Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove that niqab or leave!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Nodin wrote: »
    Yeah, a tiny, tiny number of French muslim women wore something the right didn't like, and to try and woo voters back from another party, Sarkozy brought in a law that effectively targeted them.
    link for that law that he brought in that doesn't apply to everyone on French soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

France already regularly experiences riots.

and? thats nothing new.
    One of the main complaints coming from the people in the areas where these riots occur is that they feel alienated from society.

thats the most common complaint even though it isn't true. they are just complaining because their area is no longer an exclusively white area.
    This law was brought in to stop people alienating themselves from society.

it doesn't work. all though that wasn't the reason. just a failed right wing government trying to get votes from the very extreme of the right wing populous.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

jimboblep wrote: »
    No they are not.
    they are. if one wishes not to pay the water charge thats their choice. if one wants to get up the goat of the gullible right wing in france by wearing a full vale good luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hitchens wrote: »
    link for that law that he brought in that doesn't apply to everyone on French soil?

This crap again?

A law that in theory applies to everyone can still only affect a tiny minority. A law that prevents piercings in theory effects everyone but in practice only effects those who have or want same. A law that bans scattering of ashes in rivers would in practice only really affect those who request such a burial and a religion that demands its followers are buried in such a manner.

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Disaffected, deprived, and minority. 3 words which have nothing to do with a law against covering your face in public. It's a simple law for simple reasons, it's very understandable. You're reading way too much in to it.
    its a bigoted racist law for bigoted racist reasons. not understandable at all, and nobody is "reading way too much in to it" . they are reading it for what it is because its way more simple to read then a book, thats how predictable the reasoning for it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

its a bigoted racist law for bigoted racist reasons. not understandable at all, and nobody is "reading way too much in to it" . they are reading it for what it is because its way more simple to read then a book, thats how predictable the reasoning for it was

How is it racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned liberal, but why da fuq would someone else's items of clothing need to be legislated against? Do mine socks offend thee? Does my novelty Christmas sweater make you feel uncomfortable (it is rather itchy, I'll give you that)?

But to legislate against clothing? It's crass stupidity. To paraphrase Stephen Fry, it makes you uncomfortable. So fuggin' what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

So the young lads were wearing niqabs?
    I never said that, re-read my post I refereed to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Prove what? Around 2,000 women wore the poxy thing. Taking the French muslim population as being 5 million, that's roughly 0.0004 percent. "social cohesion" and 'protecting French culture' my arse.

Ah it's grand so, doesn't really affect that many people. Seems the majority of the French people are in favour, good luck to um.

I never said that, re-read my post I refereed to people.

Vague crap. The law bears no relation to "social cohesion". You trying to make some link to disaffected young men is a nonsense.
    fedor2 wrote:
    Ah it's grand so, doesn't really affect that many people..

Like defective airplanes, racism, homophobia and the like. Only affects a minority so why bother worrying about them?

• Advertisement

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned liberal, but why da fuq would someone else's items of clothing need to be legislated against? Do mine socks offend thee? Does my novelty Christmas sweater make you feel uncomfortable (it is rather itchy, I'll give you that)?

But to legislate against clothing? It's crass stupidity. To paraphrase Stephen Fry, it makes you uncomfortable. So fuggin' what?

It's a law against covering ones face. COVERING ONES FACE, it has nothing to do with socks,sweaters or any other item of clothing.

Vague crap. The law bears no relation to "social cohesion". You trying to make some link to disaffected young men is a nonsense.

Like defective airplanes, racism, homophobia and the like. Only affects a minority so why bother worrying about them?

Nah, I'm just talking about people that cover their faces in public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

It's a law against covering ones face. COVERING ONES FACE, it has nothing to do with socks,sweaters or any other item of clothing.

actually it does, if it applies to hats, scarves, hoodies...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

no link yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

they are. if one wishes not to pay the water charge thats their choice. if one wants to get up the goat of the gullible right wing in france by wearing a full vale good luck to them

And then they have to face the consequence, its very simple.

Hitchens wrote: »
    no link yet? :)

It's been explained to you. Be obtuse all you want.

Ah it's grand so, doesn't really affect that many people. Seems the majority of the French people are in favour, good luck to um.
    sometimes the majority aren't entitled to have things their way

Nah, I'm just talking about people that cover their faces in public

Sneering nonsense in place of an argument. There's a shock.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    actually it does, if it applies to hats, scarves, hoodies...etc

So it doesn't just affect Muslim women, I guess. I don't know what kind of hats you wear or wether you pull socks down over your face, just don't do it in France.

In a democracy they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Pull the curtains love

jimboblep wrote: »
    And then they have to face the consequence, its very simple.
    there worth suffering, in the case of the full vale in france especially, its effectively punishing people because "dayz mudlimz" . without saying as such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Forensic nitpicking ftw eh Nodin.

What's to argue about, you lost me when you mentioned airplanes and homosexuals in a conversation about a law that prohibits people from covering their faces in public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

No, they should listen to you instead. Are you going to retract the slur you made on the entire French nation from yesterday?

What's to argue about, you lost me when you mentioned airplanes and homosexuals in a conversation about a law that prohibits people from covering their faces in public

...a law that effectively targets one group and was introduced with that group in mind.

In a democracy they are
    there not. it has to be justifyable. the french law on the ful vale isn't as its for bigoted racist reasons, meaning the majority aren't entitled to get what they want which is this law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Duck Soup wrote: »

It's not against clothing, it;s against having the face covered. There's a bit of a difference, they can cover their hair and wear the black, I don't know what you call them..gown..or whatever, if they want.

They just can't cover their face. And I think that's fair.

No, they should listen to you instead. Are you going to retract the slur you made on the entire French nation from yesterday?
    no . as it wasn't against the french nation, but those who support enforce and who brought in this bigoted racist law

• Advertisement

there not. it has to be justifyable. the french law on the ful vale isn't as its for bigoted racist reasons, meaning the majority aren't entitled to get what they want which is this law

But they have this law, which the majority of the French public support.

Advertisement