Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove that niqab or leave!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Ewww, Daily Mail.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ridiculous law to begin with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

that's mental
    jesus, she's not harming anyone

So much for "no it's to protect them really"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Vivvy la difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I don't really object to someone wearing the niqab at the opera. Perhaps she'd like to nod-off, while attempting to look cultured.

Although I do object to the niqab in the street, and in the workplace. Part of living in society means living together, and not going around with a rag over your face, asking to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Hitchens wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799981/woman-thrown-paris-opera-cast-refused-perform-unless-removed-muslim-veil.html

Fair play to the cast of the opera and the security people for upholding the law.

Hopefully, we would do the same here!

Allez France!

Do what exactly? Uphold ridiculous laws like our blasphemy one?

Brave defenders of French culture :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't see what difference it make,particularly to the bloody cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I went to Saudi Arabia once I was told to cover my hair by a man fair
    enough they have strict dresscodes.

France have their dresscodes be free show your skin live life :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

123balltv wrote: »
    I went to Saudi Arabia once I was told to cover my hair by a man fair
    enough they have strict dresscodes.

France have their dresscodes be free show your skin live life :)

It's not really "being free" to show your skin if you're being forced to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

She is a fine looking woman in fairness.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's not really "being free" to show your skin if you're being forced to do it
    That's what I say too, every time I go into the bank with a motorcycle helmet on.

human rites!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hitchens wrote: »
    Fair play to the cast of the opera and the security people for upholding the law.

Hopefully, we would do the same here!

Allez France!

Yes, because upholding the law is what you have a boner for, not getting one over on the muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

They're dead right, walk into an opera in a Muslim country wearing an mini skirt and see what happens.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    They're dead right, walk into an opera in a Muslim country wearing an mini skirt and see what happens.

And away we go with the silly statements. How many times will it be regurgitated this thread? 10, 20. 30, 40?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'd imagine I'd get quite a few questions and funny looks, being a 6' hairy red-faced Irishman and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't see what difference it make,particularly to the bloody cast!

Typical luvvie hysterics this.

This is probably the most stupid argument I've ever heard.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'd imagine I'd get quite a few questions and funny looks, being a 6' hairy red-faced Irishman and all...

You'd get more than that, a man wearing a skirt in those countries would probably be locked up.

You'll be sick of hearing it by the end of this poxy thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Nodin wrote: »
    And away we go with the silly statements. How many times will it be regurgitated this thread? 10, 20. 30, 40?

It's reasonable. Different cultures have different rules. Ireland has moved from Catholicism to the quasi religiousity of American politically correctness. France has long had a distrust of religion and has banned religious symbolism and attire for generations. To the "modern" Irish mind American secularism ( ban religion from public buildings ) is obvious - to the French mind the French system( ban it from public buildings and any public display) is equally obvious. The Saudis ban non-Islamic religiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Really? A workmates sister was over in an Arab country for some competition, and had a female shopkeeper spit at her just because she had a tattoo on her wrist.

The shopkeeper did ask first if it was real though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's what I say too, every time I go into the bank with a motorcycle helmet on.
    Pretty disingenuous, the woman was at an opera, not going into the bank.

This is one that's always difficult to reconcile. The niqab is undoubtedly a symbol of a culture of misogyny and oppression. And on one hand, there is every right to work towards an end where this culture is eradicated and with it the symbols of that oppression.

At the same time, if someone chooses to wear it, are they really being oppressed? But on top of that you could equally argue that choosing to wear it tacitly supports the oppressive mindset/culture/religion which demands it, and so someone who chooses to wear it should be made to feel ashamed of themselves for doing so and voluntarily supporting such misogyny and oppression.

Do you have a counter argument? or is it just stupid because you say so?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's reasonable. Different cultures have different rules. Ireland has moved from Catholicism to the quasi religiousity of American politically correctness. France has long had a distrust of religion and has banned religious symbolism and attire for generations. To the "modern" Irish mind American secularism ( ban religion from public buildings ) is obvious - to the French mind the French system( ban it from public buildings and any public display) is equally obvious. The Saudis ban non-Islamic religiosity.

The Saudis do what the Saudis do,the thread is about the French.

It's a silly argument because the reason behind the ban as argued by France that 'it encouraged citizens to "live together".' Tell me how it encourages people to live together if you are effectively making people housebound or booting them out of public events because they don't want to abandon their beliefs?

Why should we change the law here just because we'd be treated in a certain way if we visited a Middle Eastern country? We don't do that for anything else, so why should the niqab issue be any different?

When in Rome (Paris) do as the Romans(Parisians) do.
    The French have clearly decided that "multiculturalism" had gone too far and was degrading French culture and lifestyle, that they decided to enact laws to preserve it.

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty disingenuous, the woman was at an opera, not going into the bank.

Still, I'm pretty sure that if she went in wearing a balaclava, or a motorcycle helmet, she'd be asked to remove it. I know that's what I'd expect for myself, entering a darkened room. Wouldn't everyone?
    conorh91 wrote: »

human rites!!!

Given that it is the only art-form with a tendency to criticize Islam, I doubt most Islamic societies appreciate opera.

But that's unlikely to be the main source of Islamic scholars' objection to opera. They really put 1950s Catholic Bishops in the ha'penny place. Get a load of this, which I'm sure applies to operas, as well as foreign movies and soaps.

http://islamqa.info/en/125535
    125535: Ruling on watching Arabic and foreign movies and soaps, and the ruling on listening to music
    What is seen in soap operas, movies and plays of the blatant and wanton display of women (tabarruj), and their soft voices, enticing walks, dancing and singing – all of these are things that are forbidden in the religion of Allaah, and they are among the easiest means that enable [Satan] to enter and settle in the heart of the viewer, when he can take the reins and direct the person and his physical faculties in ways that incur the wrath of the Lord, may He be exalted.

[…]

No one should dispute the bad effects that these soap operas and movies have on societies in general, and on young men and women in particular. An actor may charm a married woman so that she becomes infatuated with him, and she destroys her family by her actions. And young men may become infatuated with beautiful actresses and for that reason they forego halaal marriage in pursuit of haraam pleasure....

From the above it may be known that the ruling on listening to music, and watching movies and soap operas, which are shown on public and private channels, is that it is undoubtedly haraam to broadcast them and it is haraam [forbidden] to watch them or listen to them.

We ask Allaah to set the Muslims’ affairs straight.

And Allaah knows best.
    okayy…

kneemos wrote: »
    The Saudis do what the Saudis do,the thread is about the French.
    The French have the same rights to impose such laws as the Saudis, in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So because those countries impose dress rules on their people, we in the west should do the same? That'll learn 'em!

Is there any logic behind that or is it just out of spite?

Advertisement