Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

BandMember wrote: »
    Did you use this company? How did it work out for you? Wondering whether to try either there or Amazon or eBay....

Yes ordered off them just waiting on the box now its been shipped, everyting seems fine so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

dahat wrote: »
    Look for the Pak India add on in the Xunity talk repository. Great stuff.

Being using this the last few days, bl oo dy excellent = thanks vdubtv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭BandMember

Yes ordered off them just waiting on the box now its been shipped, everyting seems fine so far

Cool! Keep us posted, please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Coldfire, would you have the exe or win version please , the link above no longer works, would love to try it on my win machine

The link above brings me to
    http://kodi.tv/download/
    which I think is different

Thanks

You have got the right link.

First download and install this:
    http://kodi.tv/download/

Once installed follow this link for config wizard:
    http://www.tvaddons.ag/config-wizard-kodi/

That will install everything, if you wish to install the addons individually then follow this link:
    http://www.tvaddons.ag/addon-installer-kodi/

For Android, do this for the first step:
    http://www.tvaddons.ag/install-kodi-android/

Second will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

HI, Currently I am playing movies using apps on my phone and casting them to my tv or by downloading them and playing them through my media drive- doesn't take that long as have good BB
    I play my sports through an app on my phone and then connecting by HDMI to play through my TV though it does eat the battery a bit.
    I was just wondering is it worth getting an Android box was looking at Minix Neo X8-H- but was wondering would it be much better then what I am currently doing or worth the expense. I would mainly be using it for TV/Movies and sports.
    Any advise would be great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Luckycharm wrote: »
    HI, Currently I am playing movies using apps on my phone and casting them to my tv or by downloading them and playing them through my media drive- doesn't take that long as have good BB
    I play my sports through an app on my phone and then connecting by HDMI to play through my TV though it does eat the battery a bit.
    I was just wondering is it worth getting an Android box was looking at Minix Neo X8-H- but was wondering would it be much better then what I am currently doing or worth the expense. I would mainly be using it for TV/Movies and sports.
    Any advise would be great

Well worth it for TV and movies, sport is a bit hit and miss though

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

threein99 wrote: »
    Well worth it for TV and movies, sport is a bit hit and miss though

I agree. With a bit of effort you will get sport also but it can be a little frustrating from time to time. I recommended an M8 box in another thread and it is a remarkable piece of kit for the price. It does pretty much everything the Minix does but for a fraction of the price. There is a good community over on freaktab if you want to update/change firmware etc but I still have the stock version on mine and it works perfectly with absolutely no issues so far.

Thanks might look into the M8 then so that would do the job as I said would only really be using for Films and Streams for sports- if you could recommend where to get it many tks

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Luckycharm wrote: »

Thats it alright. I would definitely recommend the wireless keyboard/remote as well as the one that comes with it is brutal. This is the one I got and it works well as a mouse and keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Looks like Google is annoyed with the fire...an atom processor no less

If this is cheap it might be great if xbmc worked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Looks like Google is annoyed with the fire...an atom processor no less

If this is cheap it might be great if xbmc worked on it.

$99, with an atom processor and if it can be XBMC'd this could be very interesting.

Hard to know if it has much in the area of connectivity though, USB's etc.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/google-unveils-nexus-9-tablet-nexus-6-phone-nexus-player-streamer/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Does anyone else experience problems running Netflix on an Android box? Last night I went to watch something on a Minix Neo X7 and I couldn't get the program to play no matter what I tried. It just constantly displayed the loading circle and eventually (3 minutes?) popped up an error message saying it couldn't connect to the network even though I know I'm getting 10mb minimum download sped at the box confirmed by Speedtest in between efforts to get Netflix to work.

I tried logging off and logging back in again which I could do no problem and I could search for and display programs no problem but when selected they simply won't play even though I can stream sports content and movies via XBMC over the internet etc.

Frustrated. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone else experience problems running Netflix on an Android box? Last night I went to watch something on a Minix Neo X7 and I couldn't get the program to play no matter what I tried. It just constantly displayed the loading circle and eventually (3 minutes?) popped up an error message saying it couldn't connect to the network even though I know I'm getting 10mb minimum download sped at the box confirmed by Speedtest in between efforts to get Netflix to work.

I tried logging off and logging back in again which I could do no problem and I could search for and display programs no problem but when selected they simply won't play even though I can stream sports content and movies via XBMC over the internet etc.

I have problems on my Neo x8 with Netflix, I empty the data/cache of the app and it seems to sort it. Sometimes I need to reboot too. Netflix was working fine, have been having problems the last two weeks or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Allyall wrote: »
    I'd say this is the newest Finless for that - Finless 1.6 ROM

I haven't used one in a while, but Finless ROMS usually had instructions and tools required inside the zip.

This shows how - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5toEhgv6w

This should be similar and maybe a better video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLWzL6jod4

Allyall,

Sorry to come back to this but I have not had a chance to do it yet but will have time tomorrow i.e. install the Finless ROM1.6

So I just wanted to double check that this will work on the MK908II with the RK3188 chip - not the RK3188T chip please?

Scared that I'll brick it :)

Thanks

Hi all,

I hope it's not wrong to ask an XBMC question on this thread, if it is please delete/ignore.

I have 13.2 running on a Win 8.1 laptop which is connecting fine to my NAS over WiFi. It will play content from the NAS no problem and if I use an add on to stream content form the web I can do that also no problem.

The issue I have is I'm not seeing any thumbnails for the content on my NAS at all. I've been through the menus looking for a "thumbnail" options menu but can't see anything. I also searched online and found a couple of suggestions to delete a file called “Textures.db” but that only seems to be where the Thumbnail database is corrupt.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭BandMember

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on Smoothstreams/Starstreams?

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks! :)

Hi all,

I see there is an updated Netflix apk in the play store. I wonder will it fix our problems?

branners69 wrote: »
    I see there is an updated Netflix apk in the play store. I wonder will it fix our problems?

Not sure if my box updated automatically or not but when I went to tackle it last night it worked perfectly, I didn't have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BandMember wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone had any information on Smoothstreams/Starstreams?

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks! :)

The Pak-India add-on should suffice for Sports. Mentioned a page or two back.

• Advertisement

CinSoots wrote: »
    Thats it alright. I would definitely recommend the wireless keyboard/remote as well as the one that comes with it is brutal. This is the one I got and it works well as a mouse and keyboard.

I don't suppose there is any chance my Horizon remote would work it has the keyboard on the back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

branners69 wrote: »

why would you still pay 4 netflix when no u have xbmc ??????

massy086 wrote: »

Several reasons:-

1. Not everything is available on XBMC
    2. Convenience
    3. Low cost
    4. For using on tablets/laptops/phones when travelling/out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

2. Convenience
    3. Low cost

reasons for using netflix over xbmc

3. Low cost

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2. Convenience
    3. Low cost

I also use AceStream Player,M***ro & Sh**b*x.Those along with XBMC give you literally everything you need.I have M****o & S*****x on my phone.

If you have your Android device running a configured XBMC then Netflix is like it's poor cousin in comparison.

zerks wrote: »
    I also use AceStream Player,Mobdro & Showbox.Those along with XBMC give you literally everything you need.I have Mobdro & Showbox on my phone.
    Please don't refer to apps whose only purpose or use is the provision of content in breach of copyright, you will get this thread shut down. (Re broadcasting "free" to air channels without a licence from the content owners is just as illegal as re-broadcasting channels like Sky Sports)
    zerks wrote: »
    If you have your Android device running a configured XBMC then Netflix is like it's poor cousin in comparison.

I have my XBMC boxes set up in the manner you suggest and for €7 a month I value the convenience of having all the Netflix content avaialble to me 100% of the time without having to deal with broken links, poor quality copies/cam's etc and stuttering playback and the latter isn't due to my broadband as I have 100mb fibre from UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Please don't refer to apps whose only purpose or use is the provision of content in breach of copyright, you will get this thread shut down. (Re broadcasting "free" to air channels without a licence from the content owners is just as illegal as re-broadcasting channels like Sky Sports)

I have my XBMC boxes set up in the manner you suggest and for €7 a month I value the convenience of having all the Netflix content avaialble to me 100% of the time without having to deal with broken links, poor quality copies/cam's etc and stuttering playback and the latter isn't due to my broadband as I have 100mb fibre from UPC.

It doesn't take much to know what's a crap cam or a hd stream.I just don't see the point in paying for Netflix when I can stream the same & newer content free via xbmc & other "stuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

More novice questions ...

How do you add an icon for a specific add-on to your XBMC homepage?

How do you favourite an add-on?

Thanks.

massy086 wrote: »

The main reason is kids! The eight year old can use XBMC but has a go at me when it bombs out or doesn't work! The four year old also prefers Netflix (over XBMC) especially using the Apple TV and I have to agree with her!

I think the €7 per month is well worth it for Netflix, especially for all the kids programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

iba wrote: »
    Allyall,

Sorry to come back to this but I have not had a chance to do it yet but will have time tomorrow i.e. install the Finless ROM1.6

So I just wanted to double check that this will work on the MK908II with the RK3188 chip - not the RK3188T chip please?

Scared that I'll brick it :)

Thanks

Yep it should be for the RK3188. I think Roms will work on both, the only real difference being that the RK3188-T is a lower end slower version.

I'm not entirely sure, but going off memory, I think that it's fairly easy to unbrick the RK3188 anyway. (I may be getting that mixed up with the RK3066, or it may apply to both, bettter to double check)
    JTMan wrote: »
    More novice questions ...

How do you add an icon for a specific add-on to your XBMC homepage?

How do you favourite an add-on?

Thanks.
    Assuming you have confluence skin
    Go to System -> Appearance -> Skin -> Settings -> Addon Shortcuts

and change these (Video/Music/Pictures/Programs/Etc..)

Homepage Videos Submenu
    Add-On 1
    Add-On 2
    Add-On 3
    Add-On 4
    Add-On 5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement