Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you proud to be Irish?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Poll added.

Are you proud to be Irish? Why / Why not?

Are you proud to be Irish? 284 votes

Yes I am.
    0% 0 votes
    No I'm not.
    76% 218 votes
    I'm not Irish so question doesn't apply to me.
    23% 66 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

A bit when it comes to certain situations, but mostly it's not something that I feel proud of - I just am. Certainly not ashamed of it either though.

Could you add an on-the-fence type poll option?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im more proud of being from Dublin then being from Ireland.

I guess i have my moments the country has its good and bad points ive never been one of these in your face paddys though.

Im proud of being me!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Could you add 'this is going to end in tears" to the poll please....think it'll get a lot of votes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

To be sure, to be sure I am.

Mostly

Except when I listen to shinners et al. Then I'm embarrassed.

But mostly proud.

I guess i have my moments the country has its good and bad points ive never been one of these in your face paddys though.

A Dub who thinks he's special.....Jesus, you're unusual! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was just born here by chance. Didn't have any say in it so no real reason to be proud of it. It's not an achievement. I've been proud of Irish men and women though like Katie Taylor, the soccer teams in 1990 and 1994 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Omackeral wrote: »
    I was just born here by chance. Didn't have any say in it so no real reason to be proud of it. It's not an achievement. I've been proud of Irish men and women though like Katie Taylor, the soccer teams in 1990 and 1994 etc.

If you can feel pride in Irish people then you are halfway there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

100% proud so far.

Patriotic fcukers the lot of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Anyone that is not proud of their country needs their head examined.

A Dub who thinks he's special.....Jesus, you're unusual! ;)

Oh when i start going on about how great i am you will know! :p

Until then chillax there ya big muck savage ya! :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh when i start going on about how great i am you will know! :p

Until then chillax there ya big muck savage ya! :pac:

I'm a Brit ;)

I'm a Brit ;)

Jaysus thats even worse !! Get out of our thread !!! :p

I think it's silly for a person to be ashamed of their country but not feeling pride of one's country all the time isn't that unreasonable.
    Other than times when affinity with where we're from is amplified (that's when pride would kick in for me) I don't know what there is to be proud of.

I think it's silly for a person to be ashamed of their country but not feeling pride of one's country all the time isn't that unreasonable.
    Other than times when affinity with where we're from is amplified (that's when pride would kick in for me) I don't know what there is to be proud of.

Exactly its not a crime the way some go on at times.

When i go abroad in most cases im proud to say im Irish but on an every day basis i dont even think about it really and i dont feel i need to.

I think debacles like the Magdalene laundrys would make some people feel ashamed, rightly so in my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Not sure how to answer this one.

If you were to ask me "are you proud of this country and what Irish people have achieved throughout history", I would definitely say yes.

To say that I am proud to be Irish, IMO, implies that I had to achieve Irishness. I didn't. I was born into it.

Doesn't mean I'm not patriotic, far from it. I just don't think you can really be proud of something that you became automatically at birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I wouldn't say I'm proud of it but I'm not ashamed of it either. I am just Irish. Nothing really special in being one nationality or another.

I think debacles like the Magdalene laundrys would make some feel ashamed, rightly so in my opinion..

Why would i be ashamed because of that? It had nothing to do with me or most people around me just because where Irish as well. Thats like saying im ashamed to be human because theres so many evil ones out there!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Omackeral wrote: »

Exactly.

Why...because of a fluke of birth? Wise up.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Why would i be ashamed because of that? It had nothing to do with me or most people around me just because where Irish as well. Thats like saying im ashamed to be human because theres so many evil ones out there!.
    Yep. Wasn't even born. People should only feel ashamed of what they're responsible for, not what happened in the country they happened to be born into.

• Advertisement

Were not talking about personal shame, the post I replied to stated ashamed of your country.....and for the way that our country in general treated these girls, yes, I believe it fits the criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yep. Wasn't even born. People should only feel ashamed of what they're responsible for, not what happened in the country they happened to be born into.

Yep. People should only feel proud of things they have achieved, not what country they happened to be born into.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

west brit alert:)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yep. People should only feel proud of things they have achieved, not what country they happened to be born into.
    Wondering why that post was aimed at me as I never said people should feel pride in their nationality, but maybe you just randomly picked my post.

What people view as "pride" in their country though isn't always the same as pride in the achievement sense, just a feeling of affinity with where they're from when something happens to stir that in them - e.g. like feeling an affinity with your community/family.

Were not talking about personal shame, the post I replied to stated ashamed of your country.....and for the way that our country in general treated these girls, yes, I believe it fits the criteria

The people who done that dont represent Ireland they represent them selves. They have nothing to do with the rest of the Irish population and we should have no reason to be ashamed of our country because of them.

guest2014 wrote: »
    west brit alert:)

Say what now?

Wondering why that post was aimed at me as I never said people should feel pride in their nationality, but maybe you just randomly picked my post.

What people view as "pride" in their country though isn't always the same as pride in the achievement sense, just a feeling of affinity with where they're from when something happens to stir that in them - e.g. like feeling an affinity with your community/family.

Poster never mentioned nationality though

The people who done that dont represent Ireland they represent them selves. They have nothing to do with the rest of the Irish population and we should have no reason to be ashamed of our country because of them.

They did at the time, and to fail to recognize that fact means you deny it

It was a choice they made it wasnt a choice the Irish public made. They didnt represent the country as a whole they where dealing with it as an organization.

The Irish people have no reason to be ashamed of there country because of what the church did because to be honest that has nothing to do with anyone but them its on there heads and it happened in a time when they had some sort of control which they have very little of now.

• Advertisement

Some people believe in personal responsibility, not collective responsibility - there's no denial.
    It's dangerous to blame people for other people's actions.

So you think pride in your country doesn't make sense but shame does? But both are based on the same principle.

Advertisement