Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Am I missing something, 35m invested into public building and people want to demolish it? Surely time to object would be at planning stage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    When you go to the new library you'll be able to sit and read a book with one of the, if not the, best views in Dublin.

Reading away and then looking up every now and again will be a great experience.

The old library is a great building but from my, all be it limited experience, it was too small. The times I've been there there's not been enough seats to sit down and read a book.

I don't know if this was forced on us as I presume, granted I do not know fully, that it would have gone through the regular planning controls i.e. people could have objected to it.
    Or pick up a book from the other library and Read it on a bench . Also I'm not to sure of how many seats in the multi million library wil actually have the view you talk about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Oh look, they're objecting to a new development in Dun Laoghaire...

http://www.herald.ie/news/25m-floating-pool-and-urban-beach-plan-is-scaled-back-30343948.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

Probably covered here before, but do they really think the pool would bring in 140,000 additional vistors a year?

The National Acquatic Centre had 813,000 visitors for a year round facility that has a much more substantial infrastructure.

On a nice summer day I'd rather go to Seapoint/Forty Foot/Killiney.
    Not really interested in winter.
    So shoulder seasons only for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭spillit67

No thanks on the urban beach/pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spillit67 wrote: »
    No thanks on the urban beach/pool.

why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Larbre34 wrote: »

Traders in Dun Laoghaire say that customers are being "driven away" by the methadone clinic in the town centre.

Meanwhile, there was also a show of strength at the meeting, as the town's campaign to retain its courthouse moved up a gear.

They want to get rid of the methadone clinic but keep the courthouse :confused:

A classic case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

coylemj wrote: »

Traders in Dun Laoghaire say that customers are being "driven away" by the methadone clinic in the town centre.

Meanwhile, there was also a show of strength at the meeting, as the town's campaign to retain its courthouse moved up a gear.

They want to get rid of the methadone clinic but keep the courthouse :confused:

A classic case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

In fairness the two premises aren't synonymous. The knock on effect of the methadone clinic is pretty much all negative, but the Courthouse is used for all sorts of minor civil business as well as the criminal stuff. The fact the Garda station is right next door gives it a high degree of passive security and in my opinion it doesnt generate much trouble in its environs.

In fairness the two premises aren't synonymous. The knock on effect of the methadone clinic is pretty much all negative, but the Courthouse is used for all sorts of minor civil business as well as the criminal stuff. The fact the Garda station is right next door gives it a high degree of passive security and in my opinion it doesnt generate much trouble in its environs.

Even if the Court House closes, the Garda Station will remain in place.
    Does the Court House really add to a sense of security if you have a big Garda station beside it?
    I think it's the local solicitors who will be inconvenienced by this who are kicking up most of the fuss. Are any others significantly affected?

• Advertisement

Im sure the Courthouse doesnt have too many 'regular' customers so its only when youre sent to Blanchardstown for a parking summons that you'd realise what a pain in the backside of an inconvenience it would be.

Im sure the Courthouse doesnt have too many 'regular' customers so its only when youre sent to Blanchardstown for a parking summons that you'd realise what a pain in the backside of an inconvenience it would be.

Why not just pay the parking fine and save yourself a trip to the courthouse regardless of where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

josip wrote: »
    Why not just pay the parking fine and save yourself a trip to the courthouse regardless of where it is?

Because not everyone who gets summons/fine is in the wrong?

Multiple cases recently where cars in the lanes (Cantwell, Lynch) were ticketed for being in loading bays, despite the spaces not being marked as loading.

Also, for about 2 weeks the wrong names were up on the lanes, meaning all tickets are invalid.

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Because not everyone who gets summons/fine is in the wrong?

Multiple cases recently where cars in the lanes (Cantwell, Lynch) were ticketed for being in loading bays, despite the spaces not being marked as loading.

Also, for about 2 weeks the wrong names were up on the lanes, meaning all tickets are invalid.

Are most of those not resolvable by contacting the private ticketing company directly and appealing?
    I was given a ticket in DL where a meter was out of order, appealed it and the ticket was canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Are most of those not resolvable by contacting the private ticketing company directly and appealing?
    I was given a ticket in DL where a meter was out of order, appealed it and the ticket was canceled.

Some are, but others not so much.. i guess it all depends on the person who reviews the appeal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DL Court is also a small claims court, so very much to the benefit of the wider community to keep it where it is.

I would alright, because frankly lifes too short, but obviously thousands of people try to ignore or avoid fines and eventually end up in Court, besides which there is far more than parking fines being prosecuted in DL court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Has Walters pub closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

ollie1 wrote: »
    Has Walters pub closed down?

seems so

Pity, quite liked it for the occasional sneaky pint.

I think so many of the pubs in the town being in the hands of one certain licence holder has been a bad thing as they all deteriorated.

I never thought Id say it, but get Wetherspoons in there quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Agreed, their arrival in Blackrock has spurred the rest of the village into life in their need to compete.

Not a huge fan of the lack of atmosphere in the place myself, but can't fault their selection of beers and prices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pity, quite liked it for the occasional sneaky pint.

I think so many of the pubs in the town being in the hands of one certain licence holder has been a bad thing as they all deteriorated.

I always felt Walters was just too loud so never went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Anyone recommend a nice restaurant in the area tonight - nothing too fancy but something nice enough. We'll have fish lovers and steak lovers there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You can't beat Toscanas on the sea front.

www.toscana.ie

Kingp35 wrote: »
    You can't beat Toscanas on the sea front.

www.toscana.ie

Thanks

Looks good - maybe on the limits of our price range!

I suppose Hartleys is outside the range then?

I suppose Hartleys is outside the range then?

Yeah - bit on the fancy side possibly too. Maybe I should go to a different area altogether. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

http://www.oliveto.ie/

Ask for a table by the window - overlooks the East pier

Great pizzas but just checked & they do fish & steak too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You could try the Purty Kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

how about Weafer and Cooper in Glasthule?

Advertisement