Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour 2014 - no ticket requests - post #38 - see thread in Cycling adverts

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I think you should be happy enough to name the club and let it be discussed? No point in keeping it to yourself.....

If it's the same club I'm thinking of we had this on the last 20km home, roaring and shouting at people who were overtaking (safely - even with clear signals of intent). Granted the visibility wasnt great, but a club in particular should be able to progress along a road, overtaking slower cyclists or moving out to avoid obstacles without too much drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

lismore7 wrote: »
    My first SKT 160k. I found its fairly gruelling despite having trained on all 4 climbs in advance of the event.
    I think having 60-70k done in the legs before the 1st climb caught me out a bit, but got round without doing the "cleat walk of shame".
    Found the last 30k pretty hard going as legs were spent, head winds and driving rain...but it's character building stuff and at least I can say I did the 160k the year it pi**ed down all day.
    Kinda dissapinted (but do agree) that Mahon Falls were blocked and don't know if quads could have taken much more.

Must say a big thanks (as well as to all the volunteers) to the guy who stopped to help me unjam my chain shortly after Mahon which got wedged between chainset and frame. Bloody thing hopped off as I changed gear and hit a pot hole same time. In fairness, a number of lads offered help...which sums up the collectivesness of us cycle chaps..
    If that guy is reading this, I owe a pint buddy!!

I know it's slow but I got round in 7 hrs and ave speed just over 23kph.... And I'm chuffed! :D
    Wife and children were at the finish, standing in the rain and must admit, i had an emotional tear or 3 in the eye as I crossed the line. To do the SKT 160 was always my goal, after a serious knee injury 2 years ago and I took up cycling as a result..
    How did you get on with the clothing choice in the end? I was freezing after the Ballymac stop despite a long sleeve base layer, club shirt and a gilet. We soon got warmed up though up that long hill road straight from the stop. That was a tough day whatever your training

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ashleey wrote: »
    How did you get on with the clothing choice in the end? I was freezing after the Ballymac stop despite a long sleeve base layer, club shirt and a gilet. We soon got warmed up though up that long hill road straight from the stop. That was a tough day whatever your training

I ended up wearing 2 base layers, arm warmers, windproof jacket and a rain jacket.
    Kept out the worst till 2nd food stop, then got cold. When heavier rain started after Mahon, I was fairly soaked through and just kept going to keep warm.
    Just to correct an earlier post of mine on me times... my moving time was 7hrs 6 mins and ave speed 22.5 kph. I honestly think Nibali & Bertie have nothing to fear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It wasn't really about getting a record time. It's probably the sportive that is most like a 'real sportive': you are competing against the course and your own personal pain and endurance skills. We were slower than last year even though Mahon falls was closed, so the weather really did have a big effect. You can't let it go on the descents in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just getting around that 160 km route is an achievement I'd say. Maybe next year... that wind was a killer at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I did the 160k, well organised event as always, tough going with the bit of wind of rain though. Chapeu to the volunteers, tougher than actually doing the event.

Couldn't get over the incidents I witnessed which should lead to a lifetime ban in participating in any organised cycle:

1) Just after the start. some tosser going down the Carrick road near the front of the group trying in vain to take off his rain jacket - how the sleeves did not get caught in the spokes and bring us all down I don't know - had to be roared at to pull in

2) Girl going up Powers the Pot, weaving all over the shop - get a cassette with lower gearing to help you go in a straight line

3) The number of people who can't chat to the person next to them without looking into their eyes - leads to the wobbles when they do actually put their eyes back on the road

4) I'm sure there are plenty out there who have no experience or desire to cycle as part of a group doing up and overs - thats fair enough, but please don't jump in with a club group and disrupt the rhythm of that group.

5) Overtaking on blind bends - doesn't even warrant discussion, its just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Andalucia wrote: »
    ... should lead to a lifetime ban in participating in any organised cycle:
    ...going up Powers the Pot, weaving

...can't chat without looking into eyes

....disrupt the rhythm of group.

You gotta be kidding? A lifetime ban - surely not. Whatever about the the girl at Powers the Pot, the comment is surely 'over the top'.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ashleey wrote: »
    It wasn't really about getting a record time. It's probably the sportive that is most like a 'real sportive': you are competing against the course and your own personal pain and endurance skills. We were slower than last year even though Mahon falls was closed, so the weather really did have a big effect. You can't let it go on the descents in that!

Absolutely agree: Every cyclist who took part yesterday has to be proud of what they achieved in the face of horrendous conditions..
    Twas a shame (although understandable) the weather caused them to close Mahon Falls.
    Strangely I don't feel I've fully conquered the SKT 160, without Mahon Falls.
    Just means I must return next year to do battle once again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

lismore7 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree: Every cyclist who took part yesterday has to be proud of what they achieved in the face of horrendous conditions..
    Twas a shame (although understandable) the weather caused them to close Mahon Falls.
    Strangely I don't feel I've fully conquered the SKT 160, without Mahon Falls.
    Just means I must return next year to do battle once again !!

No in that weather u more than conquered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

fits wrote: »
    I have an XL to swap for a smaller size also!

To those of you looking to swap if the SKT can swap but can't facilitate postage then I am more than happy for you to post to me, I'll meet team to swap and post back. Just an idea if you are stuck. Live near Dungarvan anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

What a great event..

My 4th year in a row doing the 160 and it really is one of the best organised events you are likely to see.

To think that 700 volunteers gave their time to provide both safety and to cater for so many participants is just fantastic-I tip my cap and thank you all.

It was a tough day weatherwise but probably the most enjoyable I have done so far. Myself and a clubmate had put in our saddletime during the year and as a result we enjoyed it all the more yesterday.

We got in with a top bunch of lads from Midleton from the start but had to pull in at the first water stop unfortunately. We had held a moving average of 36km/h at that point.

Tickincor as always gets the blood flowing and a great descent into the first feed stop before the rain-the fruit cake was to die for! Caught up with a few fellas I hadn't seen in 20 odd years and then off to the steed again!

Got into a massive group of what must have been 150 odd riders before Powers the Pot. Wouldn't agree with some of the comments above-I really thought the standard of riding yesterday was very good-far superior to some of the madness in the WW200 this year.

Skipped all the other stops bar the second food stop where (thanks Emma O'Reilly!) I put tea in the bidon! I really was cold after only 5 or 6 minutes stopped. Great craic at that hall-the girl handing out the bananas in the Bermuda shorts was the only thing tropical about yesterday!!

News filtered through that Mahon Falls was closed and like others I thought then that we would all be shortcoursed back. Fell in with a local bunch of triathletes that were based in Dublin-great turns taken at the front by all making the trip to the turn off a lot easier..The Maama road was a grind, but strangely because you couldn't see 10m in front (and hence the summit, normally visible was hidden) made it seem easier (in the head at least!)

Head down and hammered it back to town at that point-hadn't cycled that road before with such a headwind, but 3 or4 of us worked it between us.To the Cork lad who bollicked me for nearly giving up the work at the last-thanks for encouraging me home! Missed you at the finished to say thanks!

Didn't see the Garmin rise above 12 degrees all day, so the hardest decision was what to wear-so glad I brought the overshoes and LS jacket and waterproof! Seemed an overkill for August, but hey,it's Ireland!

I had done Gaelforce west the previous weekend, so was delighted with the legs yesterday..

The jersey will become a collector's item-really nice piece of kit

Great bunch of friendly riders, a superb crew of volunteers, still smiling after a long day as ducks for some-I'll be back for 2015!!

I had but one gripe that not even King Kelly could influence-not the nicest decision to put a GATSO van at the bottom of the hill going into Dungarvan for the weekend-I was just surprised they didn't have it on the other side of the road for the way home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

There was a lad taking photos on the way up towards Mahon Falls. He was on the RH side of the road with a blue van. Anyone know who he was or where his photos can be found?

Great event by the way, despite the weather. Big thanks to all the volunteers on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cervelo.S2

My first time to do the Tour Of Waterford 160 km and i have to admit from Tickincor onwards it's a tough enough challenge.Not knowing the decents meant i was cautious due to the wet roads and was on the brakes.The last climb 'Mama Road' i think, seemed to go on forever due to cycling in a cloud/fog.Yesterday rivalled the Wicklow 200 for miserable weather and i suffered with the cold but i'm still pleased i took part.Everybody i meet was friendly and the food/water stops spot on (try Baltinglass in the Wicklow 200 for madness).Well run event and top marks to all the people who marshalled the roads and ran the food/water stops.I hope to return just in warmer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Andalucia wrote: »

4) I'm sure there are plenty out there who have no experience or desire to cycle as part of a group doing up and overs - thats fair enough, but please don't jump in with a club group and disrupt the rhythm of that group.

Speaking of this. We were tipping towards powers the pot taking turns up front but chatting away so not pushing on. We rolled up every couple of minutes or so. Along came about 4 other riders and they hopped on our group. Shortly after one of them come up next to me and says can we hurry up here lads and roll up quicker.

Told him to go to the front and we let him off. If you join a group work or their pace or stay out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

great day on the bike .. Probably the best run Sportive in Ireland, and that down to the organisation, and the attention to detail, that makes it the best..
    I would agree with the poster that mentioned people wandering into a club group , and either sitting on at the back doing nothing , or else just wander into the middle disrupting the flow.
    Cyclists passing on the right/left/through the middle.. Give a warning for feck sake... Morons that come past you, and the try take your front wheel when they cut in .... A great achievement for all due to the weather..
    when can we enter for next year...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

eoz wrote: »
    Only gripe all day was a Waterford based club thinking they owned the road going up Powers the Pot. Thinking they owned the road and shouting and roaring at anyone who they felt were doing wrong.
    Anyway well done to all. Wonderful achievement in horrible conditions.

Were they as bad as people just stopping on the side of the road on the climb ? Two lads just stood there, bikes and themselves in the way while people are climbing!! Senseless or clueless...... I dunno..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

greenspurs wrote: »
    great day on the bike .. Probably the best run Sportive in Ireland, and that down to the organisation, and the attention to detail, that makes it the best..
    I would agree with the poster that mentioned people wandering into a club group , and either sitting on at the back doing nothing , or else just wander into the middle disrupting the flow.
    Cyclists passing on the right/left/through the middle.. Give a warning for feck sake... Morons that come past you, and the try take your front wheel when they cut in .... A great achievement for all due to the weather..
    when can we enter for next year...

I think at least sitting on the back doesn't disrupt the flow - I don't think you can have it both ways!

I started early so didn't meet too many large groups but chatted with those who passed by and those I passed by at reasonable leisure! I did this as I wanted to get out of the worst of the weather. If those complaining about queuing want a solution to their problem - leave earlier, there was only about 12-15 people at each stop when I got there. We virtually had the place to ourselves and the chat with the volunteers and marshalls was all the better too, it made it more enjoyable for me and also gives you a better sense of the extent of the organization, it is a very well run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

3rd 160 in a row and the toughest by far,
    Alarm bell went off at 4:15am and drove from Dublin,
    I'm no expert myself and given the conditions people are bound to make simple mistakes I got knocked off going up the first climb by a lad.........no big deal no one was badly hurt.
    Ah look I am not even going there on the negative or club v newbies debate,
    Clubs leave early they will meet the newbie who doesn't want to be out all day,
    A bit of patience and respect to all road users,
    Great tough event and the weather tested even the hardiest I'd say,
    Volunteers deserve the credit not the cyclists,
    Chapeau to all who finished it and I will be wearing the jersey even though they left out Mahon Falls.
    My only question how do some groups manage to go consistently fast (was with Chain gang Tralee for some of the first section average 30 to 40km+ avs)?? I thought I was fit....Totally mystified.....
    Finished rolling time 6:11 an improvement of 39 minutes overall on last year so at least the training paid off somewhat but still watched the clock from 93km home......
    Thanks Barry for the entry....
    I'm still undecided on doing next year the gruel is still too fresh.....
    After doing the Evil 200 this year I still think SKT was tougher......Anyone else agree??

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Well done to all that took part, conditions were terrible but the spirits were high, especially up the maama road on the 160k. For what looked like a painfully long climb, there was no shortage of smiles and thanks from the cyclists.
    Theres a few photos here:
    https://www.facebook.com/adambendingphoto
    or
    http://adambending.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

Big thanks to all involved in running of super events over weekend .Started the 12 k family spin with wife and 3 kids on the Saturday and great day had by all .Sign in etc ,start ,water stops and finish very good .The chap(sorry didn't get his name) on the microphone at the start and finish on both days really added to the occasion and heard that he didn't finish till the last cyclist from the 160 k crossed the line.Registration set up excellent and well organised,on route stewards did top class job in difficult weather conditions for most of 160 km spin.On the first climb Tickinor which was tough going my abiding memory of this was a lady volunteer standing on side of the road close to the top telling everyone to "Dig in ,nearly there ", fair play to this woman as encouragement was badly needed at that stage and the same lady was at secong food stop before mahon falls out food.Bit long winded I know but thanks to all involved and will be back for sure next year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jmdsk

Does anyone who the cameraman was on the back of the motorbike after Ardmore on the 100km Heritage route

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

And another think you to everyone for such a great day out. I completed the 100k in 5 hours, would have liked to have finished in 4.5, but hadn't put in enough training. My longest continuous spin with my most vertical gain - was fast asleep in bed at half eight that night. Big thank you to all the volunteers who turned out in horrible conditions who clapped, cheered and warned of upcoming hazards, fed us and poured welcome cups of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

jmdsk wrote: »
    Does anyone who the cameraman was on the back of the motorbike after Ardmore on the 100km Heritage route

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Junior wrote: »
    Yes

Oh do tell us more. I want name and addresses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jmdsk

Junior wrote: »
    Yes

Do you have contact details for him or do you know if he posted pictures anywhere.
    He took quite a few of my son and would love to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Hutch

Hello all, just looking at this thread regarding SKT jerseys. I have a L size, I haven't even tried it on yet as I know it is too small. I normally wear XL or XXL. So, if anyone wants to swop. Preferably unworn (or certainly washed). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ where are you based? I still have that xl. Unworn. Happy to swap if convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

fits wrote: »
    ^ where are you based? I still have that xl. Unworn. Happy to swap if convenient.

He's in Waterford but I'll be in Glasnevin over the weekend if you're Dublin based I can do a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Hutch

To fits, I'm in Waterford. Happy to do a swop for XL size, presuming yours is 2014 shirt? Ill cover post costs at my side, if you haven't already exchanged. When I figure out how to send private messages I'll send a postal address if it suits. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement