Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Darren wrote: »
    TNG was my favourite but my favourite Star Trek episode was a DS9 called 'Trials and tribblations', I think!

yes that was an excellent episode. really enjoyed that one particularly as it connected DS9 with TOS episode "the trouble with tribbles". Personally, I'm a TNG fan. First saw it on bbc2 around the spring/summer of 1988 and stayed with it from then until it's (premature) end in 1994.

TNG all the way with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

yes that was an excellent episode. really enjoyed that one particularly as it connected DS9 with TOS episode "the trouble with tribbles". Personally, I'm a TNG fan. First saw it on bbc2 around the spring/summer of 1988 and stayed with it from then until it's (premature) end in 1994.

TNG all the way with me!

I agree with you that it was a premature end but I think it was better that in so far it went out on a high with what was a memorable episode - far far better than Voyagers end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

boris232 wrote: »
    I agree with you that it was a premature end but I think it was better that in so far it went out on a high with what was a memorable episode - far far better than Voyagers end.

very true indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

But that's the whole point. Roddenberry's whole attitude to Trek was that is was an example of humanity at its best, not its worst, and an example of hope of what humans could be, as opposed to cynicism about what they were at their worst. Section 31 goes totally against everything that Roddenberry and Trek stood for, throws it in the gutter, and pisses all over it.

Complete agree! 1000%! Thats why i prefer both TNG and TOS over DS9, although i did eventually grow to really like DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kasumi_Goto

I will be a minority here but always had the softest spot for Voyager. I am also one of the few who really liked Captain Janeway and wasn't annoyed by her. I liked the entire concept although having watched it several times, then having a break and watching from the beginning again I see how my opinions concerning captain's actions change with age. Still, it's my favorite series with TNG as a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

started watching voyager form the beginning.. some awful awful eps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just got to the end of voyager, just watching the last episode now hurrah!

It may be because I've seen it before but watching it again actually became a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I agree that the majority are rubbish for sure... The Scorpion and The Year of Hell are great episodes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Steve_o wrote: »
    I agree that the majority are rubbish for sure... The Scorpion and The Year of Hell are great episodes though!

i also like Night & Drone first two eps of season 6 i think
    there where some good ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Steve_o wrote: »

Year of hell part one. Yes.

Year of hell part two. Terrible.

• Advertisement

• Year of hell part one. Yes.

Year of hell part two. Terrible.

Year of Hell stretched to 7 seasons of antagonism and struggle to survive, while keeping Federation values?? Well that's what Voyager was meant to be no???

Stupid coffee nebula hunting, reset buttoning, cheese monster fighting, Borg neutering, happy family nonsense of a series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭LeBash

I thought Voyager had some great episodes. Where they are crossing the dark space, the borg getting blown to bits by species whatever. Year of hell and a few others. But there was a lot of tripe and Harry Kim is the worst character written in all the series.

DS9 for me. Like the whole politics, the follow on from each episode. I liked Jeffrey Combs characters and Quark was the best written character for me out of all the series. When the Dominion come into DS9 I don't think there was a boring episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

TNG was the best for me in terms of overall themes. Take the episodes "Loud As A Whisper" (2nd season) and "The Loss" (4th Season) which both dealt with the issue of diability.

Likewise, the episode "Ethics" from the 5th season, dealing with the whole extremely thorny issue of euthanisatia. An extremely difficult issue to deal with given the extremely emotive nature of what was being highlighted.
    :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've had a run through of all series again over the last few months.

the DS9 ending just hits me harder than the rest even though TNG was my favourite series.

The character montages are just so well done and there's a real sense of loss with Worf, Sisko, O'brien and Odo all hitting the road

but also how odd is it that after the time travel thing with Jake where he kills himself to save Sisko, that Sisko doesnt appear for him and does for Cassidy.

Also Nog basically goes from Cadet to Lt Junior Grade in a season.. Poor Harry Kim:pac:

A real shame there was no DS9 movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

Also Nog basically goes from Cadet to Lt Junior Grade in a season.. Poor Harry Kim:pac:
    I think he was only a 3rd year cadet when he was commissioned so it's even worse.

I like to think Harry got a couple of back to back promotions after Voyager got back to the Alpha Quadrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm thinking of doing another run through of DS9, it got me thinking and I think I like DS9 not because its my favourite Star Trek series but because its the least like Star Trek of any of the series - does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

Anyone know if there making a new Star Trek film? Would love to see one made with captain picard

doyler55 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there making a new Star Trek film? Would love to see one made with captain picard

Nope, that ship has warped so to speak.

Would have loved a DS9 film myself

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

I love the new films with Captain Kirk but Picard and Janeway ware my favourites would love to see one made with theses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

doyler55 wrote: »
    I love the new films with Captain Kirk but Picard and Janeway ware my favourites would love to see one made with theses

We can only hope. Id say Kate Mulgrew would be happy to do Janeway again and Patrick Stewart is always happy to do Picard even if he is getting on in years.
    TNG need one last film one that gives a good ending and am sure Janeway could be in it too but it more than likely will never happen now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Evade wrote: »
    I think he was only a 3rd year cadet when he was commissioned so it's even worse.

I like to think Harry got a couple of back to back promotions after Voyager got back to the Alpha Quadrant

just finished watching the show again, there was an episode in the final season that attempted to explain that by saying that voyager was a small ship and that they couldn't have so many officers.
    Although that doesn't explain why Tom Paris got demoted to ensign and re-promoted to lieutenant while he's just a helmsman.
    Kim had actual command of voyager regularly on the nightshift. And iirc his only black mark was when he boned that alien without asking the doctor or captain about it first.. :D Janeway was a bit rough on him for that one.
    Funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

just finished watching the show again, there was an episode in the final season that attempted to explain that by saying that voyager was a small ship and that they couldn't have so many officers.
    Although that doesn't explain why Tom Paris got demoted to ensign and re-promoted to lieutenant while he's just a helmsman.
    Kim had actual command of voyager regularly on the nightshift. And iirc his only black mark was when he boned that alien without asking the doctor or captain about it first.. :D Janeway was a bit rough on him for that one.
    Funny though.
    The reason for keeping Harry as an ensign makes sense. Tuvok's promotion was weird too, he was third in line to command Voyager anyway why promote him to lietuenant commander.
    Rank in Star Trek has always been a bit odd, Harry has given orders to lieutenants in Voyager and a chief petty officer in DS9 has lieutenants as subordinates.

Not to mention the drastically different amount of time it takes some people to get promoted. One of Riker's classmates was a captain in the first series of TNG, around 6 years after he and Riker graduated, a command Riker turned down in favour of first officer on the Enterprise IIRC so it's not like he was in another pseudo space navy organisation and put on the fast track. It doesn't seem to be too uncommon because there are others who've made it in a similar amount of time. Compare that to Picard who was still a lieutenant commander in his forties(ish) and Sisko and Janeway must have been close to forty by the time the made captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Would have loved a DS9 film myself

To see how they screwed up TNG on the big screen, I'm hugely relieved DS9 was spared the same treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ando wrote: »
    I'm not much of a trekkie but I do enjoy an episode or two at the weekends, but holy god.... DS9 is leading the poll. Its complete tripe. Voyager was the best

Arse! :P

DS9 was dark, broody, and showed alternate lifestyle choices in the 24th century. I think the characters on DS9 were much more developed than that of TNG or Voyager. Even the extras on DS9 had great backstories or actors playing them.

Morn was far more interesting than commander chakotay

But we all have our own likes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

TNG, always loved it, Picard made the show - such a diplomat.
    I agree it has aged a bit, and the whole - "monster of the week"
    format of the show lets some episodes down.
    I have only watched TOS and TNG tho .. I should give DS9 a shot
    since it's available on NetFlix...

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

TNG for me. The characters are strong. Super-strong. Weak episode? Well, chances are there'll be something to like still. To anyone who says that that era didn't age well, you now have the absolutely glorious 60-FPS HD remasters floating about on YouTube -- the difference is astounding. I never had the opportunity to see too much of DS9 or Voyager given TOS and TNG were always on back when I even gave TV any kind of attention, but from what I have seen, TNG would still win out for me.

Now, back to the absolute tonne of fun compilations:

Let's not forget "Worf gets denied", Dorn himself even commented on it at some of his conventions. Poor Worf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

you should go and watch DS9 Ropedrink (maybe give season one a bit of a miss though) :D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

As said, I've seen enough to know TNG would remain my favourite - but also enough to know the others are good, too. I've liked a lot of characters in mostly all of the shows (even Enterprise), especially the captains (yes, including Janeway), but TNG will not only hold a nostalgic sentiment for me, it is the one I always go to when I want a dose of Trek. Sure I was around when the original series was being shown on TV, but TNG is the image I think of if you say "Think of Trek" - and that's not a negative reflection on the rest as I quite enjoyed all of them, just on different levels than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't see Star Trek: Discovery on this pole. :P

Advertisement