Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you proud to be Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

HIB wrote: »
    I've never really understood what people mean when they say they're proud to be Irish/English/Kazakhstani...
    For me, Irish is just something that I am. I was born it. Its not something I achieved.
    Do I think the Irish are a "grand bunch of lads"? Yes and no. No more so than other nationalities really. The Irish as a group are people I find easy to talk to though .... I reckon that's down to shared experiences though. If I was French, I'd probably enjoy the company of French people more.
    As for sporting figures etc., yeah I've cheered on Irish teams, and athletes etc. But taking sides is a necessary part of sport. You won't enjoy it as much if you don't. For the same reason, I'd cheer on county and parochial teams... Not out of some deep rooted "ballygobackwards till I die" ethos, but because its just the best way to watch sport.

Out of curiosity...just googled the definition of pride.

" a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired."

Hard to see how a nationalistic sense of pride falls under this definition really.

Voting "no" here, but as someone else suggested, would feel more comfortable with a "neither" option.

Hi Sheldon....:pac:

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,353 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Packrat wrote: »
    Dublin is barely Irish tbh.

OK interesting comment.
    1) You do not seem to have an Irish sense of humour
    2) Unusually I can my ancestry back approximately 500 years. There was not even an Anglo-Norman among us!
    but this one shows the truth of my assertion that ye are barely irish.

4) When you say the above what makes a person Irish does it relate to racial terms or other factors or both in your esteemed view?

5) I notice you chose the username PackRat?
    Does this mean that you more closely align yourself to Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Peter Lawford?

Maith an buachaill.
    :cool:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i'm proud to be irish.

i'm ashamed at the way the coun try is run though.

HIB wrote: »
    the achievements of those with whom one is closely associatedi

As you said above people associate the achievements and culture of an area because they were brought up in. Also every person living in Ireland contributes to its achievements just by living here. Creating a culture.
    Whether they are proud of that culture is up to them.

OK interesting comment.
    1) You do not seem to have an Irish sense of humour
    2) Unusually I can my ancestry back approximately 500 years. There was not even an Anglo-Norman among us!

4) When you say the above what makes a person Irish does it relate to racial terms or other factors or both in your esteemed view?

5) I notice you chose the username PackRat?
    Does this mean that you more closely align yourself to Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Peter Lawford?

Maith an buachaill.
    :cool:

Ans 1 Actually, I have, but not when it comes to some of the self hating BS on this thread.

Ans 2 Great, were they all Dubs, or perhaps from other parts outside the pale?
    Mine goes back to "An Ui Neill" of Tir Eoghan. We led the Irish at Kinsale.

Ans 3 You deleted that one cos it made no sense obviously.

Ans 4 Being born here afaik is the legal status. my opinion is irrelevant, but I'd actually agree with that.

Ans 5 ;-) Nothing at all to do with the Rat Pack, more to do with the habits of this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I'm proud.

I love the reaction that I have received from people when I've been in other countries. In particular when I was in Sweden and Germany. Also, when I was in Canada and USA. They loved my laidbackness, my accent, my attitude etc.
    Women warmed to it ;0)

That said, it really agitates me when numb-nutted professional footballers like Clinton Morrisson and Jack Grealish take time out to consider whether to declare for England or Ireland. That's when the FAI should instruct them to shove it up their back passages.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dublin is barely Irish tbh.

Idiotic statement.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Idiotic statement.

Viking settlement,

Early Medieval Walled Norman town.

Middle ages: English settler City.

Early 20th century - out with their Union Jacks.

These days, its inhabitants are indistinguishable from those of any English city, except that perhaps they hate Irish culture a little more.

It is about as Irish as London or Birmingham tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I'm proud.

I love the reaction that I have received from people when I've been in other countries. In particular when I was in Sweden and Germany. Also, when I was in Canada and USA. They loved my laidbackness, my accent, my attitude etc.
    Women warmed to it ;0)

That said, it really agitates me when numb-nutted professional footballers like Clinton Morrisson and Jack Grealish take time out to consider whether to declare for England or Ireland. That's when the FAI should instruct them to shove it up their back passages.

When it comes to football the granny rule should be canned altogether. You're eligible for the country you're born and raised in and that's it.

It only makes us look like a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

When it comes to football the granny rule should be canned altogether. You're eligible for the country you're born and raised in and that's it.

It only makes us look like a joke.

The RoI team would be made up of a load of LoI players then. Half the first team would be gone.

- McGeady (Scotland)
    - McCarthy (Scotland)
    - McClean (N.I., no loss cos he is a wally)
    - Wilson (NI)
    - Gibson (NI)
    - Walters (England, top lad though)

On the OT, some things make me proud, some things not so proud. I feel more of an attachment when I live abroad to be honest. Political matters here put me at my lowest ebb. All the whinging and begrudgery really annoys me.

PS: I have nothing against the LoI and I attend games regularly. Will be at a game tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Yeah I am proud to be Irish but not in any mad way. I mean honestly pride in nationality is a bit of a silly concept really anyway but I am not above being silly. I'm proud but also ashamed for differing reasons.

Ans 2 Great, were they all Dubs, or perhaps from other parts outside the pale?
    Mine goes back to "An Ui Neill" of Tir Eoghan. We led the Irish at Kinsale.

In Connacht actually.
    Ans 3 You deleted that one cos it made no sense obviously.

I was saving it. isn't it any wonder that the flight of the earls when you are continuing the divisive attitudes of your ancestors?

It's basically your ancestors fault that the "Ulster Fry" exists on the top right corner of the plate :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/theulsterfry_92143 :eek:

Berserker wrote: »
    The RoI team would be made up of a load of LoI players then. Half the first team would be gone.

- McGeady (Scotland)
    - McCarthy (Scotland)
    - McClean (N.I., no loss cos he is a wally)
    - Wilson (NI)
    - Gibson (NI)
    - Walters (England, top lad though)

On the OT, some things make me proud, some things not so proud. I feel more of an attachment when I live abroad to be honest. Political matters here put me at my lowest ebb. All the whinging and begrudgery really annoys me.

PS: I have nothing against the LoI and I attend games regularly. Will be at a game tonight.

There are very few Granny rule players compared to years ago with Charlton. Most of the lads you mentioned are just sloggers or inconsistent players.

To get back on topic I can't be proud of the Irish soccer team they seem fairly clueless, and dare I say it disinterested except Robbie Keane.
    Still proud to be Irish despite the fact I just happened to be born on this lump of rock. I often thought if I was born in England would I be proud of England? Makes me uncomfortable to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Hi Sheldon....:pac:

LOL:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

On the whole yes, I think a smaller country can change more quickly and Ireland has shown that in some aspects, we're still very behind even our closest neighbours in other aspects though.

I'm not as proud as one of my american friends for sure who visits Ireland frequently and posts updates like "feels like home" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I'm not as proud as one of my american friends for sure who visits Ireland frequently and posts updates like "feels like home" :o

Yes visiting America and getting the whole "I'm Irish" thing gets on my wick. Michelle Obama and her "good to be home" talk was toe curling. At times like that I am glad that I am British too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Im more proud of being from Dublin then being from Ireland.

I guess i have my moments the country has its good and bad points ive never been one of these in your face paddys though.

Im proud of being me!! :D

Even though I'm happy with how I was reared in County Tipp, I Wish I grew up in Dublin. Never felt I quite fitted in in the parochial town I hail from originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Berserker wrote: »
    Yes visiting America and getting the whole "I'm Irish" thing gets on my wick. Michelle Obama and her "good to be home" talk was toe curling. At times like that I am glad that I am British too.

she's too ashamed to be american, she wants to be irish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I am disappointed how we screw eachother over so easily. Nasty trait to have in a people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Proud of the good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

oldyouth wrote: »
    I am disappointed how we screw eachother over so easily. Nasty trait to have in a people

Its more a human trait rather than an irish one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think it's silly to take pride in anything that you weren't responsible for/can't control.

Where you were born/what nationality/skin colour/gender/height/eye colour

You had NOTHING* to do with any of it.

*Except in extreme cases. Yes, you can change your nationality, skin colour/gender and height - but most people don't.*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I'm proud of our history, our language, our scenery and a lot of great people that have come from this country. I'm not proud of the selfish attitudes a sizeable number of people in this country now have.

UCDVet wrote: »
    I think it's silly to take pride in anything that you weren't responsible for/can't control.

Where you were born/what nationality/skin colour/gender/height/eye colour

You had NOTHING* to do with any of it.

*Except in extreme cases. Yes, you can change your nationality, skin colour/gender and height - but most people don't.*

As an immigrant, I think it's arrogant and ignorant of you to try to tell Irish people on an Irish bulletin site how to feel about our country.

Would you say that to an American if their country took you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

We're proud of children, partners, family members, close friends, community at times - but wait, we had nothing to do with it yadda yadda.

The type of pride people are talking about in this context is more of an affinity thing than an achievement thing.
    When it becomes hardline patriotism/nationalism it gets ugly (the worst manifestations of this possible have occurred in recent history and are still occurring) but a simple warm feeling about where you belong... silly to condemn this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

As an immigrant, I think it's arrogant and ignorant of you to try to tell Irish people on an Irish bulletin site how to feel about our country.

Would you say that to an American if their country took you in?

I'm not telling people how to feel. I'm certainly not telling *Irish* people how to feel. I'm expressing an opinion, that it is silly to take pride in something you haven't achieved.

It doesn't matter if it's an American or a German or an Irishman....if you have some 'status' that required no action on your part, I think it is silly to take pride in it.

Everyone is born somewhere. It's not something to be proud of. If I were born in Ireland, I would be Irish (speaking in terms of nationality). I wouldn't be proud of that, because I didn't achieve it. If an immigrant comes to Ireland legally, works within the system, qualifies for naturalization and becomes an Irish citizen - okay - sure, be proud of that. That's something that they achieved, after years of effort.

But just being born Irish/French/German/American/etc,etc,etc....I don't see how someone can take pride in that.

(this is from Google)
    define: pride
    a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

We're proud of children, partners, family members, close friends, community at times - but wait, we had nothing to do with it yadda yadda.

The type of pride people are talking about in this context is more of an affinity thing than an achievement thing.
    When it becomes hardline patriotism/nationalism it gets ugly (the worst manifestations of this possible have occurred in recent history and are still occurring) but a simple warm feeling about where you belong... silly to condemn this.

I feel proud of the amazing things that Ireland and Irish people have done throughout history. Actually I think that this "im not proud to be Irish" mentality comes from a lack of knowledge of just what your forefathers have actually achieved.

Some examples: The biggest one is the most basic; survival. The population of this island or parts of it has been halved, quartered even, time and time again by wars not of our making, by famine, starvation and disease, the most recent and best known being "the great hunger" of 1845 -49. This was only the last of many such depopulations. Yet, we survived.
    If your ancestry is Irish, someone related to you lived through the famine, the Williamite wars, the Elizabethan wars, The Desmond rebellion, when more than half the population of Munster died over 5 years.

Is that hardline patriotism? Is it ugly? Is it destructive to know your history?

I beg to differ.

Half the English speaking world today would like to be Irish in some way, they find something to admire in us and our beautiful country. It wasn't always thus. We were regarded as white ****ers (their words, not mine) for long enough.

Is it too much to ask that we hold our own heads up when for the first time in history we are admired and regarded as equals to any nation in the world?

Some people posting here deserve to be slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Used to know these three brothers who drank in an Irish pub in London, they were so absurdly proud and in-your-face about being Irish it was ridiculous. Constantly bragging about where they came from, putting their accents up to 11 spinal tap style, telling everyone about what they got up to 'back home' ( most of which was bullsh!t ) and talking down to the second-generation Irish who drank there as if Ireland was some foreign, exotic clime they'd never visited.

It's not as if they had to cross continents and learn another language to end up living where they did, if money was no object you could have your breakfast in Dublin, your lunch in London and be back in Dublin for your dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Being proud of something that you had zero influence over is the dumbest thing ever

Advertisement