Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss refused to pay me €20 overtime!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

You do need to grow up. 10 or 15 minutes here and there! I often would get delayed at work for the guts of a hour several times a week and could have perhaps 20 hours a month done over and above what I was paid for - it was just part of the job or what you did to help things out. Do you think you were in the public service or something? Maybe you should have been paying union membership so they could take up your grievances.
    Your view is in the minority here

If the boss did it to the indian, he'd probably sioux. This rogue company is scalping you Boobs, they probably have apache record when it comes to paying overtime and are taking teepee. The real question is how you will recover your lost wages, How?
    "apache" "teepee"???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sioux or Apache?

He said Indian not Native American :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

This is why I never do overtime for money. You have no control and when it gets paid, the taxman wets his beak. I bill the client and keep a record of the extra time spent. When I have eight hours (or multiples of eight), I ask the boss to add extra days to my holiday entitlement. If questioned, I offer to back out the hours billed to the client.

I get my time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Seriously... He doesn't owe you a thing... You stayed back because your man was late, the boss didn't say do you mind staying an extra hour, it was your choice... Overtime doesn't work the way you think. Staying behind 15 minutes isn't overtime. Being TOLD to stay back 15 minutes is overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

kfallon wrote: »
    Jesus......

What's more embarrassing is that seven people "thanked" that childish and explicitly racist post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Brick, meet Shopfront Window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

the do gooders are strong in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    He said Indian not Native American :P
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Seriously... He doesn't owe you a thing... You stayed back because your man was late, the boss didn't say do you mind staying an extra hour, it was your choice... Overtime doesn't work the way you think. Staying behind 15 minutes isn't overtime. Being TOLD to stay back 15 minutes is overtime.
    If you've ever worked in retail though, you know full well that if she was the only person in the shop and left it empty/closed it exactly on the hour because the other guy wasn't there yet, she would almost certainly be fired or face some form of disciplinary action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you're in professional employment earning a salary, you stay until the project is done etc

If you work in a fcuking shop for minimum fcuking wage per hour, you leave on the dot or you are paid extra, it's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

GrayFox208 wrote: »

The OP has to stay until the Indian arrived. If there was no staff in the shop between 6:00 and 6:15 then at best you have unhappy customers and at worst stock gets carried out the door.

Everyone involved gets sacked by the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your view is in the minority here

That's perfectly fine. Minority views are still views. If there were no views other than that of the majority we would be in a sad state indeed. My view on this matter stood me in good stead over the years and earned me a fantastic living and pension as a result. Not quibbling over a few minutes here and there got me further by far than insisting on overtime that was not overtime. OP just did not leave on the dot. Big deal. Not many jobs allow us just walk away at the stroke of the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I knew covering for the Indian guy would end in a trail of tears!

That's perfectly fine. Minority views are still views. If there were no views other than that of the majority we would be in a sad state indeed. My view on this matter stood me in good stead over the years and earned me a fantastic living and pension as a result. Not quibbling over a few minutes here and there got me further by far than insisting on overtime that was not overtime. OP just did not leave on the dot. Big deal. Not many jobs allow us just walk away at the stroke of the hour.
    Bit most jobs DO pay better than min wage with awkward shift hours on top, and offer more opportunities than basic retail. I tend to put a lot extra into my work also, but when I worked in retail in the past I found out it wasn't worth it as it would not only go unrecognised, but be thanklessly exploited whenever it even was. Of course this might be different for high end retail stuff, but I am talking about garages, supermarkets, etc here where the actual work you do typically has very little relevance to your prospects.

Also, what if the OP injured themselves 10 minutes after their shift ended, but still a few minutes before their co worker arrived, especially if on (timed) camera? Technically I don't believe they are even legally insured to be there beyond the end of their shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tarzana wrote: »
    Interesting to note who thanked this odious post.

Are you going to put them on your list for future reference?? FFS!!

OP, suck it up and make sure you get a good reference that mentions you're willing to go the extra mile.

That will be far more valuable to you in the long run than 20 quid.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    OP, suck it up and make sure you get a good reference that mentions you're willing to go the extra mile.
    If it is a large chain the OP will likely just get a stock "employee X worked here from this date to that date as a shop assistant" letter, and that will be all there is to it. Some of those places don't even allow staff to give references for former employees, just statements of employments like above.

Different if it is a small/family type business of course, but just another example of doing any additional work in certain jobs being pointless beyond personal, unthanked, satisfaction and leaving yourself open to be exploited.

whirlpool wrote: »
    Her boss clearly didn't give a flying-f*** about her or her rights, while letting the other employee get away with murder, and I suspect that's what the OP is understandably p***ed off about; not the 20 euro or the "here and there."
    The interesting thing here is that when he replied to my text saying, "please do drop by", it sounded pretty cocky. If he wasn't willing to discuss it initially then it will be interesting to see how he'll act if he's put in a situation which forces him to justify himself. It will be difficult for him to do so without coming across as an a**hole. Because I've never seen him act in a difficult manner with in the flesh.

BTW, I'm a dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

The interesting thing here is that when he replied to my text saying, "please do drop by", it sounded pretty cocky. If he wasn't willing to discuss it initially then it will be interesting to see how he'll act if he's put in a situation which forces him to justify himself. It will be difficult for him to do so without coming across as an a**hole. Because I've never seen him act in a difficult manner with in the flesh.

BTW, I'm a dude

Questionable, tbh. €20??. Not dudeish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Op, grow up. In your next employment, if someone isn't pulling their weight, kick ass don't cover for them. The way I see it, its the other employee that owes you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

kfallon wrote: »
    Jesus......

Probably not, that's more of a Mexican kind of name.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Sioux or Apache?

tsk tsk, those are NATIVE AMERICANS you are thinking of, not redskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can you not go over his head to somebody higher up in the business? Is he the owner of the whole business, or just a franchise?

If he has his bosses/franchisors to keep happy, he might respond to your expression of your intention to take the matter to them.

osarusan wrote: »
    Can you not go over his head to somebody higher up in the business? Is he the owner of the whole business, or just a franchise?

If he has his bosses/franchisors to keep happy, he might respond to your expression of your intention to take the matter to them.
    That's a thought. It's a Centra store, but I know for a fact that he owns the business and has his own company name for it.

Questionable, tbh. €20??. Not dudeish.
    Then the boss isn't dudeish either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Then the boss isn't dudeish either

Doesn't matter. You've screwed up your chance of getting a good reference for the sake of 20 euro. Hope it was worth it.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. You've screwed up your chance of getting a good reference for the sake of 20 euro. Hope it was worth it.
    It was Centra, doubtful they are allowed to give references if they wanted to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Billy86 wrote: »
    It was Centra, doubtful they are allowed to give references if they wanted to anyway.

He's the owner. Of course he can give references.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SettingSun

OP - you need to chalk this one off to experience and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Stuff like that motivated me to get a better respected job.

Advertisement