Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss refused to pay me €20 overtime!

Options
  • 09-08-2014 6:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

Recently finished working at a convenience store. During my time working there, my shifts normally finished 10-15 minutes late as the Indian who stated after me always arrived late. I was not on the clock in/out system. The first few weeks, the manager paid me for this overtime when mentioned it, as I'd expect. Then one week when I mentioned it, he said 'just keep keeping a list of all the overtime'. Of course I kind of got a bad feeling about this as it inevitably meant presenting a unexpected large figure to him. Since I thought I could trust him, I stupidly arrived to work on time every day.

On the last day I got the impression that he might have been avoiding me a bit. Yet before he left, he gave me my 2nd last pay slip and I clarified this with him, when he said that I could let him know whatever overtime I did by text and that it would be mailed to my address with my P45, along with due payments. The final pay slip incorrectly stated 17 hours instead of 22. I emailed him about this along with a few other errors made and about the hours for the final payment.

Of course in the email, I also mentioned the total unpaid overtime, which came to 2 hrs 30 mins. It was this that he had the problem with! Then by text, he told me to 'grow up', and that he wasn't going to pay me for 5 minutes here and there. I mailed him saying that it wasn't 5 minutes here and there, and that it was usually 15 minutes, and that at the end of the day, it was my time which he owed me for. He then texted back saying 'I'm not arguing with you, I'm just telling how it is'.

Me "Since you're being difficult, I will have to call by to discuss this"
    Boss "Please do! I'm not being difficult, yet!"

I thought I would have got the opportunity to talk to him the last day, but I should have made a point in doing so. I can't imagine him being as difficult with me at face value, so it would be interesting to see how he'd react if he's willing to discuss a matter that he is in the wrong on!! Is he really holding all the cards here? I mean he is legally obliged to pay me for this money whether he can or can't get away with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

He sounds like a typical paki shopkeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Did you have a contract or employee handbook that stated what the procedure was around shift changeovers? Without the clocking system you've basically no evidence to speak of.

It pretty much becomes a case of your word over his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

No, he's white and Irish. There's just an Indian guy who works there... you know for the anti-social hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jesus......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

€20 eh? You might need to go to an employment tribunal.

• Advertisement

Did you have a contract or employee handbook that stated what the procedure was around shift changeovers? Without the clocking system you've basically no evidence to speak of.

It pretty much becomes a case of your word over his.
    Well he probably realised that he was wrong when I emailed back, but I can understand how it's hard to admit when you're wrong. He's normally fair, but I guess if his ego is involved, that will take priority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Why don't you just leave on time? If he says anything say you're not being paid for working extra. Let him sort it out with the worker who is always late.

Not sure why his nationality is important either.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Shouldn't that be 20 dollars if you're working in a convenience store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

No, he's white and Irish. There's just an Indian guy who works there... you know for the anti-social hours.

Sioux or Apache?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

If he wont pay you,go in & take €20 worth of stuff from the shop while he is looking at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Recently finished working at a convenience store. During my time working there my shifts normally finished 10-15 minutes late as the Indian who stated at after me always arrived late.

Why do you feel the need to mention that he's Indian?

Why don't you just leave on time? If he says anything say you're not being paid for working extra. Let him sort it out with the worker who is always late.

Not sure why his nationality is important either.
    Well you'd want some nerve to just leave, without anyone to man the shop.... I don't know if that would make matters any better. Besides, he didn't have a problem with it first few weeks

fathead82 wrote: »
    If he wont pay you,go in & take €20 worth of stuff from the shop while he is looking at you.
    What could I possibly want from a convenience store that's actually going to bring me any good? Unless I'm dumb enough to buy scratch cards or cigarettes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Why hasn't your boss addressed the problem of the guy that's always late? That should be priority.

I'd leave once hours are over, it then becomes the other guys problem and it should be quickly resolved.

Not getting why you have to mention that the person on the shift after yours is Indian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Do you really want to fcuk up the chance of getting a good reference for the sake of twenty euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Kill him with your shock producing mamarries OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

€20 eh? You might need to go to an employment tribunal.

The High Court would be better I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Any time I felt someone wasn't paying me enough I took extra from the till.

I wasn't being scummy though, if I thought they were paying me too much I would put money into the till.

Not getting why you have to mention that the person on the shift after yours is Indian.
    okay, point taken. That's not the issue here

• Advertisement

Do you really want to fcuk up the chance of getting a good reference for the sake of twenty euro?
    I think that ship might have already sailed based on the way I was firm with him in the emails

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

Santa Cruz wrote: »

European court of human rights, better again. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's this kind of attitude that allows employers to not follow numerous employment laws in Ireland. So many Irish employees don't fight or seemingly care for their rights, public servants aside obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I think that ship might have already sailed based on the way I was firm with him in the emails

"Firm emails"? I'd say your old boss is seeking legal advice now.
    The time to sort this out was not after you stopped working for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This happens to everyone who works, sometimes you get out a bit later because you need to tie up loose ends or do the right thing in terms of the customer. If i do anything up to 20 minutes, I'll forget about it. If its anything more than that, I advise my manager and take time in lieu (i'll leave half an hour earlier the next day, for example).

I wouldn't go looking for 15 minutes here and there in terms of money or time off. Its not the sort of thing an employer wants to hear.

Saying that, you're not wrong and yea I suppose you're entitled to the money but for the sake of 20 quid, you're probably never going to get work in that place again.

I'd have been pushing for the guy who replaces you to get a bollocking so it stopped happening, rather than looking for the money.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    He obviously knows what he's doing and has a better idea of what the odds are, of him getting away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's this kind of attitude that allows employers to not folow numerous employment laws in Ireland. So many Irish employees don't fight or seemingly care for their rights, public servants aside obviously.

I've fought for my rights to the point of taking an employer to court, while still in their employ. I'm also not a fool, and know how to pick my battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

What could I possibly want from a convenience store that's actually going to bring me any good? Unless I'm dumb enough to buy scratch cards or cigarettes!!

Well you were dumb enough to stay 15 minutes late every day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

There's just an Indian guy who works there... you know for the anti-social hours.

:-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gerrie Nel will be available in the next few weeks OP, maybe give him a bell or fire him off an email. See if he'll help you out?? Worth a try.

Advertisement