Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Actually, on a serious note, does anyone here work with the SU on their first year handbook things? Probably too late for this but I learned two things this week that I thought should be common knowledge. (Probably are, but I've not heard of them in six years so...)

First, friend of mine said I could say this here, that it turns out if you're prescribed medication by the psychiatrist in the college, the medication is free (might just be antidepressants?). They have some sort of arrangement with one of the pharmacies in the town. She would've gone a few years ago only she was afraid of the cost of medication so never bothered, to the detriment of her own mental health. Strikes me that more people might avail of the service if they knew about the costs (or lack thereof).

Second, the doctor at the hotel, Gaffney, is 20 quid a visit with your student card! If I'd known that I would've gone there many times instead of waiting three bloody weeks for an appointment. Could've done with knowing this a long time ago.

Maybe worth copying into the 'things first years should know' thread... wherever that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think whatever your work was may have broken something inside your noggin.
    The only time I've ever been bored has been in work. Any job I've had I'd to do all the crap other people told me to do. Not working I can do all the things I actually want to do.

My last job frequently involved me getting paid to go on fun fair rides....

Ah. Right. Well that puts a slightly different perspective on things. Haha.

Ah. Right. Well that puts a slightly different perspective on things. Haha.

I also got paid to eat in the hard rock, que up to try see ed sheeran,go shopping and watch 22 jump street :P

Anyone know what its like to work in Chill in Manor mills ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I also got paid to eat in the hard rock, que up to try see ed sheeran,go shopping and watch 22 jump street :P

Anyone know what its like to work in Chill in Manor mills ?

In comparison to that, every job is crap!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finally gave up the ghost and threw in the towel for now, free at last free at last, thank gawd amighty I'm free at last.

Translation I quit, am deferring indefinitley as if and when I do come back I will be paying to repeat both Greek/Roman and History so so long for now NUI Maynooth, you hardly knew me, good luck to everyone still grinding away, see you some other time.

PS. Will probably still lurk around these parts for a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Finally gave up the ghost and threw in the towel for now, free at last free at last, thank gawd amighty I'm free at last.

Translation I quit, am deferring indefinitley as if and when I do come back I will be paying to repeat both Greek/Roman and History so so long for now NUI Maynooth, you hardly knew me, good luck to everyone still grinding away, see you some other time.

PS. Will probably still lurk around these parts for a while.

This may be an odd thing to say but congrats. It's such a hard decision to make and it takes guts to do it. I hope that it'll work out for you.

Keep hanging around though. At this stage most of us aren't in the college at all!

Interesting fact: Of the three history experts who were Drs shown on BBC's Who Do You Think You Are tonight, all studied and lectured in Maynooth before their current positions. Looks like we're not all that bad a university!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Well done Bandit, it's not an easy decision to make, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know when registration opens up for continuing students, it's been a while since I've had to do it and have forgotten.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Fair play Bandit! Best of luck for whatever you do this year. I wish I could make big decisions like that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

Does anyone know when registration opens up for continuing students, it's been a while since I've had to do it and have forgotten.

Late August / early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Usually the 1st Friday in September

I asked that in the registration office the other day and the couldn't tell me 'cos they didn't know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thrifty post for any SU folks for next years Beach Bash, Tesco are selling bags of sand for €.87c a bag.

Do I get a prize for weirdest post ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

So repeats are killing me slowly, thought id say hi... just for a bit of procrastination fun :) so um hi!

I asked that in the registration office the other day and the couldn't tell me 'cos they didn't know :pac:
    The schedule's online, https://www.nuim.ie/records/student-registration

It's under 'Registration Schedule'.

EDIT: And before someone asks about continuing students, there's a section called 'Continuing Students'. There's even a section for 'Repeating Students'.

Regarding registering online if you've applied for a grant but have yet to find out if you're going to get it yet or not what do you do ?

Regarding registering online if you've applied for a grant but have yet to find out if you're going to get it yet or not what do you do ?

Don't pay for now and ring the grants office to explain. They can be fair if they know that you're waiting

Don't pay for now and ring the grants office to explain. They can be fair if they know that you're waiting

Will they still register me in that case even if I dont pay ?

Just 'cos I cant fully submit my application for the grant until my sister registers for college and I've proof of that and vice versa for her

• Advertisement

Just 'cos I cant fully submit my application for the grant until my sister registers for college and I've proof of that and vice versa for her

You can still register. Paying fees just affects student card access stuff I think.

Yeah, I think you just won't get access to things like the library, borrowing books, stuff like that. Or if you're in a department that requires you to swipe a door anywhere, you're screwed. You should still be able to access Moodle for class notes etc. and no-one's going to stop you going to lectures.

Yeah, I think you just won't get access to things like the library, borrowing books, stuff like that. Or if you're in a department that requires you to swipe a door anywhere, you're screwed. You should still be able to access Moodle for class notes etc. and no-one's going to stop you going to lectures.

Right well I need to be able to do all that so if I was to pay half the fees how quickly would I get it refunded after grant approval ?

Right well I need to be able to do all that so if I was to pay half the fees how quickly would I get it refunded after grant approval ?

Could be a while I think. You'll have to wait for the college to be paid by SUSI/the council first. I'm still waiting for my fees to be fully paid.

Could be a while I think. You'll have to wait for the college to be paid by SUSI/the council first. I'm still waiting for my fees to be fully paid.

*sigh* Why can't it just be simple :(

*sigh* Why can't it just be simple :(

You could try call them and explain the story to see if you could get your card set up. They can be understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

You will be able to register with no problems, but your student card will not give you library access. Instead they give you a piece of red paper with your registration details on it and you will have to show it instead of the student card. Once you get your fees paid, they will activate your card.

You will be able to register with no problems, but your student card will not give you library access. Instead they give you a piece of red paper with your registration details on it and you will have to show it instead of the student card. Once you get your fees paid, they will activate your card.

Still wish it could be simpler like I could pay them with a bag of chips or something.... :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

By some miracle does anyone here have the 2013 MT201S repeat paper? Unfortunately they aren't available online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Still wish it could be simpler like I could pay them with a bag of chips or something.... :L

Wish I had a bag of chips. Mmmmmmmmmm chips!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement