesting (which is common) I'll stick to Guinness.

I can certainly handle a bevvy of pints of the black stuff with less consequences than Carslberg or Heineken. I wouldn't touch Budweiser or Coors under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What's wrong with drinking "craft" beers if they are chemical free?

Bad news: all beer is made of chemicals. Also, all other drinks, food and air: chemicals, chemicals, chemicals.

Good news: many chemicals are organic!

Bad news: all beer is made of chemicals. Also, all other drinks, food and air: chemicals, chemicals, chemicals.

Good news: many chemicals are organic!

Made with, not of. The quantity varies quite a bit by brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You sound eleven. "Herpy derpy, you like a fingie wot I don't like, herpitty derpitty derp."

Stick your hipster beer up your hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it strange how people are so stuck in their ways about beer, not willing to try any other. I expect there are many would call themselves "guinness drinkers" who may have only tasted 1 or 2 other stouts.

That's the crux. If someone love Guiness to the point of drinking 10+ pints a week of the stuff, you would expect that same person to be giddy with excitement with the prospect of tasting/trying some/all of the other beers in the porter/stout range.

But instead, you often get the polar opposite view because they tasted one craft stout and it was muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

First Up wrote: »
    Made with, not of. The quantity varies quite a bit by brand.

You are 100% chemicals yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

What's wrong with drinking "craft" beers if they are chemical free? I couldn't care less what brand it is once it's;

1. Tastey
    2. Chemicle free

Chemical free? You like drinkning plain vacuum? Must be hard to find that in most pubs...

And therefore quantity. I mostly drink "craft" beers at home and a couple of bottles is probably all. If I'm out for the night, I will check what the pub has on tap and if nothing interesting (which is common) I'll stick to Guinness.

I can certainly handle a bevvy of pints of the black stuff with less consequences than Carslberg or Heineken. I wouldn't touch Budweiser or Coors under any circumstances.

Have you been spying on me?

You are 100% chemicals yourself.

Fair enough. Perhaps we should differentiate organic and inorganic chemicals.

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Have you been spying on me?

No, but I know your type.

Fair enough. Perhaps we should differentiate organic and inorganic chemicals.

Inorganic such as water, sugar, salt? Those chemicals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I used to be pickier in my taste in beers but since moving to Spain and being forced to drink **** beer for 5 years, I drink absolutely any auld ****e now. I'd have a preference for nicer, tastier craft beers with a bit of flavour to them though but they're not easy to get here.

drkpower wrote: »
    That's the crux. If someone love Guiness to the point of drinking 10+ pints a week of the stuff, you would expect that same person to be giddy with excitement with the prospect of tasting/trying some/all of the other beers in the porter/stout range.

But instead, you often get the polar opposite view because they tasted one craft stout and it was muck.

A lot depends on availability and especially on tap. Draft Guinness is ubiquitous, nothing else is that widely available. If I visit Porterhouse or similar I'm happy to experiment but in your average local, what are the choices?

I used to be pickier in my taste in beers but since moving to Spain and being forced to drink **** beer for 5 years, I drink absolutely any auld ****e now. I'd have a preference for nicer, tastier craft beers with a bit of flavour to them though but they're not easy to get here.

I'm actually thrilled to bits that there now is a bit more choice in beers.

I'm from a town of 70k inhabitants, which currently is home to 10 breweries. With each village around it having its own 1 or 2 breweries.

Coming to Ireland 12 years ago was odd, I'd never been to a place with so little choice in beers. I could never really fathom that, for people who love their drinks as much as the Irish.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Heineken,beer of the Gods.

I worked in bars for years, if we ran out of Heineken we'd tap on a barrel of Carlsberg or even Harp back in the day.
    Nobody ever noticed, it's all hogwash.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Inorganic such as water, sugar, salt? Those chemicals?

Was thinking more of beers that would pass the German “Reinheitsgebot” test or not.

Maybe "additives" would be a more useful term than "chemical".

Advertisement