Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

great to see the Irish lads in final.

i enjoy watching major championships, but im noob in times department.

from what i see in other threads Ireland has 6th fastest team, to catch Germans in 3rd they need maybe second more..

is that asking too much or can they do it?

i know there is another 100 reasons but just wondering if medal is way too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Not one mention from feidhlim Kelly/ JTG on fionnuala finishing 10th in the marathon. Is it sour grapes because she got to run and not their buddy mick clohisey? They obviously didn't agree with her going but to not even mention it is a bit silly on their part if they are to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Not one mention from feidhlim Kelly/ JTG on fionnuala finishing 10th in the marathon. Is it sour grapes because she got to run and not their buddy mick clohisey? They obviously didn't agree with her going but to not even mention it is a bit silly on their part if they are to report.

What do we expect? Whilst no one is really giving athletics in Ireland any decent coverage Feidhlim Kelly/ JTG are not a serious sports media outlet - they're just a podcast from someone's living room. It's very obvious listening to their broadcasts and coverage that they have a clique of friends who recieve all of their attention. Very disappointing that they would ignore a really great performance by Fionnuala.

What do we expect? Whilst no one is really giving athletics in Ireland any decent coverage Feidhlim Kelly/ JTG are not a serious sports media outlet - they're just a podcast from someone's living room. It's very obvious listening to their broadcasts and coverage that they have a clique of friends who recieve all of their attention. Very disappointing that they would ignore a really great performance by Fionnuala.

I enjoy the podcast it's good, but it was extremely biased not to report on fionnuala. They crib and moan about about athletics not being a mainstream sport but don't report one of our best performances?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

RTE commentary is woeful especially George Hamilton. He sounds like he is looking into a field of thistles.

Please put Jerry or Sonia in the commentary team please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

rom wrote: »
    RTE commentary is woeful especially George Hamilton. He sounds like he is looking into a field of thistles.

Please put Jerry or Sonia in the commentary team please.

Agreed, desperate... I've turned over to the mainland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Does nobody here have Eurosport?

I haven't been annoyed by their commentary even once. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

pajor wrote: »

Wish you posted that earlier !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

pajor wrote: »

You're a very tolerant man then. Tim Hutchings and his verbal tics make me very upset. I regularly shout at him as he repeats the same handful of phrases every 30 seconds.

George is appalling, it's true. He was baffled by the rules of the high jump the other day. I also shout at George a lot.

I'm disappointed in Greg Allen. He's a good reporter on radio, but he is not doing a good job commentating. Very hesitant and confused at times. At least Tony O'Donoghue is finally absent. He and George have ruined 30+ years of athletics for me.

Kathryn Davis, stalwart of athletics she may be, is a cringey interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Three very good runs by the Irish men in the marathon: particularly by Sean Hehir who went with the leading group from the start and moved through the field in the second half. The course with the laps and the hill made the race very exciting. The laps created a crowd and the hill made the results very uncertain as runners suffered as they got tired and positions changed substantially.

• Advertisement

A great run by hehir, it's a pity pollock got injured would loved to have seen what he was capable of on the day. 7th place for the irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Fairly harsh stuff. JTG do not get paid for what they do. They are doing more than pretty much anybody to promote the sport.

As an aside, I do not believe FB's performance was "really great". She came 10th. In the 10000m she was 8th. Why is the 8th place seen as average, yet the 10th in the marathon is bigged up. Why is there such glorification of the marathon? You see it again with the men's. People hyping up a 20th place. If you come 20th in a track event nobody cares.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Fairly harsh stuff. JTG do not get paid for what they do. They are doing more than pretty much anybody to promote the sport.

As an aside, I do not believe FB's performance was "really great". She came 10th. In the 10000m she was 8th. Why is the 8th place seen as average, yet the 10th in the marathon is bigged up. Why is there such glorification of the marathon? You see it again with the men's. People hyping up a 20th place. If you come 20th in a track event nobody cares.

You can dress it up all you like they should at least have mentioned it. She ran the fourth fastest irish time on her debut on a tough course. You honestly don't think that's a great performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yes they probably should have mentioned her alright, but their main area is the track events, for which they do invaluable work, week in week out up and down the country, all unpaid. So I certainly wouldn't be critical of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You can dress it up all you like they should at least have mentioned it. She ran the fourth fastest irish time on her debut on a tough course. You honestly don't think that's a great performance?

It was decent. As I said, she went better in the 10K. Becoming the 4th fastest ever only highlights how weak our all time standings are. Sure Sarah Lavin ran a time in the hurdles than only 2 Irish women have ever run faster than. Nobody hyping her result up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

GO IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!

Have to agree that GoTheDistance is very harsh. I presume that JTG has resulted in him writing for the examiner and paid for doing so.

Why is there such glorification of the marathon?
    Why did you run a marathon. Its the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Harsh on JTG. They have rectified in the last 30mins on Twitter. They say celebrations curtailed their reporting. Fairly believable TBH

mad len for a medal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

FFS

• Advertisement

:eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

mad len for a medal

I think you jinxed him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

carnage in the 1500

that was horrid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Devastating. Brave run from Robinson. So, so close.

that was horrid

Awful. Pretty impressive from Robinson after all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Oh no, that was awful to look at, so close for Robinson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

mother of god, the lack of ability of the Eurosport commentators to read the names of the two Irish athletes is boggling. Even on the replay stuck to Robinson being the one who fell!! And again there now!

EDIT: Also what on earth is the problem with the winner celebrating? Distasteful? Would you shut up commentator. He destroyed the field and could have celebrated 300 metres out.

Advertisement