Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you proud to be Irish?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Being Irish isn't an achievement. Being of any nationality isn't an achievement. It's just something you had no control over. As such, I don't see a reason to be proud of it but I also don't see a reason to be ashamed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Peist2007 wrote: »
    The world is divided into countries, not hospital catchment areas, so i dont see your logic there

How magnified does parochialism get before the abstract 'Pride' becomes silly?

If someone is proud to be born in a village, is it any better than being proud of being born in hospital?

Be proud of your footprint in this world, your works & your legacy.

Pride in the randomness of your birthplace seems pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I like being Irish, but I'm not proud of being Irish, it's not an accomplishment.

Are you proud of having brown hair? Proud of being right-handed? Proud of having a seat on the left side of the room in maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

smash wrote: »
    Being Irish isn't an achievement. Being of any nationality isn't an achievement. It's just something you had no control over. As such, I don't see a reason to be proud of it but I also don't see a reason to be ashamed of it.

You see I accept that point, and as I said in my original contribution to this thread it is silly but I guess I just get wrapped up in it a little bit.

Perhaps the word pride/proud is just not approrpriate. To my mind its like when people say 'to take a bit of pride in your area' they don't mean be 'proud' in the sense of YAY I was born here and therefor must believe this place is the best ever, they mean look after your area, work towards its betterment and enjoy the collective sense of whatever achievements you can come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't understand being proud of where your from, you have no say in it

I think you should be proud of achievements not something you had no say in what so ever ,

I’m Irish , I’m not proud to say it or at the same time embarrassed of it, its something i had no say in it at all,

There's upsides and downside of living everywhere,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm proud to be 6'2", with a genetic predisposition to glaucoma.

I don't understand being proud of where your from, you have no say in it

I think you should be proud of achievements not something you had no say in what so ever ,

I’m Irish , I’m not proud to say it or at the same time embarrassed of it, its something i had no say in it at all,

There's upsides and downside of living everywhere,

Again...

are you proud of your parents or any of their achievements? Or are you just too enlightened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Im more proud of being from Dublin then being from Ireland.

I guess i have my moments the country has its good and bad points ive never been one of these in your face paddys though.

I am not sure I am proud of Dublin. I was as a child and I loved the school tours there but it has got a lot dirtier and rougher than I remember.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm proud to be 6'2", with a genetic predisposition to glaucoma.

I'm proud of my abilities as a lover, which few have gone so far as to deem "adequate".

But of being Irish?
    No, don't see the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Being Irish is deadly, we have a great reputation in many countries. Everyone should be proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'm not proud to be Irish, nor am I unhappy to be Irish. I simply AM Irish, and since I had no hand in where I was born, I don't believe it's anything I have any right to be proud about

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Im 100% proud to be Irish? We are the best simple as ;)

I'm proud of what this country has done and is doing. We fought off the lads with guns with hurlies I mean come on? How many countries can give out social welfare to any poor auld beggar. I mean I know we give out about various taxes etc etc. and maybe we have right to? But the country has done a lot for us. Just remember it could always be worse. We as a society have a lot to be grateful for and we take it all for granted. Put yourselves in someone elses shoes for once ;)

Again...

are you proud of your parents or any of their achievements? Or are you just too enlightened?

I'm proud of my parents.
    I'm neither proud or ashamed of the random location they were born in...... after all, its random.

I'm proud of my parents.
    I'm neither proud or ashamed of the random location they were born in...... after all, its random.

You had no influence on either. Logic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

He is, however, made up from a mix of their genetic material. I reckon that probably gives him enough leeway to be proud of them

I don't have to have an influence to feel pride?

They are proud of my achievements, despite no direct involvement.

Neither have any relevance to the random spot of soil we were born on.

COYVB wrote: »
    He is, however, made up from a mix of their genetic material. I reckon that probably gives him enough leeway to be proud of them

And we are (mostly) all the result of the genetic mix of the relatively closed gene pool of individuals who have made up the population of this island over the past several thousand years... so...

Ultimately I agree the notion of being proud is not appropriate but I think its a matter of finding a better way of expressing the sensation rather than simply writing it off altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You see I accept that point, and as I said in my original contribution to this thread it is silly but I guess I just get wrapped up in it a little bit.

Perhaps the word pride/proud is just not approrpriate. To my mind its like when people say 'to take a bit of pride in your area' they don't mean be 'proud' in the sense of YAY I was born here and therefor must believe this place is the best ever, they mean look after your area, work towards its betterment and enjoy the collective sense of whatever achievements you can come by.

But that's completely different. If that's the angle you're coming from then the question should be "do you take pride in Ireland as a country" which has nothing to do with nationality, it's to do with not wanting to live in a shíthole area or society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

How magnified does parochialism get before the abstract 'Pride' becomes silly?

If someone is proud to be born in a village, is it any better than being proud of being born in hospital?

Be proud of your footprint in this world, your works & your legacy.

Pride in the randomness of your birthplace seems pointless.

Question is whether you are proud to be Irish. Are you? If not, then you're not.

Also, biology and genetics should tell you your birthplace was not random. You have (probably) Irish parents. You were always going to be irish. Taking pride in the place where your anccestors hailed from etc and enjoying the buzz when a sports team from your place of origin, for example, wins at something, is a natural feeling from a social animal like ourselves.

Taking a sense of pride in where you come is a trait shared worldwide. Therefore, it exists. Whether or not you are way too cool for it is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am not irish, but I live in Ireland for 10 years now. When someone asks me where I am from, I always answer like this: " I was originally Lithuania, but I feel more Irish then I ever was Lithuanian".

I cannot legally say that I am proud to be irish, but I love being "sort of irish", even if it pisses off some people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I am not irish, but I live in Ireland for 10 years now. When someone asks me where I am from, I always answer like this: " I was originally Lithuania, but I feel more Irish then I ever was Lithuanian".

I cannot legally say that I am proud to be irish, but I love being "sort of irish", even if it pisses off some people.

Well begorrah, a Lithuanian in Cork. That hybrid accent is something that I can't imagine.

smash wrote: »
    But that's completely different. If that's the angle you're coming from then the question should be "do you take pride in Ireland as a country" which has nothing to do with nationality, it's to do with not wanting to live in a shíthole area or society.

I don't think it is entirely different. If you are to take 'pride' in something then you become proud of it.

Advertisement