Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just make it attractive (cheap) to people and they'd use electricity for things they use fossil fuels for now.

Nah. Theyll perfect Nuclear Fusion and well still be charged multiple times the cost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

All that will happen there is electricity prices will be made even more expensive.

Also, Moneypoint coal ESB station emits 4.7 million tonnes of CO2 p/a.

I know but a man can live in a fantasy and pretend that electric cars might be cheaper when we know it'll cost the exact same probably more. The sad thing is it will make private transport exclusively for those with means. When people say the gov aim is to get more cars off the road it's pretty obvious they don't mean their own or their friends. The want to squeeze the average person for what they've got and remove his choice.

Nah. Theyll perfect Nuclear Fusion and well still be charged multiple times the cost :D

Nuclear Fusion could be well established for over 100 years and I'm willing to bet we would still insist on burning coal and ignoring it.

If every country was as stubborn as we are with regards to Nuclear power. The coal we burn away wouldn't be near as cheap or available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The problem is that most of our electricity comes from fossil-fuel powered stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just make it attractive (cheap) to people and they'd use electricity for things they use fossil fuels for now.

That's not how Ireland works. We don't make things attractive and we certainly don't make them cheap. We don't encourage and we don't do incentives, all we do is tax and ban, sadly the toxic ideas of the greens didn't go away with that particular brood.
    Unless you are a multinational of course, then the government will lick their arse.
    But as far as Joe Soap is concerned, he could be dying in a ditch for all they care as long as he paid up, the bastard.
    Ripping each other off and doing each other over sadly is ingrained into the Irish mentality. We don't think "how can we work together", we think "how can I get one over on yer man".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Cummins diesel! :cool:

Yuss.... that's the answer to most of the "what engine" question threads anyway/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We can buy their luxury cars 40,50,60k luxury cars, but hey, they can buy our E2 kerrygold!

Well thats not really a fitting comparison isn't it?. Unless over there only a few thousand people buy 1 bar off Kerry Gold every 5 to 10 years which I don't think is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Idbatterim wrote:
    We can buy their luxury cars 40,50,60k luxury cars, but hey, they can buy our E2 kerrygold!.

These stats actually surprised me. VRT really is just a customs charge.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Aussenpolitik/Laender/Laenderinfos/01-Nodes/Irland_node.html
    Germany is one of Ireland’s principal trading partners, ranking third in 2012 with an approximately 7 per cent share of Ireland’s total foreign trade. According to Federal Statistical Office figures, German exports to Ireland were worth approximately EUR 4.7 billion in 2012, putting Ireland in 40th place among Germany’s export destinations. German imports from Ireland were worth around EUR 10.1 billion, which means that Ireland ranked 22nd among the countries of origin.

Germany’s principal exports to Ireland are motor vehicles, chemical products, electronic goods and machinery. Germany’s main imports from Ireland are chemical products, electrical and electronic goods, food and services.
    to the top

We sell alot more than the odd tub of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Does anyone have a news link for this proposal to scrap motor tax and increase fuel tax ?

Personally I don't think it'll happen.
    There were talks of scraping the tv licenceand replacing it with a broadcasting tax, but then they want customer info from upc and sky. .. so they can catch tv licence dodgers.

I don't think the tv licence will go anytime soon, and neither will motor tax.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pa990 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a news link for this proposal to scrap motor tax and increase fuel tax ?

I don't think there is any such proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

Spurgis wrote: »
    hi guys have seen and heard alot of people talking that soon we wont have roadtax just very expensive fuel... is this true??
    and what you all think?
    i think it would be great,,,,
    the more you use the road the more you pay.
    wouldnt stop people from having a 3 liter car and only driving 100milles a week.
    i think this would be great.

Anyone clear this up?
    €1500 coming at me in September/October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

The only way this will happen is if the government can make more money,that's the main job of this government is to extract as much money from tax payers as possible and still get re-elected.
    The government will not do anything because it's makes environmental sense etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

So... What's the basis of this whole thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You've got me there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I guess someone was bored.
    But what the hell thought I, let's do this! (again):D

863903f2fa251f0867cddcb4beb41665_30356.jpg__thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Spurgis wrote: »
    i know it would be very expensive to buy one..thats why im getting some info get a 3l bmw now while they are still cheap and then use it when the system changes. thats my plan :D

You can buy my one so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement