Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour 2014 - no ticket requests - post #38 - see thread in Cycling adverts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I think I may have got my hands on an entry - yaay!

Quick Question: How does the transfer work in practice? Do I simply rock up end sign on under the name of the person from whom I got the entry?

There was a post on their facebook page in the last week saying: "If you are buying or selling an entry - the original participant needs to email us at info@theseankellytour.com to inform us of the new participant's details."
    The organisers will then email you with an updated entry.
    It took a few days for the organisers to get back with my updated entry.

Apologies: Just saw this on their facebook page from 2 days ago:
    IMPORTANT - with immediate effect we are not taking any more swaps or transfers via email or phone. PLEASE COME TO THE HELP DESK IN DUNGARVAN SPORTS CENTRE on Saturday between 12 & 8pm or on Sunday from 6.30 am. SKT Team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

One more sleep to go

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

bazermc wrote: »
    One more sleep to go

Excited much ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

listrybabe wrote: »
    Excited much ? :)

Terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Will it or won't it rain..that is the question..
    It's mud gard decision time...
    Ah feck it, I'll put em on ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The jerseys are nice but they are tight! I'm a medium in most running/cycling tops but the large is even a bit snug.

Looking forward to the hardship tomoro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

Gavlor wrote: »
    The jerseys are nice but they are tight! I'm a medium in most running/cycling tops but the large is even a bit snug.

Looking forward to the hardship tomoro!!

I know. I felt like the lad who ate all the pies having to go up a second time and ask "can I try the next size up".

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Just found this route profile for the 160 from last year. At a quick glance, it seems to be the same route this year.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/dungarvan-m/the-kelly-comeragh-challenge-2013-route-256549539

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Absolutely lashing down for long while in Cork. Hope the weather is a bit more ok across Waterford way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

pelevin wrote: »
    Absolutely lashing down for long while in Cork. Hope the weather is a bit more ok across Waterford way.

Unfortunately it wasn't , we started the 100 Km early, 8.15ish to try and avoid the forecast rain, about 10 Km in a few drops hit us and by Cappoquin it was steady and strong. On we went and finished soaked thru (not a patch on the tour of Kilkenny though, my worst day ever on a bike). Organisation was flawless, sign in was grand, haven't tried the jersey on yet, no mediums but from what i heard the sizings are on the small side so i reckon the large should be close enough. The food stop went smoothly, few cups of scalding nearly got me warm again, kept going to the finish, it's the best way to keep warm on a day like today.
    Thanks to everyone involved in making to today happen, from the sponsors to the tea ladies but a special mention to the outdoor guys given the conditions, chapeau to you all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

Thanks to everyone involved in making to today happen, from the sponsors to the tea ladies but a special mention to the outdoor guys given the conditions, chapeau to you all. :D

Here here...today was my first ever sportive having only got my bike about 5 weeks ago and I cannot believe how well run everything was. Weather was atrocious but the support of volunteers and fellow cyclists was fantastic. Two lovely guys who's names I never got certainly helped me keep going when I was really struggling from Ardmore to the turn for Ring. Really super event....chapeau to all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Did the 160 . What a day. Wind rain and hills. Delighted to have it done but it was murder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did the 160. Weather was cat (as they say in this part of the world) and some challenging climbs. Did well in tickinor that was my nemesis. I didn't intent the yelp to be audible when the they announced that Mahon falls was closed - would have been murder with 120km on the legs. Just over 6 hours rolling for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Weather was manky but my first SKT in 3-4 years. Was going well until I came into Ardmore and hit an uneven patch of road and hit the deck. FairPlay to a Dungarvan rider and another I didn't catch who stopped ahead, turned back and came over to ensure I was ok. It's small things like that which makes it worthwhile, a lot of road rash and cuts with a suspected fractured finger but I'll survive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

First time doing this or any other event. All in all it was very very we'll run. Think it's super value for money. A very big thanks to all the people who gave up their time.

All I can say ohh did it rain. For the first 40km i was some what cold but my friend was frozen due to no rain gear.

I know I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the weather was fine. Let's hope for better conditions for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭deandean

I did the 50km with a few pals. we got very wet. we kept going at a fair pace to keep nice and warm. i must have overtaken 500+ riders LOL.
    well done to the organisers, ye all did a fantastic job. How the DJ had a voice after 2+ hours of finishing us all, I don't know!

Did the 160, was lovely up until the first food stop but then the rain came! Some great climbing on the route, but some of the descents were pretty hairy in the wet! Bit disappointed we didn't get to do the full Mahon Falls climb, suppose that just gives me an excuse to come back again next year! Must say that the organisation was top class on the day, particularly the stewards and warning signs around the roads. Despite the rain, it was a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

Fantastic day out, and very well organised, congrats to all. Where will the photo's be up. Lots of cameras out there today.

Forgot to mention I spotted NeedMoreGears in his lovely pink Boardsie kit! Hope you had a good day out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

jmdsk wrote: »
    Fantastic day out, and very well organised, congrats to all. Where will the photo's be up. Lots of cameras out there today.

Loads on the Sean Kelly Tour Facebook page already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just back in Dublin. Absolutely Awesome. I dont think I have enjoyed a day on my bike as much. I was off my bike for the last two weeks due to injury so was thinking of dropping out. I am so glad I didnt. I did the 160km. The first km of the first climb was tough, after that I didnt think the climb was too severe. Got in a nice group leaving the food stop to the next climb. Think it was made up of Southside wheely(?) Wheelers so that knocked off a good few kilometres very quickly.

Approaching Mahon Bridge I was tempted to skip the falls and go straight back to Dungarvan but I am glad I turned right and did the climb. Not sure if I was helped or hindered not been able to see more than 30 feet ahead of me just had to keep cycling.

As people already said thanks to everyone; the marshals, the people who looked after the food stops, all the organizers on a terrible day they were all very cheery throughout. Great day.

I will have to chalk it in for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Headed off on the 160 at 8.15am, 15 mins before the official start. 3 of us got in a group of 7 for the first section into Carrick on Suir. The front group of 60 went past us in Carrick I'd say going 45km p/h unreal clip. Hit the climb at Tickincor and the first 1km was steep and tough as was the last 1km, good to get over it and nice decent into Clonmel.

Spent 20 mins at the food stop, excellent food/drinks etc, quick as well. Left Clonmel and the rain started, took the road out to Dungarvan and then the left for the Powers of Pot. Really found that climb tough after the food stop. Descent was hairy enough, locked the rear wheel on the short steep section and was lucky not to come off.

Second food stop was at 105km or so and I was fairly soaked at that stage, stopped for 15 mins and got the news Mahon Falls was closed due the health and safety (high fives around the table) :).

There home was a tough stretch, took in part Mahon and Mama Road which seemed to last forever. Even after the last category climb the roads were rolling and energy snapping.

Weather obviously made the day really though and less enjoyable, would love to do it in fine weather, regardless really glad I completed it and well done to everybody how took part.

Big thanks to the marshalls, stewards and helpers at the food stops, top class run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

Did the 100km, the weather was manky. But had a good day, one complaint I would have was the food stop was badly managed. The queue was ridiculously long and non moving. Compared to the organization at the tour DE burren there was no comparison. We waited 15 mins, shivering and cold before deciding to jump back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Just back in Dublin. Absolutely Awesome. I dont think I have enjoyed a day on my bike as much. I was off my bike for the last two weeks due to injury so was thinking of dropping out. I am so glad I didnt. I did the 160km. The first km of the first climb was tough, after that I didnt think the climb was too severe. Got in a nice group leaving the food stop to the next climb. Think it was made up of Southside wheely(?) Wheelers so that knocked off a good few kilometres very quickly.

SWW (South county limerick) are my crowd of head the balls, heard it was tough but they had two handy sized groups so worked out ok. Only back from Portugal yesterday , got offered a entry but declined- not sure if I regret it or not lol

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭El Vino

The weather was a bit grim but everyone seemed in great spirits, while I was glad at the time not to have to do Mahon Falls it is not the same spin without it. All the food stops I hit were excellent, It is the one Sportive i do which I think I put on weight.
    Delighted with the Jersey also this year and last years are ones you might actually wear again. Roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Mahon Falls wasnt closed all day was it ? Looks like some folk made it over it. .
    Good call regardless . .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

willabur wrote: »
    Did the 100km, the weather was manky. But had a good day, one complaint I would have was the food stop was badly managed. The queue was ridiculously long and non moving. Compared to the organization at the tour DE burren there was no comparison. We waited 15 mins, shivering and cold before deciding to jump back on the bike.

Best organised event in the country and the best I've done abroad. Given the fact there was over 1500 participants on the 100km and 1500 on the 160km there is bound to be a bit of queuing. Top marks to the VOLUNTEERS who give up there Sunday to make our day on a bike so good. I suppose it's there fault too the weather was so bad?? Man up and have a bit of patience I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Best organised event in the country and the best I've done abroad. Given the fact there was over 1500 participants on the 100km and 1500 on the 160km there is bound to be a bit of queuing. Top marks to the VOLUNTEERS who give up there Sunday to make our day on a bike so good. I suppose it's there fault too the weather was so bad?? Man up and have a bit of patience I reckon...

Well said, when a big group of cyclists all arrive at one location at more or less the same time people need to chillax, the volunteers put a lot of effort and give up their free time to help these days to happen. If queueing up is a bother put some cash in your pocket and find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Firstly - a big thanks to the marshalls who were in the rain for hours and to the folk at the food stops.

Overall a tough enough day. Made the first food stop before the rain. Spent the next 95km swimming up hill and down dale. The drag down to the Mahons Falls turn was wearing, not helped by the strong wind and the rain. Found a bit of form after that and didn't stop at the second food stop. Had a minor panic when I thought I was lost after the first bit of Mahons Falls. Bananas shortly thereafter were a lifesaver. The Nire valley climb was surreal - the mist/fogged glasses kept visibility right down. Great run in as usual.

Fell hard on the way back to the car - that effin gully in road along the harbour did for me. Still helmet did its job ( as usual I used my head to break my fall). 160km not a bother - then bang. Thanks to the folks in the pub who came out and picked me up and to the car behind for not running over me! Left hand index finger is heavily bruised (hence the typos and right knee/hip/side of head a bit sore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The Nire valley climb was surreal - the mist/fogged glasses kept visibility right down. Great run in as usual.

Fell hard on the way back to the car - that effin gully in road along the harbour did for me. Still helmet did its job ( as usual I used my head to break my fall). 160km not a bother - then bang. Thanks to the folks in the pub who came out and picked me up and to the car behind for not running over me! Left hand index finger is heavily bruised (hence the typos and right knee/hip/side of head a bit sore.

For surreal try it at night in December with a heavier fog under dynamo lighting!

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

Bring back bad memories!

Advertisement