Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour 2014 - no ticket requests - post #38 - see thread in Cycling adverts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭fits

Did the 100 km! First sportive and furthest I have cycled in one go. Went really well and im not too bad today. I didn't even know what a road bike was a year ago. Great event. Fab volunteers and will definitely do it again. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Fantastic days cycling. Great value. Very well organised -very efficient and business like- volunteers were excellent especially given the weather. Ladys were even giving out jellys near the top of tichincor! I really liked the options of being able to stop every 40/50k. Earlier in the day i didnt expect to stop so much but a you cant beat a cup of tea after being in the driving rain for an hour.

Fairly quick day. I heard earlier that mahon falls was closed, an incorrectly thought that whole section was taken out (i.e. knocking 30km or so off the journey) so jumped on a large group after Rathgormuck who were going around 40kmh average and hammered it. i found out/realised about 25km later that just the 2 km climb was taken out and the rest of the route was the same. Fairly sick!
    The last 30km was absolutely awesome and the reason I love cycling - rolling roads - big working group - 40kph average - driving rain and wind -getting destroyed in kickback and muck from the road- brilliant!

Really enjoyed the day which was to the great credit of the organisers.
    Special congrats to the optimists who just wore SKT t-shirts and left the raingear behind. Hardy people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

kencoo wrote: »
    .... I heard earlier that mahon falls was closed, an incorrectly thought that whole section was taken out (i.e. knocking 30km or so off the journey)....

I made the same mistake too.

Tough, miserable day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Best organised event in the country and the best I've done abroad. Given the fact there was over 1500 participants on the 100km and 1500 on the 160km there is bound to be a bit of queuing. Top marks to the VOLUNTEERS who give up there Sunday to make our day on a bike so good. I suppose it's there fault too the weather was so bad?? Man up and have a bit of patience I reckon...

I said I had a great day. I'm sorry to say it but the organization at the 40km main food stop wasn't great, the queue snakes around the the football posts on the adjoining queue. We joined it for 15 mins and it went nowhere. It was cold, wet and miserable. Imo they should have had more stands or a bigger Hall to cater for the numbers. It's my only criticism, and it's a legitimate one regardless whether they were volunteers or not it doesn't make any difference to the fact that people were stuck in a queue outside for a long time. Everything else was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

willabur wrote: »
    I said I had a great day. I'm sorry to say it but the organization at the 40km main food stop wasn't great, the queue snakes around the the football posts on the adjoining queue. We joined it for 15 mins and it went nowhere. It was cold, wet and miserable. Imo they should have had more stands or a bigger Hall to cater for the numbers. It's my only criticism, and it's a legitimate one regardless whether they were volunteers or not it doesn't make any difference to the fact that people were stuck in a queue outside for a long time. Everything else was perfect.

What, a purpose built hall in the arsehole of nowhere filled with an unlimited supply of volunteers just so that you don't have to queue for a few mins?

Next time pack your own sandwich or stop at a petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

There were marshals standing out in it for 8 hours so as they could wave the likes of you and me through junctions, they did it voluntary so u could enjoy your day. Bar building a bigger building for you I don't see how it can be improved. Stop giving out and harden up, if u don't want to queue bring your own food. As I said 1500 people in one spot is going to be busy. Not being sarcastic but I know the effort that these volunteers put in and they deserve even more credit than any person cycling it.

Gavlor wrote: »
    What, a purpose built hall in the arsehole of nowhere filled with an unlimited supply of volunteers just so that you don't have to queue for a few mins?

Next time pack your own sandwich or stop at a petrol station.

I find your tone curious. I'm just saying what happened to me and my friends. If you found the organization to be spot on then fair enough, you have either extremely high tolerance levels or you arrived much earlier than I did as we queued for quite a lot longer than a few minutes and the queue went no where. So I got on my bike and cycled onto the 70 km stop.

I've been to quite a few other events this year and this problem wasn't there. Simply by having more than one queue.

There were marshals standing out in it for 8 hours so as they could wave the likes of you and me through junctions, they did it voluntary so u could enjoy your day. Bar building a bigger building for you I don't see how it can be improved. Stop giving out and harden up, if u don't want to queue bring your own food. As I said 1500 people in one spot is going to be busy. Not being sarcastic but I know the effort that these volunteers put in and they deserve even more credit than any person cycling it.

I'm not knocking anyones effort, I'm just pointing out how they could improve the system at the food stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm not knocking anyones effort, I'm just pointing out how they could improve the system at the food stop.

By building a new complex just to feed you ?

Dude u need get real, what do u expect, your own table and a waitress bringing u down your currant cake and tea. It's the biggest sportive in the country what do u expect??? Between food and water stops along the way ul survive. There was 6 food stops or water stops on the 160 km alone. That's a stop every 33 km... Is that not enough for you? Man up. You had to wait for ur sandwich. So what? stop whinging fella

• Advertisement

Dude u need get real, what do u expect, your own table and a waitress bringing u down your currant cake and tea. It's the biggest sportive in the country what do u expect??? Between food and water stops along the way ul survive. There was 6 food stops or water stops on the 160 km alone. That's a stop every 33 km... Is that not enough for you? Man up. You had to wait for ur sandwich. So what stop winging

What's with this 'man up' bull? Seriously, I need to be a 'man' about this?
    I'm just expressing an opinion which I'm entitled to as much as you are yours. Please don't tell me 'stop whinging' you are sounding an awful lot like a bully

Junior wrote: »
    By building a new complex just to feed you ?

Read my post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'm just expressing an opinion which I'm entitled to as much as you are yours. Please don't tell me 'stop whinging' you are sounding an awful lot like a bully

Whatever you do, don't join a racing club.

Anyway, at least we all agree that the marshalling etc was brilliant. My last point on the foodstops, volunteers are not unlimited. I was talking to one lady @ the 2nd 160k foodstop in rathgormack that had travelled up from waterford city (45 minute drive) to serve coffee.

These events are nothing without people like that.

Whatever you do, don't join a racing club.

Anyway, at least we all agree that the marshalling etc was brilliant. My last point on the foodstops, volunteers are not unlimited. I was talking to one lady @ the 2nd 160k foodstop in rathgormack that had travelled up from waterford city (45 minute drive) to serve coffee.

These events are nothing without people like that.

Exactly and there was loads of people who made a great effort and they do it every year, they are a credit to co Waterford.

I'm a bully? Youre entitled to your opinion but then You come on to a forum and give out about queuing up at the biggest sportive in Ireland. I think u are fair game if u come on here and give out about volunteers... And ur the only one giving out so maybe u are wrong maybeeee???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Great event, great organisation and a big thanks to the volunteers. Pity about the rain. First climb was tougher than I expected but enjoyed it! Hear its on the table for this years Hill Climb Championships with an extra km (straight on..we turned right on SK) to the top. Would be an interesting one to hit with 140kms in the legs :) Nice to meet Garmin Guy at the start and along the way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pedro_colnago and willabur - leave it there

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

ford2600 wrote: »
    For surreal try it at night in December with a heavier fog under dynamo lighting!

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

Bring back bad memories!

That's the spot alright. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

Yea the queue at the Knockanore food stop was pretty long especially in the conditions outside but it was moving (I joined it on the football pitch and was inside about 10 minutes later). And once you got in there were lots of tables with about 8 options of sandwich. But that's where the problem developed. In theory you could walk up to the one you wanted and just grab a pack and go. The problem was participants were taking too long to make their way along the line of tables looking at the options. I saw two lad move back along the tables because they wanted one of the early options but only realised that at the end. All that slowed up the movement of the queue. If they had the tables at the opposite side of the hall with the queue ending around the door people could immediately see the options and have their mind made up by the time they got there (e.g. think of rego. you got in the door and walked straight to the section you wanted 160, 100 or 50. You didn't have to stay in a queue with the 160 group if you were doing the 50). That would speed things along. It is a question of layout rather than effort on the part of the organisers.

BUT that said the volunteers in and around the hall were excellent. There were youngsters in t-shirts coming out into the wind & rain to give people some biscuits etc. They were cleaning away tables really quickly to make room for new arrivals. And the selection of food was excellent. A tray of sandwiches, some pasta, cake AND then biscuits and sweets on the tables. Anyone who thought they were not well fed must have tapeworm. And throughout the day the volunteers were doing a great job. They were out in awful conditions and they did a great job in keeping us all safe in fairly dangerous conditions. One lad in particular was on a descent and didn't really seem dressed for the conditions but was warning everyone about a dangerous manhole cover. He must have been frozen at the end but probably saved a few people from ending up in A&E.

So overall it was an excellent day. Weather was a disappointment but next time some lad tells you how great he is for pouring a small bucket of ice over his head for 5 seconds and donating €2 to charity tell him you paid €40 to charity to do a 4-6 hour ice bucket challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

My first SKT 160k. I found its fairly gruelling despite having trained on all 4 climbs in advance of the event.
    I think having 60-70k done in the legs before the 1st climb caught me out a bit, but got round without doing the "cleat walk of shame".
    Found the last 30k pretty hard going as legs were spent, head winds and driving rain...but it's character building stuff and at least I can say I did the 160k the year it pi**ed down all day.
    Kinda dissapinted (but do agree) that Mahon Falls were blocked and don't know if quads could have taken much more.

Must say a big thanks (as well as to all the volunteers) to the guy who stopped to help me unjam my chain shortly after Mahon which got wedged between chainset and frame. Bloody thing hopped off as I changed gear and hit a pot hole same time. In fairness, a number of lads offered help...which sums up the collectivesness of us cycle chaps..
    If that guy is reading this, I owe a pint buddy!!

I know it's slow but I got round in 7 hrs and ave speed just over 23kph.... And I'm chuffed! :D
    Wife and children were at the finish, standing in the rain and must admit, i had an emotional tear or 3 in the eye as I crossed the line. To do the SKT 160 was always my goal, after a serious knee injury 2 years ago and I took up cycling as a result..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

what time did they close Mahon falls at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

lismore7 wrote: »
    I know it's slow but I got round in 7 hrs and ave speed just over 23kph.... And I'm chuffed! .

That aint slow, only bertie or nibali would consider that slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Fell hard on the way back to the car - that effin gully in road along the harbour did for me. Still helmet did its job ( as usual I used my head to break my fall). 160km not a bother - then bang. Thanks to the folks in the pub who came out and picked me up and to the car behind for not running over me! Left hand index finger is heavily bruised (hence the typos and right knee/hip/side of head a bit sore.

A clubmate and I did exactly the same thing on the way back. Disgusted to make it all the way round in one piece and then fall once we thought we were safe. No injuries for either of us so hope you're feeling better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Did the 160 and it was my toughest spin to date. Found the first food stop great and fair play to all the volunteers and especially those poor souls standing on the roads. Bypassed the second food stop when we were told Mahon Falls was closed. Did not realise that we were going to cycle almost to the top of it!! Enjoyed my well earned banana in Kilrossanty.
    Only gripe all day was a Waterford based club thinking they owned the road going up Powers the Pot. Thinking they owned the road and shouting and roaring at anyone who they felt were doing wrong.
    Anyway well done to all. Wonderful achievement in horrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

eoz wrote: »
    Only gripe all day was a Waterford based club thinking they owned the road going up Powers the Pot. Thinking they owned the road and shouting and roaring at anyone who they felt were doing wrong.

I think you should be happy enough to name the club and let it be discussed? No point in keeping it to yourself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dcp

The jerseys are nice but they are tight! I'm a medium in most running/cycling tops but the large is even a bit snug.

I'll swap your large jersey for an XL. I'm in Dublin, but can post if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭fits

dcp wrote: »
    I'll swap your large jersey for an XL. I'm in Dublin, but can post if necessary.

I have an XL to swap for a smaller size also!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I think you should be happy enough to name the club and let it be discussed? No point in keeping it to yourself.....

Won't be naming the club. Think I'll keep it to myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

eoz wrote: »
    Think I'll keep it to myself....

...but you haven't done so.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Daithi BC wrote: »
    A clubmate and I did exactly the same thing on the way back. Disgusted to make it all the way round in one piece and then fall once we thought we were safe. No injuries for either of us so hope you're feeling better soon

Cheers. Nothing permanent - but sore today. The bike was ok. Hope you folks and your bikes are alright.

Advertisement