Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you proud to be Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Being proud of something that you had zero influence over is the dumbest thing ever
    Yeh those people who are proud of e.g. siblings doing something really great. Dumb I tells ya.

I used to insist on all that "How can I be proud of just being born here" herpiderpy thing constantly but realise now I wasn't thinking things through.

Why do people support their national or local sports team so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

How is being proud of where you were born any different than being proud of what race you were born?

You had no input into either of these things but one of them is considered positive whilst the other is seen as a very bad thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

How is being proud of where you were born any different than being proud of what race you were born?

You had no input into either of these things but one of them is considered positive whilst the other is seen as a very bad thing
    But the pride isn't about a sense of achievement, it's about an affinity. Same with being proud of a family member doing something really great.
    Pride in race, yeh, it's only seen as a negative from white people - I guess because of the negative connotations with the phrase "white pride".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

But the pride isn't about a sense of achievement, it's about an affinity. Same with being proud of a family member doing something really great.
    Pride in race, yeh, it's only seen as a negative from white people - I guess because of the negative connotations with the phrase "white pride".

By the same token couldn't one have affinity for the Caucasian race and be proud of them doing something really great?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

White power. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Laois6556 wrote: »
    White power. :D

Hot shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I don't have a nationality (or at least I don't consider myself to have a nationality) so I have nothing to be patriotic about. Its a foreign concept to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I picked "No I'm not" because my ideal response wasn't there and it came closest to my feelings. I'm nothing to be Irish. Not proud, not NOT proud, I just am Irish, that's it. I love aspects of the country and culture, dislike others. It's grand. I'd be the same no matter what country I was from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I didn't choose to be born in a certain country, so don't see why I would be proud of something I didn't choose but just happened to be born as (Irish). There can be certain aspects of this country, like certain traditions, I feel proud to be able to take part in at times but other than that it doesn't really add anything to my life that any other first world country couldn't, some of which would even have better facilities etc.

"Ah, sure we're a great little ould country anyway, punching above our weight"

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

We're proud of children, partners, family members, close friends, community at times - but wait, we had nothing to do with it yadda yadda.

The type of pride people are talking about in this context is more of an affinity thing than an achievement thing.
    When it becomes hardline patriotism/nationalism it gets ugly (the worst manifestations of this possible have occurred in recent history and are still occurring) but a simple warm feeling about where you belong... silly to condemn this.

But then "pride" is the wrong word, isn't it ?
    Maybe the question should be "do you generally like ireland?"
    That I could answer yes to. Pride, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

As a rule I only find pride or shame in things that I've directly contributed to or achieved. Now being born and growing up within a particular political jurisdiction is not one of those things so no, I don't feel any particular pride or shame in being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The question should probably be, "Are you glad you are Irish/from Ireland/Live in Ireland?"

Why Yes. yes I am. We have our problems, we often don't make things easy for ourselves but on the whole in the grand scheme of things we've done alright for ourselves and are lucky that we call this place home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm glad to be Irish but obviously there are things that I find embarrassing and shameful - the bank scandals, the Garth Brooks saga, the state of our Health system, our overcrowded classrooms with diminishing resources, but I am glad to be Irish, and even more so, glad to be from the West of Ireland! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It's part of who I am, I am neither ashamed or nor proud of being Irish.

You might as well ask me am I proud of being white or having green eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Poll added.

Are you proud to be Irish? Why / Why not?

Very proud to be Irish.

Not very proud of our gombeen political class, the reputation as a tax haven they've portrayed around the world, the roll over and beg reputation they've given us, and everything else that goes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

Proud'

We're deadly craic like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rums

Whether I am proud to be Irish or not changes on a day by day basis, most days I am then I see or hear something nasty and lose faith.

Also Fr.Ned I wouldn't focus to much on the reputation as a tax heaven thing, the EU has no competency when it comes to setting corporation tax... any other EU member who is bitching about Irish corporation tax could lower their corporation tax if they wanted to, nothing stopping them but greed.
    Ireland is very dependent on our low corporation tax to draw in foreign investment and a country with 1/3 the population of London needs things that will attract foreign investment, our European neighbours want to have their cake and eat it, they want to keep their High corporation taxes so they make more money from it and they want us to be forced to put ours up so they will get more foreign investment as well.

I would be angry about many things Irish politicians have done but one of the few things I would be proud of them for is keeping our corporation tax low even though are greedy neighbours are bitching about it 24/7, also keep in mind even though the corporation tax is low the country still makes cash off taxing the employees of these companies many of whom would be in the upper tax brackets and these companies naturally have a knock on effect in the areas they set up and help with the growth of other industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Im more proud of being from Dublin then being from Ireland.

I guess i have my moments the country has its good and bad points ive never been one of these in your face paddys though.

Im proud of being me!! :D

Why specifically are you proud of being a Dub? What has Dublin accomplished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Seems totally irrational to be proud of your nationality, not like I chose it. Can feel proud of my own personal achievements. Can feels a sense of pride when a friend or family member achieves something ,important of them. Pet peeve is someone you barely know like a classmate you rarely talk to, telling you, they are proud of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Anyone that is not proud of their country needs their head examined.

Anyone that IS proud of their country needs their head examined.

I didn't choose to be Irish, so why would I be proud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Pride is for idiots mostly. Being Irish is something I'm neither proud nor ashamed of, I just am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

MadYaker wrote: »
    Pride is for idiots mostly. Being Irish is something I'm neither proud nor ashamed of, I just am.

So, if the Irish Rugby team win a grand slam or Katie Taylor wins a gold medal,we shouldn't be proud that she or they are doing it for their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Of course I'm proud to be Irish. I wouldn't trade my Irishness for anything. I don't get people who say they aren't proud to be Irish due to the actions of other Irish people or politicians. They aren't Ireland, they may also be born here but they aren't Ireland. People seem to confuse the two.

If I could become the most gifted footballer or sportsperson in the world in exchange for my Irishness I wouldn't take it. If I was offered fame, celebrity and never ending wealth in exchange for my Irishness I wouldn't take it. If I was offered perfect health until I was 100 in exchange for my Irishness I wouldn't take it. If the love of my life wanted us to leave Ireland for good, she can go and get a divorce as far as I'm concerned. As extreme as it may sound, I would rather die/not exist, than not be Irish. I love Ireland, and all of it's 32 counties, more than anything.

I don't identify as being from Meath or Leinster, nor being European. I'm Irish and Irish only

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    So, if the Irish Rugby team win a grand slam or Katie Taylor wins a gold medal,we shouldn't be proud that she or they are doing it for their country?

They aren't doing it for their country. They are doing it for themselves and for glory and for their team mates and their family. Ask anyone on the Irish rugby team what motivates them and if they answer truthfully very few would say pride in their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Drakares wrote: »
    Why specifically are you proud of being a Dub? What has Dublin accomplished?

4th best gaa team in the land !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

MadYaker wrote: »

You are so cool & grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I guess I'm pretty indifferent about it. I do think we have a beautiful country and a lot of great people have came out of it, but that doesn't really make me feel proud considering I could have been born into any other country in the world. I definitely think it's odd when people say they are ashamed to be Irish whenever some random Irish person does something immoral, as if they are responsible for it just by being the same nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Mahogany wrote: »
    Anyone that IS proud of their country needs their head examined.

I didn't choose to be Irish, so why would I be proud?

You didn't choose your parents do you think people who are proud of their parents need their head examined?

You didn't choose your siblings...

and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I was born in Holles St hospital.

It wasn't my choice, but I am fiercely proud of that.

Anyone not proud of the hospital....nay, ward they were born in needs their head examined.

Glory to ward 7!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I was born in Holles St hospital.

It wasn't my choice, but I am fiercely proud of that.

Anyone not proud of the hospital....nay, ward they were born in needs their head examined.

Glory to ward 7!!

The world is divided into countries, not hospital catchment areas, so i dont see your logic there

Advertisement