Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Not sure if the Sony Play TV will pick up UK channels as it is for DVB T2 only which is what Saorview uses. Double check that though... I use it to pick up Saorview and it works great on the Duo2. Running latest VIX Helios.

Even if it can work with the UK standard, you will need to be near enough the north to pick up from transmitters up there such as Enniskillen. Should work fine in Cavan, Monaghan and surrounding areas.

Re-read my post and I should have explained better. There's a sat already up that I will get the UK channels from. Just needed a USB tuner to pick up saorview from the aerial he has.

The playtv thing should be here tomorrow so hopefully it'll work well :)

Would I be correct to say that if I was to get one for myself, I could record something off RTE2 from Saorview and continue to watch something on satellite? I have an aerial as well myself so it might be worth picking up another playtv and connecting it to my Uno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Oat23 wrote: »
    Re-read my post and I should have explained better. There's a sat already up that I will get the UK channels from. Just needed a USB tuner to pick up saorview from the aerial he has.

The playtv thing should be here tomorrow so hopefully it'll work well :)

Would I be correct to say that if I was to get one for myself, I could record something off RTE2 from Saorview and continue to watch something on satellite? I have an aerial as well myself so it might be worth picking up another playtv and connecting it to my Uno.

Yes. Infact you can watch something else on dvb-t whilst recording off dvb-t. Dual Tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

This is off topic but have a question.
    Which box would ye recommend?
    Mini Duo or a Solo 2 ?
    Solo 2 is €40 dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

solo2 original as buying clones people are using latest images and bricking them with the time bomb,solo2 original all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

greasepalm wrote: »
    solo2 original as buying clones people are using latest images and bricking them with the time bomb,solo2 original all the way.

Cheers man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My Vu+ Duo seems to have died.

It comes into standby, the HDD fires up, but no life. :(

only red light and starting on front,original or clone?

this was posted elsewhere.

just to add to this i found this elsewhere and if alright with mods will add ebay link later.

having had this myself and got box repaired by a tv expert i now see this available from ebay.

I have for sale a repair kit for the original Vu+Duo & maybe the Vu+Duo 2 (but please check if motherboards are the same). The kits consists of a Capacitor and a Regulator,

If you have a redlight on the duo it is normally caused by the Capacitor (C807) drying up but it can also blow the regulator (U801).
    I had these both go on mine. Sometimes you can get away with just changing the capacitor the 1st time you get the redlight but if you continue
    switching the machine off you can then blow the regulator like i did.

The original capacitor value is 220uf and i changed it to 330uf and a higher voltage.
    The regulators you cant buy in this country and you have to bulk buy.
    This regulator is the original and works very well as i had this go on my receiver.

There are 3 regulators and 3 capacitors the same and i changed all mine but is not necessary do to this
    and only change the ones i have stated.

The kits for sale consist of 1 x 330uf Capacitor and 1 x Regulator, But if you feel like changing all
    regulators (U801,U802,U805) and Capacitors (C807,C814,C815) then i can sell you them to you.

Please check my other listing on Vu+Duo if you want to buy the IC only

Multiple buys i will discount if you decide to change all 3 ie 3 x capacicitor, 3 x regulators for £25 saving you £11

Please Note:-
    Please have this repair carried out by a qualified repair man as I will not be held responsible for damage to you Vu+Duo , unless you are capable of doing yourself.Name: duo regulator.JPG Views: 9 Size: 716 BytesName: duo cap.JPG Views: 9 Size: 764 Bytes

Name: duo cap.JPG Views: 170 Size: 764 BytesName: duo regulator.JPG Views: 169 Size: 716 Bytes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

HI Greaseplam

any chance you could PM me the repair guy that soldered the board for you? as I have a VU with the red light problem

thanks

oh could you also give me the link for the repair kit from E-Bay

when i got my box done there was no reg info at that time and repair shop replaced a number of caps and dry joints .cost was around e90 yes it is expensive but worth it to me and they were based in stillorgan. checked the seller and his post had endedhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vu-Duo-Red-Light-/271411349084?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I see power supply boards for the VU+Duo available on ebay for around £30inc..
    I wonder if these would solve you problem byte? If so, it's probably more expensive, but likely to be easier to install yourself, which could work out cheaper in the long-run if you'd be considering paying someone to do it.

...I'm sure you already did, but have you tried leaving it plugged out overnight before plugging in and switching on in the morning? I had a red-light-but-no-power problem some months back but solved it this way.

byte

I see power supply boards for the VU+Duo available on ebay for around £30inc..
    I wonder if these would solve you problem byte? If so, it's probably more expensive, but likely to be easier to install yourself, which could work out cheaper in the long-run if you'd be considering paying someone to do it.

...I'm sure you already did, but have you tried leaving it plugged out overnight before plugging in and switching on in the morning? I had a red-light-but-no-power problem some months back but solved it this way.
    Thanks for the replies. I read of similar issues and indeed fixes on WorldOfSatellite.

I only get the red light, no Starting, just the red light. The HDD's spin up, so hopeful the PSU is OK, and the issue is with C807. Shoudln't be too hard to get a 220uF 16V cap. Just hope the regulator isn't gone also. It's because of this, I'm hesitant to try power cycling it anymore, for fear of frying it!

Not fully sure why people are replacing the cap with differnet values like 330uF or from 16 to 32V, but meh. Will take a look around the workshop at work to see if there's a suitable cap to use.

byte

Just to update on this, I soldered in a new 330μF 64V capacitor. This seems to have fixed the problem. I went through the whole effort of removing the board to solder it properly as I didn't fancy trying to solder onto the old cap legs. De-solder braid is a must for this, which I had access to.

Whilst apart, I blew off any dust around the PSU with compressed air.

Suffice to say, I'm extremely pleased with the problem only being a cheap capacitor, and the board is pretty easy to work on.

I'd like to say it's faster, but that'd be silly talk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Nice one byte!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Hey guys, I posted on here a while back trying to find out if my Vu Duo was an original or clone, thanks to help on here we determined it was a clone.

My question is how safe are these clones from a health and safety perspective? I've read a story of one going on fire during the night time which has me worried as I record shows late at night. I'm not using the box at the moment as I have a few others but I would like to play around it.

And I've read of clone safe images too to flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

I have a WinTV MiniStick (DVB-T) running on my VU+ with VIX. I have ran BH for years but recently changed to the VIX as I like the look of it and also the Blue HD $ky like skin which doesnt work on BH. Anyway my WinTV MiniStick (DVB-T) is working on the VIX image but will scans channel 21 Frequency 482000 and load the channels there RTE 2 HD etc. When it gets to channel 25 Frequency 506000 it hangs for a while but then moves on and doesn't pick up RTE 1 HD etc which are on a different mux. Any way round this or is it cause it will only scan one mux. Also have a IKASU USB DVB-T DV090135 DTT stick as well but VIX does not appear to pick it up. It does work on BH with both muxes but I really would like to keep the VIX image and not go back to BH. Any thoughts on the WinTV ministick and had similar issues? thanks n advance

The Bull wrote: »
    I have a WinTV MiniStick (DVB-T) running on my VU+ with VIX. I have ran BH for years but recently changed to the VIX as I like the look of it and also the Blue HD $ky like skin which doesnt work on BH. Anyway my WinTV MiniStick (DVB-T) is working on the VIX image but will scans channel 21 Frequency 482000 and load the channels there RTE 2 HD etc. When it gets to channel 25 Frequency 506000 it hangs for a while but then moves on and doesn't pick up RTE 1 HD etc which are on a different mux. Any way round this or is it cause it will only scan one mux. Also have a IKASU USB DVB-T DV090135 DTT stick as well but VIX does not appear to pick it up. It does work on BH with both muxes but I really would like to keep the VIX image and not go back to BH. Any thoughts on the WinTV ministick and had similar issues? thanks n advance

Do you not use Dreamedit or a channel editor ? That way you would have a backup of just your E2 channel list, no matter what the image. You just ftp the channel/bouquet lists to your box after loading any image.

Your issue with Mux 1. Don't do an auto scan. Do a manual scan of ch 25.

BTW that other DVB-T stick, the Ikasu, at a guess its an ITE 9135, plugins, download plugins, Drivers, (dvb-usb-IT913X). Install, restart ennigma.

BH community are great for having all the drivers patched for BH. Vix not so much. Their only downfall.

Digidol wrote: »
    Hey guys, I posted on here a while back trying to find out if my Vu Duo was an original or clone, thanks to help on here we determined it was a clone.

My question is how safe are these clones from a health and safety perspective? I've read a story of one going on fire during the night time which has me worried as I record shows late at night. I'm not using the box at the moment as I have a few others but I would like to play around it.

And I've read of clone safe images too to flash?

The PSB will normally blow before it can do any damage. But you can replace them. To be honest, if its not running warm and has a fan I am sure it will be fine, but the short cuts that are taken on the clones is unknown!

As regards the images safe to run, well the only way you will know is by looking at the board for the version number and then choose the clone safe version of the latest image from the ferrari site. The link to that site that has those patched images is in the post you linked to. Re-read my post to you and it explains it better. If the box is running okay dont bother updating the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Could somebody possibly do me a favour and post the latest version of "Rat's Bouquets E2 SD FTA HD"
    Id rather not spam their forum with the obligatory 5 posts needed to get the file

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Here you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Could somebody possibly do me a favour and post the latest version of "Rat's Bouquets E2 SD FTA HD"
    Id rather not spam their forum with the obligatory 5 posts needed to get the file

Thanks

You can download it here without registering

h**p://www.satelliteworldz.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

does the new blackhole image have the sportmax plugin installed or do you have to install this yourself. New to this so sorry if its been asked already just got a Vu+duo today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You have to install it as an ipk file . I tried it on a duo 2 and does not seem to work unless I'm doing something wrong.

kod12 wrote: »
    does the new blackhole image have the sportmax plugin installed or do you have to install this yourself. New to this so sorry if its been asked already just got a Vu+duo today

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

ah no worries cheers for that. Do you know any other good plugins for sports and for the 3pm games not on tv?

Hi Guys

Sorry if the question seems stupid but I bought a Vu+duo last week with the latest blackhole image on it. All of the streams work ok but nothing is showing up on the bouquet channel list I have loaded. How do you set up the satellite?

I just moved house and there was a satellite and cable left there but after plugging this into the duo I still cant get any FTA channels at all. does a card need to be installed or have I set this up wrong?

Any help would be great

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

If the dish is pointed correctly, you should be getting the likes of BBC, etc, unless it is pointed at a european satellite?

You will probably need to do an auto scan again though.

using a single LNB

Satellite finder Tuner A: SNR 18 - 45% (flickering very quickly) AGC, 99%, BER 0
    Tuner B: SNR 18 - 45% (flickering very quickly) AGC, 99%, BER 0

ran an auto scan returns zero for 28.2e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

with a single lnb you only use one tuner. in setup under tuner configuration set it to tuner a, you also need a sat xml file and with these boxes the easiest way to get sats is to load a channel setting list. But that dish may be wonky as well, is it a sky dish and have you an old sky box.

• Advertisement

that's what im thinking there was a polish couple in the house before me so the satellite could be pointed differently?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement