Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Can someone explain to me the legalities of streaming content such as live sky sports on an xmbc device?
    I am not asking anyone to recommend anything illegal or point me in the direction of any devices or software. I am just confused on where streaming devices such as dreambox sit within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Brego888 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the legalities of streaming content such as live sky sports on an xmbc device?
    I am not asking anyone to recommend anything illegal or point me in the direction of any devices or software. I am just confused on where streaming devices such as dreambox sit within the law.

The box is legal, it's how you use it that can be illegal a la a sports car. You can use it for driving within the speed limit (legal) but you can also use it to drive at 150km an hour which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Question folks

I'm running Gotham 13.2 on my G box. As of late when I am watching films or a TV series , it will cut out half way through it, and I will need to start again.

I've cleared the cache etc , but it's only started To happen recently. Any suggestions on what the issue is ? It's not just with one certain add on its with a few different ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Question folks

I'm running Gotham 13.2 on my G box. As of late when I am watching films or a TV series , it will cut out half way through it, and I will need to start again.

I've cleared the cache etc , but it's only started To happen recently. Any suggestions on what the issue is ? It's not just with one certain add on its with a few different ones.
    Wipe Partition and Factory reset. Try a different ROM, or (preferably) try Linux etc..
    Which Gbox?

Allyall wrote: »
    Wipe Partition and Factory reset. Try a different ROM, or (preferably) try Linux etc..
    Which Gbox?

Im using this one

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1603184516.html?productId=1603184516&productSubject=Android-4-2-tv-Box-Smart-Google-Fully-Loaded-XBMC-Droidbox-G-Box-gbox-MX2-Navi&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Does factory reset not mean I would lose everything on the box ? I've never updated a rom before . I've only every updated XBMC to Gotham so wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

It's only started to happen recently since I got that cache full message .

• Advertisement

Im using this one
    Does factory reset not mean I would lose everything on the box ? I've never updated a rom before . I've only every updated XBMC to Gotham so wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

It's only started to happen recently since I got that cache full message .

Yes it will wipe everything, but that's okay, custom ROM is very easy.
    Hold on, sending PM now, as some details may be grey area.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive been using XBMC for about 6 years now, but only just installed Navi X tonight for the first time. Ive found that the vast majority of live TV streams dont seem to work. When I select them, they start the spinning icon as if about to load and then it just stops and channel after channel is like this. I did get some to work, but not many. Any ideas?

Ive been using XBMC for about 6 years now, but only just installed Navi X tonight for the first time. Ive found that the vast majority of live TV streams dont seem to work. When I select them, they start the spinning icon as if about to load and then it just stops and channel after channel is like this. I did get some to work, but not many. Any ideas?

Navi-X is going a long time. I have different issues with it, and I usually go to their forums depending on the issues.
    http://www.navixtreme.com/

Yes it will wipe everything, but that's okay, custom ROM is very easy.
    Hold on, sending PM now, as some details may be grey area.. :rolleyes:

Tired to PM you but your account is full.

Hi Man

Thanks so much for the reply. I just have a couple of questions.

1.I dont have a SD Card, so would it be ok to install it on a USB stick or does it have to be a SD Card.

2.Ive a PVR client i use for Live TV, and it has to use 13.2 to work, so will this ROM , still let my PVR Client work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Navi-X is going a long time. I have different issues with it, and I usually go to their forums depending on the issues.
    http://www.navixtreme.com/

Hi Thanks for posting above info, from that website, i noticed :
    Navi-xtreme makes it easy for you to share your media links with other Navi-X users and gives you a verified list of user media to browse. All media entries are automatically tested daily and any dead links are hidden. This takes the pressure off of you to keep your links current, and makes for better Navi-X surfing since dead media is filtered out.

Is Navi Extreme an addition, to Navi X, the reason I ask is I often get dead links using Navi X

Thx

• Advertisement

Tired to PM you but your account is full.
    Hi Man
    Thanks so much for the reply. I just have a couple of questions.
    1.I dont have a SD Card, so would it be ok to install it on a USB stick or does it have to be a SD Card.
    2.Ive a PVR client i use for Live TV, and it has to use 13.2 to work, so will this ROM , still let my PVR Client work.

I've never tried a USB with this box, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I think an SD card is recommended though.
    If it isn't autodetected from USB, then choose "Install update from EXT" and then "Install from Udisk".

Yes, the ROM comes with a build of XBMC, but you can uninstall that and install 13.2
    k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for posting above info, from that website, i noticed :
    Navi-xtreme makes it easy for you to share your media links with other Navi-X users and gives you a verified list of user media to browse. All media entries are automatically tested daily and any dead links are hidden. This takes the pressure off of you to keep your links current, and makes for better Navi-X surfing since dead media is filtered out.

Is Navi Extreme an addition, to Navi X, the reason I ask is I often get dead links using Navi X

Thx

Navi-Xtreme is a Navi-X Forum for users etc.. The old URL used to be http://www.navi-x.org/
    Have you updated Navi-X from the main menu?

Navi-X -> Main Menu -> Navi-X updates

Restart Navi-X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

BenEadir wrote: »
    The box is legal, it's how you use it that can be illegal a la a sports car. You can use it for driving within the speed limit (legal) but you can also use it to drive at 150km an hour which is illegal.

While I understand your analogy it doesn't really help me understand what is illegal/legal in connection with these devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

While I understand your analogy it doesn't really help me understand what is illegal/legal in connection with these devices.

I think the way it works is that the sites who provide the ability to watch the content may be breaking the law by breaking copyright etc, I don't think you are actually breaking the law by streaming. Downloading on the other hand may be a different matter.

Also much of the content available is stored on third party cloud based services, Here again I don't think the storage service providers are legally complicit in how the service is used.

Personally I'm surprised the Production companies havent succeededin having content re-broadcasters shut down.
    I'm watching a lot of ads on Facebook, adverts, etc, and the amount of android or linux boxes being sold in the last year seems to be pretty high. I'm reminded of the old days of the "dodgy boxes" from 06-08 and the response of UPC.

Sports content from the well known sports channels seems to be a staple, and I cant imagine the big sports channel in the sky not seeing this as a threat to their subscriptions in the way UPC did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I don't think you are actually breaking the law by streaming. Downloading on the other hand may be a different matter.

In this regard, streaming and downloading are exactly the same thing, when you're streaming you're still downloading the file but playing it as you do so and just not saving it to your device's storage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'd say it's safe enough, as long as I don't mind having €19.06 tied up for 3-4 weeks.

Are we safe enough getting our money back from Ali Express if it doesn't arrive? Never used them before...

Blade wrote: »
    Are we safe enough getting our money back from Ali Express if it doesn't arrive? Never used them before...

Yes, they have they have this buyer protection - http://www.aliexpress.com/buyerprotection/index.html
    I've never had a problem getting cash off them if I needed to. I have had more hassle off paypal. If I can help it, I wouldn't use them ever again (paypal). They freeze money and all sorts of nonsense.

I am looking at that ali link though... I don't think I want to leave it up for everyone to try, and if in 3/4 weeks it doesn't arrive... Seems like it may be a bit of a sh*tstorm.

I'll remove the link now.

I'd say that the seller was supposed to cancel the option of free shipping, and as they are new, they didn't know how, or didn't know that they had to. I'm not too optimistic about it, but I have an order in all the same.. :)

Using the boxes to access, stream or download copyrighted material which hasn't been licensed to the source you are connecting to is illegal.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Using the boxes to access, stream or download copyrighted material which hasn't been licensed to the source you are connecting to is illegal.

Isn't streaming a different grey area? There are a quite few examples of streaming in EU courts.
    I don't know the ins and outs, but I remember reading on quite a few different occasions, that as long as the user isn't (wilfully) making a copy of the media, then it's not illegal.

That's not to say it is legal either.

Anyway, probably not the thread for this...

Isn't streaming a different grey area? There are a quite few examples of streaming in EU courts.
    I don't know the ins and outs, but I remember reading on quite a few different occasions, that as long as the user isn't (wilfully) making a copy of the media, then it's not illegal.

That's not to say it is legal either.

Maybe there is some technical reason why streaming differs from downloading and storing, I don't know. I'd be confident it's more a technicality / loop hole than anything else. Either way you (not you specifically Allyall but you know what I mean :p) are deliberately accessing copyrighted content which is being made available without a license from the content owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I agree, best get back on track and leave the 'grey area' talk to another thread. I have gotten (and continue to get) great advice and knowledge from this thread so would be a shame if it ended up getting closed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Question... I've been trying to download iStreamUK to my XBMC... I've been following this tutorial to the letter but at a certain point every time the download seems to fail.

http://youtu.be/BJfOPrBRUs8

It's when I get to the part where I have to go back into 'Cocawe Repo > Services' (aroind 3:52 on the vid)... when I click on Cocawe Repo, the folder is empty... ie, the words 'Add-on repository' and 'Services' as seen here on this screen grab are not there - just the double-dots (..)

15591224145_e1c9bc34b4.jpgXBMC by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance...

PS - I've since successfully DL'd Navi-X... is there any need for iStream now??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Question... I've been trying to download iStreamUK to my XBMC... I've been following this tutorial to the letter but at a certain point every time the download seems to fail.

It's when I get to the part where I have to go back into 'Cocawe Repo > Services' (aroind 3:52 on the vid)... when I click on Cocawe Repo, the folder is empty... ie, the words 'Add-on repository' and 'Services' as seen here on this screen grab are not there - just the double-dots (..)

15591224145_e1c9bc34b4.jpgXBMC by burgomeister08, on Flickr

I can't open that youtube link at the moment but if it is vdubtv then I have seen the same issue in that cocawe's repo is empty even after I do force refresh and check for updates. I just continue on anyway, and it works without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

iba wrote: »
    I can't open that youtube link at the moment but if it is vdubtv then I have seen the same issue in that cocawe's repo is empty even after I do force refresh and check for updates. I just continue on anyway, and it works without it.

Oh... it doesn't seem to for me :( - Maybe I'll try again... thanks iba

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Invincible

Yes, they have they have this buyer protection - http://www.aliexpress.com/buyerprotection/index.html
    I've never had a problem getting cash off them if I needed to. I have had more hassle off paypal. If I can help it, I wouldn't use them ever again (paypal). They freeze money and all sorts of nonsense.

I am looking at that ali link though... I don't think I want to leave it up for everyone to try, and if in 3/4 weeks it doesn't arrive... Seems like it may be a bit of a sh*tstorm.

I'll remove the link now.

I'd say that the seller was supposed to cancel the option of free shipping, and as they are new, they didn't know how, or didn't know that they had to. I'm not too optimistic about it, but I have an order in all the same.. :)

Out of interest, what was the link for that cost €19.06 ?

Any of ye have a MeLE F10 pro?
    Any recommended link for purchase?
    Is it the best airmouse available for android boxes?

Thank's .

Invincible wrote: »
    Out of interest, what was the link for that cost €19.06 ?
    PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

PM sent.

Is this an android box for 19euro?

iba wrote: »
    Is this an android box for 19euro?

So it is.

Invincible wrote: »
    So it is.

€19.03 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

It works. Last week I followed the same youtube link and it worked. The only thing I did skip was the skin part.

I did not change the skin to add iStream on the main screen, instead I have it as a video addon.
    WHIP IT! wrote: »

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement