Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Robinson always looks to me like he's not going to go...then bangs it out. Thought he had a good run...shame about all the falls.

AI have put in an appeal according to twitter.

What are they appealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

There is an appeal in for Ciaran, we will update you as soon as we have more information #Zurich2014

I think he was pushed by the guy who came 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They've had the medal ceremony. They're not going to change the result now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Itziger wrote: »
    What are they appealing?
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    They've had the medal ceremony. They're not going to change the result now.

Different reasons on twitter. JTG says based on too many in the final and that it won't change the medal positions.

Would Ciaran have been there if there was less fastest loser spots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Different reasons on twitter. JTG says based on too many in the final and that it won't change the medal positions.

There was only meant to be 12 in the final but 2 were added, BBC mentioned why, think it was something to do with falling in the semi, how ironic that would be if that was the reason..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Are the barriers in the women's steeplechase smaller than the mens?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Appeal, which was against Bustos of Spain and would not have changed medals, was rejected.

Twelve in the final is pretty standard these days. Two fallers were added to the final, as the rules allow, to make fourteen. If they were added at the expense of fastest losers then COL would have been eliminated.

Normally if extra runners are added to a final you just get on with it. If you don't want a Beechers' Brook situation then you know what to do: run faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

andyman wrote: »
    What a scumbag. He only got that break because of the chaos behind and he celebrates and takes the piss like that.

Why would he not celebrate? He just won a major championship. The decision to strip him of the steeple medal was a joke, he should have been punished with a fine but he won it fair and square. The "rules are rules" brigade get on my tits, everyone knows who the best steeple chaser in Europe is. What he did was wrong and disrespectful and he should be sanctioned but he is the rightful Champion and the decision to strip him of the title brings the sport into disrepute far more than anything he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Another Mo show coming up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Another slow, boring race which will be reduced to a 400m sprint. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

pconn062 wrote: »
    Another slow, boring race which will be reduced to a 400m sprint. :(

Your crystal ball is working well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

shiibata wrote: »
    Slightly off topic here but as we are talking about 4x400 presently, why do 400m races not take place in Ireland until u17 level?

It's a very tough race, younger athletes would tend to run it more like an 800. Bear in mind that u17 athletes are 15 or 16.

I think in general, that the best way to develop a 400m runner is to start them off training for 200m and move up, so I wouldn't have a huge problem with there not being 400s for 12/13/14 year olds. There are 300m and 200m races for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Awful race, so boring and 14:05? Time and time again these guys just seem to be happy to jog behind Mo and the let him kick off with 400m to go.

Good to see the 5k guys sticking it to a less than 100% Farah.

Not!

Now that's the way to throw the Javelin, kids!

On Eurosport, if anyone's watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

It's a very tough race, younger athletes would tend to run it more like an 800. Bear in mind that u17 athletes are 15 or 16.

I think in general, that the best way to develop a 400m runner is to start them off training for 200m and move up, so I wouldn't have a huge problem with there not being 400s for 12/13/14 year olds. There are 300m and 200m races for them.

My own lad is mainly an 800m runner, ran the 200 and 800 recently in the All Irelands.. He cant wait to get at the 400m's though... can do it in the schools next year right enough, they have it at Intermediate level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Relay splits

GREGAN Brian 45.7 (6)
    ENGLISH Mark 45.0 (7)
    MORRISSEY Richard 45.55 (3)
    BARR Thomas 45.31

Some run from the lads and a deceptively fast split from English

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Now that's the way to throw the Javelin, kids!

On Eurosport, if anyone's watching it.

That Finn is some beast. Just threw 88.01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

5000 was fairly pathetic tbh. Was expecting a slow race with Mo Farah in it but didn't thinnk it would be that slow! His tactics are so predictable, a slow pace the whole way and bust out a fast last lap. If someone dares to pick it up early in the race Mo will run too the front to slow it down again as everyone else nearly trips behind him. Granted he probably would have won anyway but I'm surprised the likes of the Kenyans are still falling for these tactics. Delighted for Andy Vernon he's having some year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

ecoli wrote: »
    Relay splits

GREGAN Brian 45.7 (6)
    ENGLISH Mark 45.0 (7)
    BARR Thomas 45.31

Wow, that was indeed deceptively quick. It had looked like he lost ground, thought the NR time then suggested all legs must have been fast.

Relay splits

GREGAN Brian 45.7 (6)
    ENGLISH Mark 45.0 (7)
    BARR Thomas 45.31

That's a great leg from blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Relay splits

GREGAN Brian 45.7 (6)
    ENGLISH Mark 45.0 (7)
    BARR Thomas 45.31

Would have put money on Morrissey having the quickest time. Great running by all four lads.

Disappointed for the Netherlands there. :( Schippers just couldn't get a hand on the baton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Anyone know what happened the Swiss in the womens relay?

pa4 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened the Swiss in the womens relay?

Twitter:
    Poor Mujinga Kabundji. After a hugely successful championships, she lost the baton in her start and the race was over from there. Sad to see

Ireland finished 24th in the placings table. Pretty good out of about 54 nations, most of whom spend a lot more on Athletics than we do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

time for a clearout at the BBC

colin jackson is the only one who should stay imo for his technical input

I know they've had a successful championships but the nationalistic and fawning commentary is nauseating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

BBC are a pain in the hole. People who complain about RTE sports coverage amaze me its best by far. Last night on Match of The Day they didnt show the only exciting incident to happen all day, the pitch invader taking the free kick in the spurs hammers game. I suppose it was the "morally responsible" thing to do or some high brow ****e like that. They can take their bland, wishy washy, no risk garbage and shove it. I dont mind them taking up their own athletes, thats only natural, but they mess up coverage of other events fawning over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

ultrapercy wrote: »
    BBC are a pain in the hole. People who complain about RTE sports coverage amaze me its best by far. Last night on Match of The Day they didnt show the only exciting incident to happen all day, the pitch invader taking the free kick in the spurs hammers game. I suppose it was the "morally responsible" thing to do or some high brow ****e like that. They can take their bland, wishy washy, no risk garbage and shove it. I dont mind them taking up their own athletes, thats only natural, but they mess up coverage of other events fawning over them.

MoTD & overall analysis on Beeb is very bland alright, never say, "he was rubbish",

Never like to upset the apple-cart.

Advertisement