Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what's the 20c for?

it certainly wouldn't cover the wages of anyone based there. An automate one like in sandycove would be better than a manned one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ted1 wrote: »
    what's the 20c for?

it certainly wouldn't cover the wages of anyone based there. An automate one like in sandycove would be better than a manned one.

It's used as a deterrent to keep junkies etc out of the toilets as they have to pay to use them as well as being put towards the up keep of the toilets themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just a heads up that there's a new Parcel Motel collection point just outside the ferry terminal, might be of use to someone?

https://public.circulator.com/Images/860236459.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/new-36-6m-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-library-building-criticised-as-monstrosity-1.1779199

That "monstrosity" is in the news again.

Do Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Ratepayers Association have an online presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Sindo have given the story a bump again this morning.

I wonder if the new Council have enough independent and non traditional party members, might they vote to pay out the contract and have it demolished? I certainly dont disagree with the calls to do so. Im all for facilities and rejuvenation but they have to be practical, sympathetic and appropriate. What has been built is lazy, failed postmodern rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did the councillors ever actually get to vote on whether that place should be built or not? If they did then I'd like to know who did vote for it, if it was never put to them to decide 'yea or nay' then it shows that having elected councillors is just window-dressing and the council is really run by unelected officials - the same faceless, unaccountable people who get to decide the speed limit on the N11 all the way into UCD and the rates for parking in the borough.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wonder if the new Council have enough independent and non traditional party members, might they vote to pay out the contract and have it demolished? I certainly dont disagree with the calls to do so. Im all for facilities and rejuvenation but they have to be practical, sympathetic and appropriate. What has been built is lazy, failed postmodern rubbish.
    Demolition at this stage is probably futile. That said, the defence of this development on the basis that it's "progress" sounds remarkably like the defence that was made for the ESB building at Fitzwilliam St or the Bunkers at Christchurch.

I have also found it quite interesting to hear canvassing councillors defending the development, while simultaneously bemoaning the lack of funding available for any other facilities in the Dlr CoCo area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Perhaps they could get a two for one monstrosity deal with Geligniteia. Dun Laoghaire SC being the other one of the two.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Perhaps they could get a two for one monstrosity deal with Geligniteia. Dun Laoghaire SC being the other one of the two.

I liked the freudian before your edit ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

The Sindo have given the story a bump again this morning.

Oh Yeah, anything that's modern is rubbish - I'm sick to death of this modernist bashing. I actually saw that building recently (up close and from the East Pier) and I like it and yes, I do think it knits the architectural fabric of the town together quite well - for once, we have something innovative in this country and what do people want to do? - demolish it!

Long live the Central Library!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Middle Man wrote: »
    Oh Yeah, anything that's modern is rubbish - I'm sick to death of this modernist bashing. I actually saw that building recently (up close and from the East Pier) and I like it and yes, I do think it knits the architectural fabric of the town together quite well - for once, we have something innovative in this country and what do people want to do? - demolish it!

Anything building that is modern and has not incorporated ANY method of sustainable / green energy is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Middle Man wrote: »

Its location is wrong, it cuts Dun laoighre in two. Stand on the steps by Oilveti and look towards Dun Laoighre, its gone!!! the library blocks the entire view and as such offer no incentives for people to vernture in to the town or even up towards the pavilion.

its also not a modern building, it resembles the UCD arts blocks.

these are modern buildings https://www.google.ie/search?q=ucd+arts+block&safe=off&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_RR_U56sI6qu7AbEnYGQCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=815#q=modern+buildings&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

what modern material has being used? what separates it from buildings built in the 70's?

these http://archiseek.com/2010/2003-unbuilt-dublin-dun-laoghaire-harbour-carlisle-pier/#.U38Vw9JdVXE could classify as a modern design.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

It would be more correct to describe it as an example of Brutalist architecture rather than Modernist.
    I thought that Dublin City Council had put the final nail in the Brutalist coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A smaller, less imposing building made from glass would have been good. What we have looks like domething out of Stalinsit Russia.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

A smaller, less imposing building made from glass would have been good. What we have looks like domething out of Stalinsit Russia.

In Soviet Dun laoghaire... Books read you!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Who controls Dun Laoghaire council?

You could have a left coilition of Labour, SF and Ind's / pbp.

Cant wait to see them get a budget passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Who controls Dun Laoghaire council?

You could have a left coilition of Labour, SF and Ind's / pbp.

Cant wait to see them get a budget passed!

You're presuming all the independents are left leaning, they aren't.

Labour, FG and Greens plus 1 other could be a workable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How does this enhance the sea front

^ it truly is an epic fail. Id knock it down, I really would. Forget the cost, you have to think of the thing in 50 or 100 years time. They should cut their losses and raze it. And then the Dept of Environment and Local Govt should hold an investigation into the failure of the planning procedure in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Anybody (including private individuals) can initiate a planning judicial review. Obviously DLR would do no such thing. Do you believe that there was a mistake made in the planning process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

^ it truly is an epic fail. Id knock it down, I really would. Forget the cost, you have to think of the thing in 50 or 100 years time. They should cut their losses and raze it. And then the Dept of Environment and Local Govt should hold an investigation into the failure of the planning procedure in this instance.

Epic fail simply because you dislike it or because there is an actual problem with it or with the process used to apply for planning permission? I suspect the former.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Honestly I don't think it's that bad.

It doesn't enhance the sea front but I don't think it takes away, or takes away much, from it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think it's that bad.

It doesn't enhance the sea front but I don't think it takes away, or takes away much, from it either.

Your attitude is typical of the Irish. Something is forced on us and all we can say is "aw shure it ain't that bad" That building is a disgrace. When you think of what they could have built - they could have created a georgian style masterpiece that would have made Dun Laoghaire a must visit destination. Don't forget that we have lost a public park for this. Don't forget either that the existing library at the end of the town is a Carnegie library - donated to the people on condition that it can only ever be used as a library. What are they going to do with it???

markpb wrote: »
    Epic fail simply because you dislike it or because there is an actual problem with it or with the process used to apply for planning permission? I suspect the former.

Both.

Councillors in front of whom the planning reports were placed, have made statements that what they were shown did not at all accurately convey the scale of what was built . That may or may not be true, but there is enough doubt being thrown around to warrant an external examination of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Councillors in front of whom the planning reports were placed, have made statements that what they were shown did not at all accurately convey the scale of what was built . That may or may not be true, but there is enough doubt being thrown around to warrant an external examination of the process.

I wonder if those Councillors are suggesting that they were somehow deceived only in light of the public's negative reaction to the building.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

jpfahy wrote: »
    Your attitude is typical of the Irish. Something is forced on us and all we can say is "aw shure it ain't that bad" That building is a disgrace. When you think of what they could have built - they could have created a georgian style masterpiece that would have made Dun Laoghaire a must visit destination. Don't forget that we have lost a public park for this. Don't forget either that the existing library at the end of the town is a Carnegie library - donated to the people on condition that it can only ever be used as a library. What are they going to do with it???

When you go to the new library you'll be able to sit and read a book with one of the, if not the, best views in Dublin.

Reading away and then looking up every now and again will be a great experience.

The old library is a great building but from my, all be it limited experience, it was too small. The times I've been there there's not been enough seats to sit down and read a book.

I don't know if this was forced on us as I presume, granted I do not know fully, that it would have gone through the regular planning controls i.e. people could have objected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

The usual planning system does not apply to a local authority building within their own jurisdiction.

Aard wrote: »
    I wonder if those Councillors are suggesting that they were somehow deceived only in light of the public's negative reaction to the building.

Precisely the sort of ambiguity that should be examined externally.

cobham wrote: »
    The usual planning system does not apply to a local authority building within their own jurisdiction.

No but there is a process within the planning regulations known as Part 8.

That allows for public consultation and has to draw up an impact report on planning and environmental grounds. Then the Councillors are the ones who approve it or not. As they are generally not qualified in relevant disciplines, and I mean this in terms of any such process across the country, maybe they should no longer be the ones to make the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

jpfahy wrote: »
    When you think of what they could have built - they could have created a georgian style masterpiece that would have made Dun Laoghaire a must visit destination.

You do know that we left the Georgian era behind a couple of centuries ago?

You may not like the building, and we're all entitled to our personal opinion, but that doesn't make it a bad decision. I saw the building for the first time yesterday, and I was fairly impressed. It fits neatly into the existing skyline when I looked back from the pier. Personally, I'd have liked more windows and less walls, but that's just my opinion. It is going to be a fabulous centre of activity for the town, with study facilities, meeting rooms, arts facilities, music rooms and lots more.

And the park will still be there too.

Advertisement