Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss refused to pay me €20 overtime!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

While some on here seem be rolling eyes at €20 - you would be surprised how much that is when things are tight
    BandyMandy wrote: »
    European court of human rights, better again. ;-)

nah - bring him to THE HAGUE !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Go into the store and have a big ****e just inside the front door. Tell him to pay up or there's more to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Thins kind of stuff happens all the time, Used to Work in a place Doing IT support. Could be held up on the phone 5-10 min here and there when supposed to be at lunch. You would get the manager running over when you came back late the 5-10 mins, I would say I'm not late I took the 1 hr that I am entitled to. Used to come in Early most of the time and start working at that time, Yet same manager would be going nuts if you were 3 mins late in the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

fathead82 wrote: »
    Well you were dumb enough to stay 15 minutes late every day..
    I saw it as if I didn't have a choice! Are you saying you'd leave with no one to attend to the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I saw it as if I didn't have a choice! Are you saying you'd leave with no one to attend to the shop?

In this day and age yes, But i know how you feel. Your the only one though there that seemed to feel responsible about this. Managers job to have staff in on time. I would feel the same way, But it’s nice to think of just walking out when your time is up.

• Advertisement

In this day and age yes, But i know how you feel. Your the only one though there that seemed to feel responsible about this. Managers job to have staff in on time. I would feel the same way, But it’s nice to think of just walking out when your time is up.
    I'll admit that I feel like getting my own back. Like if I just came in some day and pull a bluff on the cashier to do a pay out from the till.

He knows I must be pissed. I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of an ex-employee over €20, but he must think he's untouchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Offer him a motorboating experience for the €20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Not getting why you have to mention that the person on the shift after yours is Indian.

Jesus Christ who cares. Mentioning someone's nationality when describing an incident isn't a sign someone's a racist bastard, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

BandyMandy wrote: »
    European court of human rights, better again. ;-)

Jesus Wept..... please keep up, the co-worker was Indian so how could you go to the European Court Of Human Rights? That doesn't make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

FTA69 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ who cares. Mentioning someone's nationality when describing an incident isn't a sign someone's a racist bastard, relax.

I know.. Jeez if we cant even mention people's nationality any more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I know a lot of people like this...they know that most people won't fight them tooth and nail over 5, 10, 25, 50 quid or whatever. So they pull stuff like this.

The worst thing is, they usually get away with it.

You can keep after him / file a complaint / do whatever - but at the end of the day, you'll end up spending countless hours fighting for the 20 he owes you. If you get it at all. Sure, you are wasting his time, but he secretly loves it. It's like a game for him.

I had friends in college who would ask to borrow something / borrow some money and then, turn it into a game of how long they could go without repaying you. They'd perpetually mooch all they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

This boss is a cowboy take his horse and sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

thelad95 wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to mention that he's Indian?

Whoop di ****ing doo, he said where yer man is from. Why take issue with that? Are you looking to be offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭CFlat

mikehunts wrote: »
    This boss is a cowboy take his horse and sell it on.

I don't think he's a cowboy cause if he was you'd imagine he wouldnt have Indians working for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Grow up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

He sounds like a typical paki shopkeeper

you would no this living in london/pakistan ; )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

Scummy as the boss sounds, you'd spend more than €20 chasing it up.

Sorry OP, but it might be just best to let it go.

If you go the route of small claims court can you claim expenses too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Scummy as the boss sounds, you'd spend more than €20 chasing it up.

Sorry OP, but it might be just best to let it go.

If you go the route of small claims court can you claim expenses too?

Costs 25 euro to take a case there so not worth it to be honest plus the time and energy.

I got ripped off a few times myself OP by employers count yourself lucky it was only 20 euro. One employer owed me almost a week and got away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You do need to grow up. 10 or 15 minutes here and there! I often would get delayed at work for the guts of a hour several times a week and could have perhaps 20 hours a month done over and above what I was paid for - it was just part of the job or what you did to help things out. Do you think you were in the public service or something? Maybe you should have been paying union membership so they could take up your grievances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'll give you €20 for the security code for the store. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You do need to grow up. 10 or 15 minutes here and there! I often would get delayed at work for the guts of a hour several times a week and could have perhaps 20 hours a month done over and above what I was paid for - it was just part of the job or what you did to help things out. Do you think you were in the public service or something? Maybe you should have been paying union membership so they could take up your grievances.

If you want to donate 10 or 15 minutes of your free labour to your employer, that's your business. But if I'm being paid hourly, you'd better pay me for the hours I work.

If he left 15 minutes early and told his boss he worked the full hour, he'd probably get fired.

UCDVet wrote: »
    If you want to donate 10 or 15 minutes of your free labour to your employer, that's your business. But if I'm being paid hourly, you'd better pay me for the hours I work.

If he left 15 minutes early and told his boss he worked the full hour, he'd probably get fired.
    It's interesting to think that he completely trusts in me to deal with large amounts of cash, day in, day out, but yet he'll pick a fight with me over €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

If the boss did it to the indian, he'd probably sioux. This rogue company is scalping you Boobs, they probably have apache record when it comes to paying overtime and are taking teepee. The real question is how you will recover your lost wages, How?

might as well try, sure it's feckin €20 anyway, you'd drop it when jarred and whinge less..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

If the boss did it to the indian, he'd probably sioux. This rogue company is scalping you Boobs, they probably have apache record when it comes to paying overtime and are taking teepee. The real question is how you will recover your lost wages, How?

Have a pow wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

He sounds like a typical paki shopkeeper

Interesting to note who thanked this odious post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Tarzana wrote: »
    Interesting to note who thanked this odious post.

I'd say it was meant as a joke that went a bit askew. I doubt there was much odious involved. Maybe there was, but that poster isn't here to fight his corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Get your money in stock. Do it while he is there

Few cases of red bull from the shelves, something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Boobs has reservations,just put on a brave face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

To all the people arguing that the OP should "grow up" because it was only 15 minutes "here and there." It wasn't "here and there," it was ten times - ten times that she did it unpaid. She did it over and over and over again, all because of another employee not doing their job properly, and while her boss took full advantage of her obliging nature, he let the other employee do whatever the f*** they wanted.

Her boss clearly didn't give a flying-f*** about her or her rights, while letting the other employee get away with murder, and I suspect that's what the OP is understandably p***ed off about; not the 20 euro or the "here and there."

Advertisement