Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Headshot wrote: »
    Im a current user of windows 8.1 but will be upgrading the mobo, hence im thinking of going back to windows 7 (I have a spare license) and I dont think I can re use my windows 8 upgrade again

Am I mad to go back? :D
    I did this last week. You just have to change one or two things in the registry once you've installed windows 8 and you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

DARPA taps Lawrence Livermore to develop world's first neural device to restore memory
    The Department of Defense's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) awarded Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) up to $2.5 million to develop an implantable neural device with the ability to record and stimulate neurons within the brain to help restore memory, DARPA officials announced this week.

The research builds on the understanding that memory is a process in which neurons in certain regions of the brain encode information, store it and retrieve it. Certain types of illnesses and injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Alzheimer's disease and epilepsy, disrupt this process and cause memory loss. TBI, in particular, has affected 270,000 military service members since 2000.

The goal of LLNL's work -- driven by LLNL's Neural Technology group and undertaken in collaboration with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and Medtronic -- is to develop a device that uses real-time recording and closed-loop stimulation of neural tissues to bridge gaps in the injured brain and restore individuals' ability to form new memories and access previously formed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

AOC have officially announced their 3440 x 1440 34" monitor, its out in September and priced at £499 Sterling, pretty damn impressive as the LG model goes for £839.99 and it uses the same panel...Now if they could only produce one with G-sync/FreeSync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

glynf wrote: »
    AOC have officially announced their 3440 x 1440 34" monitor, its out in September and priced at £499 Sterling, pretty damn impressive as the LG model goes for £839.99 and it uses the same panel...Now if they could only produce one with G-sync/FreeSync.

OH GOD YES!!! Finally!

first of all though I am getting New GPU, which will be able to run this bad boy, then I am all over this monitor like a fly on ****!

OH GOD YES!!! Finally!

first of all though I am getting New GPU, which will be able to run this bad boy, then I am all over this monitor like a fly on ****!

Lol thought you'd be happy with that, always thought 21:9 would be brilliant for games since I saw a Philips telly years ago.

Think I'll hold off until a g-sync or 120hz (doubt that will happen, seems all these monitors are IPS) one lands.

glynf wrote: »
    Lol thought you'd be happy with that, always thought 21:9 would be brilliant for games since I saw a Philips telly years ago.

Think I'll hold off until a g-sync or 120hz (doubt that will happen, seems all these monitors are IPS) one lands.

well, G-sync is over ratted in my opinion. Plus I would better chop my balls off then sign myself to Nvidia GPUs only. I dont trust them not to bend me over and have a romantic evening with my anus.

120hz is nice, but I would be happy to push out stable 60hz at that resolution. I am not super competitive gamer and I will take IPS panel over 120hz. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Geez to early to read that shadow :eek::eek::eek:
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

game4it70 wrote: »
    Geez to early to read that shadow :eek::eek::eek:
    :P

He is like a modern Yeats, powerful imagery!

• Advertisement

well, G-sync is over ratted in my opinion. Plus I would better chop my balls off then sign myself to Nvidia GPUs only. I dont trust them not to bend me over and have a romantic evening with my anus.

120hz is nice, but I would be happy to push out stable 60hz at that resolution. I am not super competitive gamer and I will take IPS panel over 120hz. :)

Yea, Nvidia don't even give you a peck on the cheek before f**klng you:D

It will be interesting to see if monitor manufacturers go with G-sync, Free-sync or Adaptive sync (the VESA apporved one already inc. on DisplayPort).

I've been running 120hz of buttery smoothness for nearly 2 years now, no way am I going back to a 60hz monitor unless it has some form of frame sync tech. included.

G-sync does not support surround properly yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I went straight from a decent CRT to a 120Hz TN panel. Big drop in colour accuracy, but I really couldn't get used to 60Hz. Even for a gorgeous 21:9 IPS panel, I'd find the transition to the lower refresh rate hard. We need QLED (or whatever other tech is currently being touted as the future of monitors) to get a bleedin' move on!

So true, I had a 20" Dell Back in the day, so sorry I got rid. I have three of these, and find the colours great for a TN. More than good enough for gaming, which is my main use for them.

Ezio have a 240hz VA monitor out, the 240hz bit of a gimmick/sales bull, but it is a proper 120hz panel and its VA. Its a step in the right direction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

80s Computer Hacking: A Supercut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody point me in the direction of a program to convert .mp4 to .mov?

College my friend is in requires video files to be in .mov,awkward b*****ds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I used to use a program called FormatFactory years back for doing things like that

Handbrake is considerably better, but might need a bit of work to get it to work nicely

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jaysus haven't used Handbrake in a long time. That was a great program!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I used it for ripping all of Stargate on DVD back in the day. Took like two weeks. :P Great program though, lots of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea i had great results with it alright

eventually just stopped bothering reencoding stuff, and now just rip 1:1 with makemkv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

anyplace online that i can buy a nice workstation desk? id love a big desk for both my pc and my tv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

anyplace online that i can buy a nice workstation desk? id love a big desk for both my pc and my tv

Got mine from Ikea, love it to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

live in kerry though and i dont think ikea let you buy online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

live in kerry though and i dont think ikea let you buy online :(

Can you ring and order from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

3 4790ks just arrived in the post. If anyone is interested in one give me a shout, will offer a good price on them vs retail prices! Now I gotta test these bad boys out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Gumbi wrote: »
    3 4790ks just arrived in the post. If anyone is interested in one give me a shout, will offer a good price on them vs retail prices! Now I gotta test these bad boys out.

Nice!! :eek:
    Enjoy the speed binning :D

Just got these today. I bought them locally for 74eu though. I was getting like 78kb/s speed in the room with wireless on my ps4... Now I am getting solid 14.8mbit with that yoke wireless. I will try with ethernet cable later.

this little yoke gets 2 thumbs up from me lads. If you need to extend your internet further, then these do a great job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DHB2T44/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1YP991FM9Y1PFZ8Z8ANR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just got these today. I bought them locally for 74eu though. I was getting like 78kb/s speed in the room with wireless on my ps4... Now I am getting solid 14.8mbit with that yoke wireless. I will try with ethernet cable later.

this little yoke gets 2 thumbs up from me lads. If you need to extend your internet further, then these do a great job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DHB2T44/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1YP991FM9Y1PFZ8Z8ANR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Been using mine for years. They tend to go after about a year or so of constant use though. I've found the capacitor in them tends to be the problem. If they stop working open one up and if you see something like this;
    tp201_1-215x300.jpg

you'll know the capacitors gone. Easy fix but just thought I'd let you know.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Been using mine for years. They tend to go after about a year or so of constant use though. I've found the capacitor in them tends to be the problem. If they stop working open one up and if you see something like this;
    tp201_1-215x300.jpg

you'll know the capacitors gone. Easy fix but just thought I'd let you know.

Easy fix for you maybe. I dont know what I am looking at lol. I presume just to buy new ones and solder them back in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Easy fix for you maybe. I dont know what I am looking at lol. I presume just to buy new ones and solder them back in?

Yeah pretty much. I'm still on the first set I bought about 3-4 years ago so the design may have improved and I may be better off just buying a new set when these go on the blink again.

On another topic, how are you finding the PS4? Is it worth picking one up for Destiny alone?

• Advertisement

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much. I'm still on the first set I bought about 3-4 years ago so the design may have improved and I may be better off just buying a new set when these go on the blink again.

On another topic, how are you finding the PS4? Is it worth picking one up for Destiny alone?

He he, I would be the worst person to ask. Since I got wii U I have not turned on my PS4. I still love PS4, but even now I can play all the stuff on PC, that I could be playing on PS4. Plus why should I pay 70eu per game, that I can get for 20eu on PC.
    As for Destiny, I am not really excited about it m8. I was never fan of Halo games, so Bungie is not some sort off Icon of boners. It looks okay and I might pick it up at some point, but I doubt I will bother on launch.
    If you are interested in Destiny, then next gen is the only way to go. Look at this comparising video and PS4 just looks plainly better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement