Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

2456713

Comments



  • Here's my opinion:-

    1) TOS / TNG joint first place. TOS - the original, what more is there to say? TNG - excellent developemnt thereof
    3) DS9 good but a bit of a curates egg. "The Visitor" IMHO best ever Trek episode
    4) Voyager. Star trek by the numbers.
    5) Enterprise. So terribly bad it makes Voyager reruns look good.

    I have been watching Star Trek since 1968 (?) or whenever it took over the after-Grandstand slot from Dr Who. I can vividly remember seeing "Where no man has gone before" for the first time. My nine year old mind nearly exploded with excitement and really I still havent gotten over it and I hope I never do.




  • Surprised at people's honesty- I figured that TOS would win out and I'd be the only one voting for DS9. Once Sisco went bald and kick-ass it only got better and the continuous storylines were excellent. Notice the decline in Stargate SG1 since T'elc grew hair? Its just not the same.




  • Deep Space 9 - a very, very easy vote for me. Far ahead of the rest of the franchise, IMHO. Not a huge surprise given I love Babylon 5 and appreciate season-long arcs that DS9 gave me.

    I also prefered the darker tone of DS9 and Sisko was a much tougher SOB than his predecessors especially, as noted, when he went bald and became a bad-ass motherf*cker during the Dominion War et al. There were far more interesting shades of grey in this one - less of the namby pamby goody two shoes of Trek that normally makes me want to vomit. Of course I'm giving a big respect here to Ronald D. Moore who went on to do that other shaded sci-fi show, Battlestar Galactica.

    TOS, while we're here, never did it for me - too camped up and cheap, a product of its time.
    TNG was good but hasn't aged that well. Still a number of classics but too many daft "stuck in the holodeck episodes".
    Voyager, at its best, was merely decent but, at its worst, made me want to smash the TV screen - don't ever mention that Irish village again. I also strongly disliked some of the characters - Neelix in particular - that I couldn't watch it. Had some neat enough time travel stories though and a few decent Borg installments. Just too much excrement in between.
    Enterprise - well I can safely say this is the worst. An unbearably awful captain who seemed to have the comptency of a lobotomised baboon, surrounded by the likes of a red-necked hick and a younger transgendered Spock. Added nothing to the canon but certainly destroyed some of it. Thankfully not going to be gracing our screens for much longer so maybe their creative juices will bring us something different next time...




  • ixoy wrote:
    TOS, <.....> - too camped up and cheap, a product of its time.

    ...

    ...yeah, but aren't we all...?

    Give TOS a chance ;) Other than that very well said.




  • I'll have to go with DS9 aswell, good characters, great storylines and a continuity that isn't really found in the others. It also had the coolest ship in the defiant


  • Advertisement


  • Personally, it's between TNG and DS9. DS9 was cool, it was different to the others, Sisqo wasn't a goody goody type and yes, when he ent bald, he became one kickass bastardo. Loved what they done with the Cardassians and all but those Bajorans annoyed the hell outta me.
    But..TNG was the first Star Trek that I ever saw so it'll always have a place. So in the end TNG takes it.




  • Ok hands up, who voted Enterprise?
    Lest we shall stone thee to death yonder.




  • Always liked Voyager myself, found Enterprise to lack a certain something though, these extended story arcs that smear out across a couple of seasons never really work and only alienate the occasional viewer.
    I call it Babylon 5 syndrome, who can follow it unless you tune in every week?
    We all know trek fans are going to watch but we need Housewives and Football fans, Policewomen and The guy that keeps our streets clean of rubbish to watch it. More universal appeal, less convoluted stories with more characters and scenes than a Shakespearean play! Less Melodrama and more Drama!

    Voyager always seemed to do the extended storyline very well, compressing a good tale into a 2 parter with ease, such as Year of Hell.
    No need to make a season out of it.
    Enterprise will hopefully act in true Darwinian style, an evolutioary dead end for Trek, never to be repeated.

    I tell ya they should have done a Sulu series on the Excelsior, now I would have got up in the middle of the night to watch that!!!!




  • I'm not much of a trekkie but I do enjoy an episode or two at the weekends, but holy god.... DS9 is leading the poll. Its complete tripe. Voyager was the best




  • Thats a tad strong. It did however fall into a grand story cycle that was well nigh inpenetrable to the casual viewer, very hard to keep up with all the changes.
    A little tighter controls on the editorial reins may have gone a long way.
    That said there were some of the best episodes of Trek ever in that show. The one where Jake sees his father being vaporised and then lives out his life with visions of him before a truely clever outcome, well it has yet to be bettered.
    Taken individually all the series have very strong individual episodes but for consistency my money is on Voyager, expanding Trek lore and taking the show back to a ship alone in the Darkness visiting unknown worlds, its the true face of Trek as a whole.
    Well its my opinion for what its worth.


  • Advertisement


  • i like both TNG and DS9...by the way guys have u heard that star trek is now on its numbered episodes??...maybe thats why tv guide magazine will feature the show...ill try to get a copy...




  • Ok has anyone seen the new Episodes of Enterprise from the States? The newer ones that explain the whole headridge-less klingons really explained the whole TOS thing, and I'm glad that the whole thing has finally become canon.... if you can call Enterprise canon that is.

    If you haven't seen it guys and are waiting to see it on Sky in a few months you're in for a treat. I don't normally like Enterprise but these episodes were brilliant.

    On a side note for anyone who has been watching the new Episodes from the states:

    ***Spoiler Warning***
    Has anyone seen the newer ep where Enterprise links up with Columbia at Warp 5.2? I mean come on that was completely non-trek. A ship being able to rotate on it's axis at Warp? A crew member being able to physically travel between the two ships whilst they were both in the same Warp field? What were they on?!




  • Achilles wrote:
    Ok has anyone seen the new Episodes of Enterprise from the States? The newer ones that explain the whole headridge-less klingons really explained the whole TOS thing, and I'm glad that the whole thing has finally become canon.... if you can call Enterprise canon that is.

    If you haven't seen it guys and are waiting to see it on Sky in a few months you're in for a treat. I don't normally like Enterprise but these episodes were brilliant.

    On a side note for anyone who has been watching the new Episodes from the states:

    ***Spoiler Warning***
    Has anyone seen the newer ep where Enterprise links up with Columbia at Warp 5.2? I mean come on that was completely non-trek. A ship being able to rotate on it's axis at Warp? A crew member being able to physically travel between the two ships whilst they were both in the same Warp field? What were they on?!


    let me guess...is it the DIVERGENCE episode??? wherein Dr. Phlox was kidnapped??




  • Yup, divergence, and the followup.




  • TNG is the best, with voyager not too far behind.
    All Good Things:
    Picard finds himself travelling between the past, present, and future while attempting to prevent the destruction of humanity... by his own actions.
    is the best episode.




  • CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Always liked Voyager myself, found Enterprise to lack a certain something though, these extended story arcs that smear out across a couple of seasons never really work and only alienate the occasional viewer.
    I call it Babylon 5 syndrome, who can follow it unless you tune in every week?
    We all know trek fans are going to watch but we need Housewives and Football fans, Policewomen and The guy that keeps our streets clean of rubbish to watch it. More universal appeal, less convoluted stories with more characters and scenes than a Shakespearean play! Less Melodrama and more Drama!

    Voyager always seemed to do the extended storyline very well, compressing a good tale into a 2 parter with ease, such as Year of Hell.
    No need to make a season out of it.
    Enterprise will hopefully act in true Darwinian style, an evolutioary dead end for Trek, never to be repeated.

    I don't see why any show should have to pander to the masses. By pandering to the masses, you produce a far poorer quality product that noone can enjoy. By taking a risk with the market and producing a high quality product, you may very well be surprised and find that people *actually like it*. I loved a quote by Josh Whedon about making TV - "I don't want to make a TV show that 100,000 people will like, I want to make one that 10,000 people will love". It turned out that a lot of people loved Buffy & Angel. Only a few people loved Firefly (I don't think it was ever the show's fault, just network promotion) but c'est la vie. 2 huge successes out of 3 isn't a bad score. And Firefly is a great show despite its ratings failure.

    Fair enough, Babylon 5 did take the convoluted storyline arc to extremes. If I hadn't the chance to watch all the episodes in consecutive uninterrupted order on DVD, I probably wouldn't have liked the show. Even then, I didn't like it until Season 4. I never got into DS9 because of the story's impenetrabilty to the casual viewer unfortunately, but I don't begrudge the creators for sticking to their guns and producing something of high quality.

    I did like Voyager at times, but looking back on it, I realise I only kept watching in the vain hope that they'd do something good with the stranded away from home story. They had some very nice 2-parters but a lot of it was very bad filler. The final episode of Voyager was a huge let down. I don't particularly mind how they ended it, more of when they ended it. A shot of Voyager facing Earth and that was all we had after 7 years. No elaboration on the Maquis crewmembers' fate, no reunions with family, nothing.

    DS9 despite its impenetrability survived a 7-year run, something to be proud of in this day and age with shows being cancelled left, right and centre. I think that is down to Trek being recognised as a quality brand name, people will tune in because its Star Trek. Voyager would never have survived if it didn't have the Trek moniker. In the end it's no doubt that Enterprise killed it. For a show to start out with 13 million viewers and lose all but <2million of them is disgraceful.




  • Achilles wrote:
    Yup, divergence, and the followup.

    oh i see....i've seen that one and its really good...the next episode will be "Bound"...wherein Captain Archer receives three Orion Slave Girls as a gift for negotiating with the Orion Syndicate...i cant wait to see that episode :D..its just sad to say that it will end so soon...do u know any magazine or materials which will feature the season finale????




  • No idea. I have to tell you tho that I'm not a big fan of Enterprise, I was wary of it when I saw the pilot and then as it progressed I just lost interest as it fecked with trek canon and the like wayyy too much. For some reason It's just never felt like Star Trek to me. The only eps now that I'm looking forward to are 'In A Mirror, Darkly' Parts 1 and 2, which are set about 10 or so years after the events in Enterprise but in the mirror universe, and we get to see them all in TOS uniforms and on constitution class Starships. I can't wait to see the constitutions in Enterprise but I have a feeling they're going to make some bland 'cross between' of the NX-01 and the Constitution class of TOS's era.




  • Achilles wrote:
    No idea. I have to tell you tho that I'm not a big fan of Enterprise, I was wary of it when I saw the pilot and then as it progressed I just lost interest as it fecked with trek canon and the like wayyy too much. For some reason It's just never felt like Star Trek to me. The only eps now that I'm looking forward to are 'In A Mirror, Darkly' Parts 1 and 2, which are set about 10 or so years after the events in Enterprise but in the mirror universe, and we get to see them all in TOS uniforms and on constitution class Starships. I can't wait to see the constitutions in Enterprise but I have a feeling they're going to make some bland 'cross between' of the NX-01 and the Constitution class of TOS's era.

    well its ok achilles...i've already seen tv guide magazine, they will feature the season finale of the show and will pay tribute...cant wait to get one :D




  • i voted the next generation

    voyager would be second

    deep space nine third


  • Advertisement


  • mssmudd wrote:
    well its ok achilles...i've already seen tv guide magazine, they will feature the season finale of the show and will pay tribute...cant wait to get one :D
    So you haven't actually seen the episodes then no?




  • Achilles wrote:
    So you haven't actually seen the episodes then no?

    i've seen some of their episodes..and right now looking forward to the next episode...the one that they are going to feature on tv guide will be the season finale.




  • I loved tng,

    Especially Data which has to be my favorite character....

    I'd wished they'd bring out another series with him in it.

    I'd love to see him in combat more




  • Terra wrote:
    I loved tng,

    Especially Data which has to be my favorite character....

    I'd wished they'd bring out another series with him in it.

    I'd love to see him in combat more

    That's all well and good except.... he's... erm....
    Dead




  • ive got this copy :D




  • Had to be DS9.

    I think if Enterprised had come on before Voyager I would have watched it a bit more, but fact of the matter is I don't think I've seen more than a few episodes of it.

    Voyager was a mediocre show at best. It did have some good episodes, but I disliked a lot of the characters, including 7 of 9 (she reminded me too much of the spock / data type).

    Best female Ez Dax




  • feel free to rate all my tv guide copies featuring star trek.. :D




  • TNG = 44
    DS9 = 44

    This is very close....




  • ds9 takes the lead :D:D:D


  • Advertisement


  • Nooooooooooo, go on tng....


Advertisement