Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Sales Down As Dickheads Migrate To Craft Beers

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Eutow wrote: »
    Yeah, unless it's branded as something else, though I wouldn't think that would be the case. They are better off without it.

I think Blue Moon is branded as Rickards White in Canada.

I'm not a fan of Carling either TBH

I didn't know about the Blue Moon/Rickards link, I like the Rickards actually, goes down easily :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I worked in an off licence which had over 100 craft beers. Some of the tosh you'd hear people talk about. No clue at all what they were talking about. Talking as if one beer was like a full on michelin star meal with the "flavors" and "textures". All crap. Take this from someone who went through nearly 400 different craft beers over the years. People do indeed like to sound like they are sophisticated in their beer drinking. When in truth craft beer is amazing but it's not vastly different in terms of types across the board. Simply either more bitter or not in the example of ipa's for example. The worst is when a person comes in agonizes over one beer to get for 20 mins (usually a 330ml bottle) and comes upto the counter still eyeing it in uncertainty. Get a grip and stop trying to show me you "care" and are a "big fan" of craft beers. Ooooh you bought one watch out this guy is going to set the world alight maybe we should all get together and watch you take the first sip and wait with anxiety to as to what you're going to think. So yes I do love craft beer I just hate snobs about it.
    Food and drink are as much a hobby to many people as music and other pastimes they like to spend their spare cash on. Imagine being limited a chioce limited to the top ten albums of the year to sit back, relax and enjoy with your friends.

Give me a pub with one branded lager pouring well than one with three dozen craft beers festering in the lines any day of the week.

Bottles are grand, but anyone that drinks craft on draught needs their head examined. And probably their hole too.

Looks like you haven't been to the right pubs that serve craft beers then.

I enjoy craft beers on draught but it depends on where I go, lots of great places for them in the west coast of Canada and the US for example.

Any beer that comes with a five-minute "education" about it's provenance and origin should be banned for pubs.

Shave those side burns you hippy

The beer shouldn't be banned, just the tool boring everyone about it that should be banned IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Kilkenny seems to have a creamier head than Smithwicks though unless I'm mistaken

Might just be how they pour/dispense it.

In any case very little beer is actually transported. Just brewed under licence in different countries. Just the formula travels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There's some guy who does the Health & Fitness slot on Newstalk Breakfast. Now, I am not a medical person, but some of the stuff he comes out with is just plain ridiculous. At one stage, he claimed that craft beer is proportionately healthier than non-craft beer.

What does this even mean?

What evidence is there of that?

I remember asking about it on one of the science forums here, but I think the general consensus was that he was talking BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

I am a Carlsberg Woman - the only beer for me . . .

Bud and Heineken = p1$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

First Up wrote: »

In any case very little beer is actually transported. Just brewed under licence in different countries. Just the formula travels.

Some beers though seem to be slightly different in different countries. Heinken in Ireland is slightly weaker compared to Canada. It tastes of nothing in Ireland, in Canada there is a bit more taste to it. It's 5% in Canada, and just over 4% in Ireland but surely that can't contribute to the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kilkenny seems to have a creamier head than Smithwicks though unless I'm mistaken

Kilkenny is different to Smithwick's alright.

Although having said that - I can't remember the last pub I saw Kilkenny on draught in.

conorh91 wrote: »
    There's some guy who does the Health & Fitness slot on Newstalk Breakfast. Now, I am not a medical person, but some of the stuff he comes out with is just plain ridiculous. At one stage, he claimed that craft beer is proportionately healthier than non-craft beer.

I remember asking about it on one of the science forums here, but I think the general consensus was that he was talking BS.

He's talking boll**k. Maybe because people drink less of it on a night out, i.e. 5 pints as opposed to 12 pints of the more popular stuff, but drink 7 pints of each (assuming similar ABV) it will do the same amount of good/bad as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Eutow wrote: »
    Some beers though seem to be slightly different in different countries. Heinken in Ireland is slightly weaker compared to Canada. It tastes of nothing in Ireland, in Canada there is a bit more taste to it. It's 5% in Canada, and just over 4% in Ireland but surely that can't contribute to the difference.

Could be. The Guinness brewed in Africa is a good bit stronger than here. They can tinker with all that to suit local tastes or legislation.
    Kilkenny works better as an "Irish" brand than Smithwicks, which doesn't sound especially Irish. They could tinker with the formula a bit but it is essentially the same beer.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Kilkenny is different to Smithwick's alright.

Although having said that - I can't remember the last pub I saw Kilkenny on draught in.

Seems to be just in Irish pubs around the world although I do remember seeing it in Kilkenny but that was a long time ago

GreenwayM wrote: »
    I am a Carlsberg Woman - the only beer for me . . .

Bud and Heineken = p1$$

I prefer Carlsberg to Heineken or Bud too but it certainly wouldn't be the only beer for me. I'm not a believer in limiting myself TBH.
    I do enjoy the Guinness when I'm in Ireland though.

Could be. The Guinness brewed in Africa is a good bit stronger than here. They can tinker with all that to suit local tastes or legislation.
    Kilkenny works better as an "Irish" brand than Smithwicks, which doesn't sound especially Irish. They could tinker with the formula a bit but it is essentially the same beer.

Yeah the Guinness in Nigeria would be the Guinness Foreign Extra. There are two versions of this as well, the normal Irish version, and the Nigerian Export version (the Nigerian one has "Export" branding on the label), but they are both branded as Guinness FES. They also both have 7.5 ABV. The Nigerian version has something called Sorghum added to it.

They are completely different to regular Guinness Draught.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

conorh91 wrote: »

It depend on the beer type etc, but it has been shown they would tend to have more vitamins, antioxidants etc that your average mass produced larger. Minor enough benefits at best of course and completly irrelevant if you have more than one or two anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Seems to be just in Irish pubs around the world although I do remember seeing it in Kilkenny but that was a long time ago

They used to serve it in places in Galway in the 90s I think.

Nostalgically I remember it being lovely but it might not hold up.

Surely you can get cans of it somewhere. Must look for it.

Hmmmm..... beers named after places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Try metal man from the great Waterford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Try metal man from the great Waterford.

Have you tried Mine head from Dungarvan pretty tasty too, a metalman drinker would definately like it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

marco_polo wrote: »
    it has been shown they would tend to have more vitamins, antioxidants etc that your average mass produced larger.
    Where was that shown?

Since craft beers are not of uniform type, consistency or manufacturing method, I cannot possibly see how any uniform statement like "they're naff" or "they're healthier" can possibly apply to craft beers.

Some are delicious. Some are vile. Some are slightly healthier than others, regardless of whether they are craft or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

What exactly does "craft" mean when it comes to beer, actually? Is it a different brewing process, or is it analogous to "independent record label" in music, IE simply a smaller brewing operation?

From what I remember, I think some of the breweries (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn) in the US started going by the term "craft" because they became too big to be classed as "micro-breweries" but still wanted to differentiate themselves from the big lads.

I think I remember the founder of Sam Adams saying something to that effect in an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Its just branding. Kilkenny is Smithwicks. Carling here is Molson in Canada.

Kilkenny isn't smithwicks,its flat(ish) and has that creamy guinness type head,you can still get it in some of the tourist pubs around dublin city centre, and its quite nice actualy, but it is not smithwicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Cienciano wrote: »
    In fairness, scooping out a blocked urinal is superior to fosters. I've never met anyone who thought fosters was a really nice drink.

Maybe a good name for a beer in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

flas wrote: »
    Kilkenny isn't smithwicks,its flat(ish) and has that creamy guinness type head,you can still get it in some of the tourist pubs around dublin city centre, and its quite nice actualy, but it is not smithwicks.

You know, funny enough I was looking at a can of Kilkenny in my local europsar the other night (curiousity)

It seems to be made by Guinness. Well, it had Guinness, Saint James' gate as the address on the back. I was surprised at that one.

Also, had a few bottles last night, smithwicks pale ale (not bad at all) but also, my mate had some perlenbacher, now I hadn't drank that in quite a while, but must say it is a dam good drink.

6 x pint bottles for seven euro too.

Kilkenny and Smithwicks are totally different drinks.

Advertisement