Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove that niqab or leave!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,470 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

chatperche wrote: »
    Why because I am posting on an Irish website or replied to your comment on water charges?
    At least I've been here for over a decade so my understanding of the Irish society is a bit more legit than yours of the French one. And as for your comments on Irish Water the concept of an elected government passing laws is pretty much the same in most democratic countries. It's hardly rocket science.

Again you presume to know more about me than you actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chatperche

Well go on, enlighten me. Because clearly you are an expert on France, French society and the immigration and integration situation.
    Come on give me all the facts, and where you get them from. This should be interesting.

chatperche wrote: »
    Well go on, enlighten me. Because clearly you are an expert on France, French society and the immigration and integration situation.
    Come on give me all the facts, and where you get them from. This should be interesting.

I have never claimed to be any of the above but please feel free to point out where i have made this claim. Feel free to also post your full credentials that make you the expert on the above, "ZOMG i'm French" will not cut it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Packrat

I have Muslim friends, when i visit them i call ahead to let them.know i am on the way. His wife then has time to get her head cover on. I do this out of respect for her not him. The same i wouldn't call around to the house and expect to be bought in for a cup.of tea when he isn't there as this would be disrespectful to both of them.

We have spoken many times and even though her husband has been in the house i have been left alone in a room with her for up to half an hour chatting while our children played together. I have met her on the street and talked with her and even walked in the same direction chatting as i would with Mrs Murphy from down the street.

I call bullsh1t on this.

Do you shake hands with her when you meet her on the street,- actually, how do you even know that it's her you've just met?

Big difference is Mrs Murphys husband isn't sitting at night praying/plotting for Gods vengeance on you as an infidel.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Packrat wrote: »
    I call bullsh1t on this.

Call the pope for all the ****s i give kiddo
    Do you shake hands with her when you meet her on the street,- actually, how do you even know that it's her you've just met?

Yes i do shake hands with her. It's actually not hard to recognise her when she is the only woman collecting her kids who is wearing a niqab :rolleyes:
    Big difference is Mrs Murphys husband isn't sitting at night praying/plotting for Gods vengeance on you as an infidel.

Ah the crux of your post, throw in a little Islamophobic sentiment rabble rabble rabble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Packrat

Call the pope for all the ****s i give kiddo

Yes i do shake hands with her. It's actually not hard to recognise her when she is the only woman collecting her kids who is wearing a niqab :rolleyes:

Ah the crux of your post, throw in a little Islamophobic sentiment rabble rabble rabble

Pope? :confused:

Just shown your bullsh1t there, - a niqab wearing Muslim woman wouldn't shake your hand. Its against their belief in their particular brand of sky faries.

How about if there are two of them, or ten...

"Islamophobic" isn't a real word, it's just made up bullsh1t which you and your kind - Nodin etc use to shut down discussion.
    The biggest laugh will be when your policy of appeasement leads to you being eaten first rather than last by the aforementioned crocodile.

Jog on.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Pope? :confused:

Just shown your bullsh1t there, - a niqab wearing Muslim woman wouldn't shake your hand. Its against their belief in their particular brand of sky faries.

Sure, The fanatical ones are a bit "uptight" about that sort of thing, The more liberal ones are ok, fwiw my friends wife is white and was born in Ireland.
    How about if there are two of them, or ten...

You asked me how i recognised her, she is the only one i have ever seen in the area i live in and 99/10 times when we meet she has her children with her who i also recognise.
    "Islamophobic" isn't a real word, it's just made up bullsh1t which you and your kind - Nodin etc use to shut down discussion.

Please explain what my "kind" are
    The biggest laugh will be when your policy of appeasement leads to you being eaten first rather than last by the aforementioned crocodile.

Jog on.

More scaremongering and hysteria, Can't say i blame you, it's human nature to be afraid of things we don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think it is insulting to be treated as though you were a toxic chemical by muslim women, just because you're a man, being ignored when you offer a muslim women a seat on the bus, not being sat beside because you are a man is insulting, you have just paid a male bus driver.
    Wearing the veil is a barrier and not engaging in our society is insulting to us.
    Not answering the door to a man who calls to read the gas or electric meter or doing a census is crazy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Close the computer,

Go outside,

Meet someone who isn't Irish and have a conversation

It will open up whole new worlds for you.

17 plus posts a day and you're telling others to close the computer, maybe take your own advice for a change.

Thanks for the heads up on the ignore button by the way. I never felt the need to use it until now, now I do.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    17 plus posts a day and you're telling others to close the computer, maybe take your own advice for a change.

Thanks for the heads up on the ignore button by the way. I never felt the need to use it until now, now I do.

Oh my god someone posts while sitting at a computer in work call the mental hospital because he is obviously cray cray :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Religion a bigger problem then drugs, terrorism and irish water combined,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Religion a bigger problem then drugs, terrorism and irish water combined,

difference between than and then is another problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

folan wrote: »
    difference between than and then is another problem.

If your going to criticise my grammar at least formulate your sentence properly.

The difference between than and then is another problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Sure, The fanatical ones are a bit "uptight" about that sort of thing, The more liberal ones are ok, fwiw my friends wife is white and was born in Ireland.

Out of interest was she born a Muslim? Or did she convert?

Did she cover her face before she married her husband or only after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭DeadHand

CptMackey wrote: »

Please do tell us! I know lots of hot, assertive young Irish women that need covering up and subjucating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

DeadHand wrote: »
    Please do tell us! I know lots of hot, assertive young Irish women that need covering up and subjucating.

does it really matter? at the end of the day this thread was about a woman who chose to wear a niqab that was asked to leave a theater in France, where a law states they cannot wear one.

this is Ireland, where people are free to wear what ever they choose, if they should choose to wear a niqab we should let them,

hoodwinked wrote: »
    does it really matter? at the end of the day this thread was about a woman who chose to wear a niqab that was asked to leave a theater in France, where a law states they cannot wear one.

this is Ireland, where people are free to wear what ever they choose, if they should choose to wear a niqab we should let them,

I Think it does. We are being told by the left that it is their choice. I would maintain that it is imposed on them by men who happen to believe in a fictional character that lives in the sky and talked through a man who slept with a nine year old child .

She was born a catholic and chose to convert when she met her husband. No she never covered her face before marriage and says she chose to do it when i asked if she HAD to wear it.

I Think it does. We are being told by the left that it is their choice. I would maintain that it is imposed on them by men who happen to believe in a fictional character that lives in the sky and talked through a man who slept with a nine year old child .

Why not get to know some Muslims and ask them instead?

that is your opinion on their religion, i am agnostic, but i know better than to criticize someone for their belief's they are very personal things to those that have them and no-one should take those beliefs away from those who do believe.

and as the matter stands they should be free to believe what they want and wear what they want as long as they are here in Ireland, just as we are free to believe (or not believe) and wear what we want in Ireland.

• Advertisement

She was born a catholic and chose to convert when she met her husband. No she never covered her face before marriage and says she chose to do it when i asked if she HAD to wear it.

So she never felt compelled to cover her face before. Funny it only happened when she converted. I doubt she would admit being forced to wear it but I'd say it was the case. All because she joined a cult that views women as property.

A good a reason as any to ban the covering of the face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Anyway, my feeling on the matter at hand would be when in Rome do as the Romans do.

She was wrong to wear the niquab to the theatre in Paris as wrong as I would be to wear a baseball cap inside a church in Dublin or assless chaps around a market in Riyadh. It was disrespectful to the customs of the place she was in.

Whether her actions should have been illegal as well as merely improper is a seperate question, I honestly don't know. I understand the reasoning behind such laws but it always makes me uneasy when a government starts to ban things.

On a broader note, Muslims (be they recent arrivals, 2nd generation or 40th) must adapt to the cultures of what we broadly term "the West" (US, EUR, CAN, AUS, NZ) instead of expecting these cultures to adapt to them. The majority do, despite the odd flashpoint like this. As flashpoints go, this was a relative storm in a teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

So she never felt compelled to cover her face before. Funny it only happened when she converted. I doubt she would admit being forced to wear it but I'd say it was the case. All because she joined a cult that views women as property.

To my mind the garment itself is a cultural nuance that has somehow been incorporated into less secular forms of Islam over generations to the point where now it is almost accepted to be a religious garment, when I don't think it ever was. In my opinion its purpose is to both subjugate women and at the same time discriminate against men. How come men don't have to wear such a garment? I understand it is the choice of many women to wear this thing - but are they don't that purely because they believe that it in some way honours the religious path they have chosen? Or indeed their husbands?

So you ask a question

I answer the question

You don't like the answer i gave you as it does not fit your agenda

You make more stuff up.

Got it. :rolleyes:

As i said, go out and meet some Muslim people for yourself, maybe educate yourself on their religion and beliefs instead of making generalized sweeping statements.

So you ask a question

I answer the question

You don't like the answer i gave you as it does not fit your agenda

You make more stuff up.

Got it. :rolleyes:

As i said, go out and meet some Muslim people for yourself, maybe educate yourself on their religion and beliefs instead of making generalized sweeping statements.

Don't you see the problem? She NEVER covered her face before so why now?
    What has changed?

She converts to Islam because of her husband and bam face covered. It can't be for cultural reasons as she is Irish so it must be religious.
    Therefore it stands to reason that it was imposed on her.

We shouldn't be allowing peoples faces to be covered for religious reasons(stupid reason) .

As for talking to Muslims , I deal with them every day. Most are fine however when I meet women with their face covered it is impossible to deal with them .
    And if their husbands are there you can't even look at them.

Ban covering the face on religious grounds and ban any other religious rubbish along with it. Not just islam but every denomination. We would all be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. Some Muslims don't shake hands with the opposite sex, a niqab wearing woman would have no problem shaking hands with another woman. When I brought my mother to visit my workplace she shook hands with two women in niqabs and most of the men as well for that matter.

Islam doesn't feature a belief that the "infidel is unclean" or any of that nonsense; that's primarily a feature of Orthodox Judaism.

Ban covering the face on religious grounds and ban any other religious rubbish along with it. Not just islam but every denomination. We would all be better off.

no we wouldn't, people who believe have many reasons for doing so, i don't believe, my husband is extremely religious, it brings him comfort in times when he's needed it, i don't understand it but to him it means something positive.

how would he be "better off" without his religion?

hoodwinked wrote: »

how would he be "better off" without his religion?

The same way we are all better off by not believing that the world is flat.

If you realsise that we only pass this way once then you can enjoy your life without worrying about punishment from a man in the sky and take comfort from your loved ones who are here. That is how you are better off.

We should no more look to God for guidance than we do superman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

If your going to criticise my grammar at least formulate your sentence properly.

The difference between than and then is another problem.

ditto

• Advertisement

The same way we are all better off by not believing that the world is flat.

If you realsise that we only pass this way once then you can enjoy your life without worrying about punishment from a man in the sky and take comfort from your loved ones who are here. That is how you are better off.

We should no more look to God for guidance than we do superman

but why should we have people worrying about a punishment from a man here? (a garda for example should this "ban on religion" come into effect),

surely by controlling these people's belief's by forcing them not to believe you are no better than the men you give out about for allegedly controlling these women's belief's

Advertisement