Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Sales Down As Dickheads Migrate To Craft Beers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

There's one craft beer in particular that I absolutely adore, it's called fcukyis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

humbert wrote: »
    All I'll say is that they're a far superior drink to meths. The wankers on the street don't drink them because they can't afford them.

The unabridged version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

First Up wrote: »
    So the objection is not to the beers but to some of the people who drink them?
    Still smacks of insecurity and inferiority complex to me.

Well, no, not essentially. Those that do have a hang up with the people, that's their prerogative. That's a personal thing. I was referring to the attitudes surrounding a new thing, ie the craft thing and how it's intrinsically not such a big deal in other countries. There's a certain immaturity surrounding it with us but will abate as time goes on I'd imagine. Check out Alun's post in reference to the UK (Cornwall) a few posts back - that's pretty much what I was getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Well, no, not essentially. Those that do have a hang up with the people, that's their prerogative. That's a personal thing. I was referring to the attitudes surrounding a new thing, ie the craft thing and how it's intrinsically not such a big deal in other countries. There's a certain immaturity surrounding it with us but will abate as time goes on I'd imagine. Check out Alun's post in reference to the UK (Cornwall) a few posts back - that's pretty much what I was getting at.

There may be some of that but what I see is mostly genuine interest and appreciation of a choice of good beers. There is a bit of a novelty factor for some, although anyone who has traveled to Britain, Germany, Belgium or even the US has long been aware that there is more to beer than bland, mass produced advertising slogans.

Much of the derision and criticism of people who like good beer seems to me to be rooted in a mix of resentment, envy and - yes - an inferiority complex.

I'm not a massive fan of crafts beers, some are drinkable though most range between not great and barely drinkable. Wheat beer is absolute puke though, even the smell turns my stomach.

At the end of the day a top class pint of Guinness or smithwicks from a proper local pub where the glass is white after and rings all the way down the glass showing every sip absolutely blows any craft or microbrewery beer miles out the window. There is just no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I'm guessing you haven't tried Crabbies Ginger Beer yet?

is Ginger Beer different from Ginger Ale then? The famous five were hoors for the ginger ale, were they underage bingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm not a massive fan of crafts beers, some are drinkable though most range between not great and barely drinkable. Wheat beer is absolute puke though, even the smell turns my stomach.

At the end of the day a top class pint of Guinness or smithwicks from a proper local pub where the glass is white after and rings all the way down from every sip absolutely blows any craft or microbrewery beer miles out the window.

Good Guinness is a great thing. Smithwicks is a very ordinary ale by international standards but it is all a matter of taste.

The thrust of this thread is not about the beers themselves but the people who drink them. People who like craft beers are attacked for being pretentious, snobby etc.

On the other hand, I might think that anyone who drinks Coors light or Bud is a gullible, easily influenced, insecure wannabee - but I wouldn't dream of saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Good Guinness is a great thing. Smithwicks is a very ordinary ale by international standards but it is all a matter of taste.

The thrust of this thread is not about the beers themselves but the people who drink them. People who like craft beers are attacked for being pretentious, snobby etc.

On the other hand, I might think that anyone who drinks Coors light or Bud is a gullible, easily influenced, insecure wannabee - but I wouldn't dream of saying that.

i dont think anyone is accusing craft beer fanboys of being pretentious snobby etc. i think they accusing them of being gullible, easily influenced, insecure wannabees.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

At the end of the day a top class pint of Guinness or smithwicks from a proper local pub where the glass is white after and rings all the way down the glass showing every sip absolutely blows any craft or microbrewery beer miles out the window. There is just no comparison.

Guinness is very popular amongst NYC hipsters right now, and considered a craft beer. I have a friend who did agriculture in ucd, now living in a studio (bedsit) in East Haahlem (Harlem) who wouldn't be seen dead drinking it at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Guinness is very popular amongst NYC hipsters right now, and considered a craft beer. I have a friend who did agriculture in ucd, now living in a studio (bedsit) in East Haahlem (Harlem) who wouldn't be seen dead drinking it at home.

Whats he doing in Harlem, I'd heard the farming sector was struggling there :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

marco_polo wrote: »
    Whats he doing in Harlem, I'd heard the farming sector was struggling there :p

Rooftop bee keeoing is supposed to be big there atm....

Which reminds me, I've got some bottles of Fuller's Honey Dew in the fridge - bring on Friday evening :)

I will be heading to O'Briens later to pick up their 2*8 cans of Bulmers for e20, can anyone suggest a nice bottle or two that I could get while there to broaden my horizons? Not so big on lager but I do like Guinness & Smithwicks.

PS I am currently sporting a neckbeard so shouldn't get refused if I try to buy something crafty?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jesus lads can't we all just, get along.

I love the move towards craft beers. I moved to the UK 3 years ago and found that most pubs have Guest Ales on all the time. Say what you like about Witherspoons but I drink different ales every time and they cost £2 a pint. I don't mind when I get one I don't particularly like because at least it has enough flavour to be distinctive.

It's the same principal as people who like to try new food. Heino, Bud, Coors, Carlsberg are like different brands of frozen Pizza Margherita. You know what you are going to get and it can't go wrong. I enjoy taking a risk with flavoue. I like most ales and dislike some but I always enjoy finding out. Suppose that makes me a pretentious wankir in the eyes of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Jesus lads can't we all just, get along.

I love the move towards craft beers. I moved to the UK 3 years ago and found that most pubs have Guest Ales on all the time. Say what you like about Witherspoons but I drink different ales every time and they cost £2 a pint. I don't mind when I get one I don't particularly like because at least it has enough flavour to be distinctive.

It's the same principal as people who like to try new food. Heino, Bud, Coors, Carlsberg are like different brands of frozen Pizza Margherita. You know what you are going to get and it can't go wrong. I enjoy taking a risk with flavoue. I like most ales and dislike some but I always enjoy finding out. Suppose that makes me a pretentious wankir in the eyes of some.

You just outed yourself as a "foodie" as well as a "craft beer snob".....

Lots and lots of people don't like either.
    "Sure, what's wrong with boiled meat, boiled veg and boiled spuds?" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm sorry but I just find these kind of posts thick.

Not because you like Guinness or Smithwicks (I also drink them) but that you're basically saying that possibly 1000s of other ales and stouts produced under the (admittedly annoying) 'craft' label is either mediocre or shit.

I will be heading to O'Briens later to pick up their 2*8 cans of Bulmers for e20, can anyone suggest a nice bottle or two that I could get while there to broaden my horizons? Not so big on lager but I do like Guinness & Smithwicks.

PS I am currently sporting a neckbeard so shouldn't get refused if I try to buy something crafty?

Wolf Foreskin Micro Brew is your only man. It's gto an understated yogurty palate underpinned with a challenging piquant salty bouquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

So basically people hate craft beer because posh people drink them?

Talk about having a chip on your shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

O'Brien's should have 8 Degrees, I like the sunburnt red. I think they carry McGargle's as well.
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Try a few red ales from Irish micros. Independent, kinnegar, 8 degrees and mcgargles are all nice and not hoppy.

The hop obsession is quite overdone by a lot of craft brewers, I think it's just a backlash against the blandness of the mass produced stuff.

anncoates wrote: »
    Wolf Foreskin Micro Brew is your only man. It's gt a understated yogurty palate underpinned with a challengingly piquant salty bouquet.

humm, I got two free yoghurts outside Connolly Station this morning though, will I be in danger of Bifidus Digestivum overdose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Try an O'Hara's red, nothing too fancy, just a really nice Irish red ale.

The Rebel Red ale is nice too. Only seems to be in 330ml bottles and some places have it on draught. Always find it nice to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

anncoates wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I just find these kind of posts thick.

Not because you like Guinness or Smithwicks (I also drink them) but that you're basically saying that possibly 1000s of other ales and stouts produced under the (admittedly annoying) 'craft' label is either mediocre or shit.

Guinness is ok but there are much better stouts and porters out there. Guinness is much better than the lagers already mentioned in this thread, no comparasions there.

If only Guinness Foreign Extra was available on tap, now there is a stout that can hold its head up high against the micro breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Shenshen wrote: »
    You just outed yourself as a "foodie" as well as a "craft beer snob".....

Lots and lots of people don't like either.
    "Sure, what's wrong with boiled meat, boiled veg and boiled spuds?" ;)

Yeah I wonder if I have it all wrong...

Instead of enjoying eating and drinking and wasting time finding food and drink I actually enjoy, I should be concentrating on shoveling and bucketing it into myself as quickly as possible while paying no regard to whether I'm actually having a good time or not.... Jayyyyysus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I can't really see this craft beer and cask ales fad taking off here in Mayo, considering anyone who orders Smithwicks with a Guinness head would be seen as someone with "notions".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I can't really see this craft beer and cask ales fad taking off here in Mayo, considering anyone who orders Smithwicks with a Guinness head would be seen as someone with "notions".

These look to be fairly widely available in Mayo.

http://westmayobrewery.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bad news: all beer is made of chemicals. Also, all other drinks, food and air: chemicals, chemicals, chemicals.

Good news: many chemicals are organic!

You know what I mean. By chemicals I mean enhancers, stabilizers, artificial colouring etc etc.

The crap you would normally find in the likes of bud or similar tripe from America.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Chemical free? You like drinkning plain vacuum? Must be hard to find that in most pubs...

Bandwagon... you're on one... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What exactly does "craft" mean when it comes to beer, actually? Is it a different brewing process, or is it analogous to "independent record label" in music, IE simply a smaller brewing operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What exactly does "craft" mean when it comes to beer, actually? Is it a different brewing process, or is it analogous to "independent record label" in music, IE simply a smaller brewing operation?

Small brewery with an emphasis on the brewing technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I'm amused by some of the commentary here.

I'm auld enough to remember the time when Heineken wasn't a popular beer - a "foreign" brew' condemned by the traditionalists of the day. I think it started to become 'cool' after the rugby crowd took a liking to it. Now it's the most popular brand.

And there was a time if you said you liked American beer people would raise their eyebrows - the general consensus seemed to be it was tasteless compared to beers from this side of the Atlantic.

You can't blame Guinness alone for the demise of the local beers, they were seen as old fashioned - just drunk by the old fellas on their pension day. And the quality wasn't always consistent.

It's great to see small local, oops I mean 'micro' breweries opening up and people sampling different continental ales - but some of the pretentious ráiméis talked about them can be irritating alright.

Just remember what's 'cool' today will be passé in a few years time.

Advertisement