Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road tax

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I don't know how many times it has to be explained on here - motor tax goes into the general revenue pool of the country. It's not "road tax" and does not get set aside for road improvement.

And it's been calculated on here before. The country takes in over €1bn from motor tax alone.

Considering the current budget deficit, losing €1bn/yr in stable income is probably not the first port of call for the government, nor would it be easily replaced.

It goes into the general pot the provide services that the property taxes and water charges should now pay for. It's unfair that people can opt out of contributing by simple not owning a car. They still benefit without contributing. And as you say motor tax is seen as a key money maker. Not an attempt to save the earth. Shift the burden to provide local services into the local property tax. Then everyone pays to provide.

They closed all motor tax offices up north recently. We should too but we won't. Instead we split the motor tax office up and now their is the NDLS and the Tax offices. So much money wasted.

With electric cars in the future they'll have to ween off fuel and motor taxes eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I don't know how many times it has to be explained on here - motor tax goes into the general revenue pool of the country. It's not "road tax" and does not get set aside for road improvement.

And it's been calculated on here before. The country takes in over €1bn from motor tax alone.

Considering the current budget deficit, losing €1bn/yr in stable income is probably not the first port of call for the government, nor would it be easily replaced.
    calm down there, please tell me where I called it "road tax"? I know where the money goes thanks very much but my point was that at least some should be ring fenced for road improvements as there are plenty of roads in this country in a bad state.

You can say what you like about budget deficits and all of that, (a hole that no amount of taxes will fill) but were things done any differently when there was no budget deficit, in the good times?

Weather it's called motor tax or not we should and should of with years had some of the ridiculously high "motortax" we paid be put back into the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

HurtLocker wrote: »

With electric cars in the future they'll have to ween off fuel and motor taxes eventually.

All that will happen there is electricity prices will be made even more expensive.

Also, Moneypoint coal ESB station emits 4.7 million tonnes of CO2 p/a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

visual wrote: »
    I spend quite a bit of time on US Jeep forum
    the amount of guys who want to fit a cummins diesel is unreal. Very few actually do it because the electronics modules in their Jeeps won't support a different engine computer module need for cummins.

But every now and again someone ditches all the OEM modules and goes way out there with a truly custom rig.

Cummins engine is like the holy grail :)

The Ram 1500 with the Fiat 3.0 turbo diesel are flying off the forecourts apparently.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/content/464-what-if-numbers-dont-lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    calm down there, please tell me where I called it "road tax"? I know where the money goes thanks very much but my point was that at least some should be ring fenced for road improvements as there are plenty of roads in this country in a bad state.

You can say what you like about budget deficits and all of that, (a hole that no amount of taxes will fill) but were things done any differently when there was no budget deficit, in the good times?

Weather it's called motor tax or not we should and should of with years had some of the ridiculously high "motortax" we paid be put back into the roads.

Does it really make a difference if the actual notes used to fix roads is ring fenced from motor tax or not If the budget is say 500 million either way?

It's semantics. If it makes people feel better the government could always just say "X amount of motortax is ring fenced for roads"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »
    All that will happen there is electricity prices will be made even more expensive.

Yep, electricity prices will be loaded with taxes and anyone who thinks that motor tax will be abolished if everyone drove electric is as naive as a new born kitten.
    As for the 19th century coal and turf fired power stations, if the government really cared about emissions, they'd go nuclear. Were getting nuclear power from the brits as it is, so it is disingenuous to say we will never use it, we have done so for years.
    Or maybe fusion reactors will be ready by then.
    Going fully hydrogen is the best option, you could cover Ireland in windmills and it would not be enough (more of a figleaf look how green we are project) but using renewables to make hydrogen would be the best way of storing the energy, because the one thing no one seems to grasp about wind is that it doesn't care about demand and if it stops, so do we.

Yep, the key to all this is cheap electricity.
    If electricity were cheap enough I wouldn't burn oil for central heating.
    What sort of messed up place is it where people are burning oil they got delivered to heat their house and others are trying to figure out how to make a car run 500 miles on batteries charged up by a coal station....

The elephant in the room is nuclear.

hi5 wrote: »
    The Ram 1500 with the Fiat 3.0 turbo diesel are flying off the forecourts apparently.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/content/464-what-if-numbers-dont-lie

Only in America is a 3 liter engine described as "eco". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yep, the key to all this is cheap electricity.
    If electricity were cheap enough I wouldn't burn oil for central heating.
    What sort of messed up place is it where people are burning oil they got delivered to heat their house and others are trying to figure out how to make a car run 500 miles on batteries charged up by a coal station....

The elephant in the room is nuclear.

Indeed. But can we make a reactor small enough? I recall years ago reading that the entire country didnt even have the demand of just one plant.

Still, if thats true I dont know why we couldnt export the "overspill".

• Advertisement

Just make it attractive (cheap) to people and they'd use electricity for things they use fossil fuels for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Just make it attractive (cheap) to people and they'd use electricity for things they use fossil fuels for now.

Nah. Theyll perfect Nuclear Fusion and well still be charged multiple times the cost :D

I know but a man can live in a fantasy and pretend that electric cars might be cheaper when we know it'll cost the exact same probably more. The sad thing is it will make private transport exclusively for those with means. When people say the gov aim is to get more cars off the road it's pretty obvious they don't mean their own or their friends. The want to squeeze the average person for what they've got and remove his choice.

Nah. Theyll perfect Nuclear Fusion and well still be charged multiple times the cost :D

Nuclear Fusion could be well established for over 100 years and I'm willing to bet we would still insist on burning coal and ignoring it.

If every country was as stubborn as we are with regards to Nuclear power. The coal we burn away wouldn't be near as cheap or available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The problem is that most of our electricity comes from fossil-fuel powered stations.

That's not how Ireland works. We don't make things attractive and we certainly don't make them cheap. We don't encourage and we don't do incentives, all we do is tax and ban, sadly the toxic ideas of the greens didn't go away with that particular brood.
    Unless you are a multinational of course, then the government will lick their arse.
    But as far as Joe Soap is concerned, he could be dying in a ditch for all they care as long as he paid up, the bastard.
    Ripping each other off and doing each other over sadly is ingrained into the Irish mentality. We don't think "how can we work together", we think "how can I get one over on yer man".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Cummins diesel! :cool:

Yuss.... that's the answer to most of the "what engine" question threads anyway/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We can buy their luxury cars 40,50,60k luxury cars, but hey, they can buy our E2 kerrygold!

Well thats not really a fitting comparison isn't it?. Unless over there only a few thousand people buy 1 bar off Kerry Gold every 5 to 10 years which I don't think is the case.

Idbatterim wrote:
    We can buy their luxury cars 40,50,60k luxury cars, but hey, they can buy our E2 kerrygold!.

These stats actually surprised me. VRT really is just a customs charge.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Aussenpolitik/Laender/Laenderinfos/01-Nodes/Irland_node.html
    Germany is one of Ireland’s principal trading partners, ranking third in 2012 with an approximately 7 per cent share of Ireland’s total foreign trade. According to Federal Statistical Office figures, German exports to Ireland were worth approximately EUR 4.7 billion in 2012, putting Ireland in 40th place among Germany’s export destinations. German imports from Ireland were worth around EUR 10.1 billion, which means that Ireland ranked 22nd among the countries of origin.

Germany’s principal exports to Ireland are motor vehicles, chemical products, electronic goods and machinery. Germany’s main imports from Ireland are chemical products, electrical and electronic goods, food and services.
    to the top

We sell alot more than the odd tub of butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Does anyone have a news link for this proposal to scrap motor tax and increase fuel tax ?

Personally I don't think it'll happen.
    There were talks of scraping the tv licenceand replacing it with a broadcasting tax, but then they want customer info from upc and sky. .. so they can catch tv licence dodgers.

I don't think the tv licence will go anytime soon, and neither will motor tax.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pa990 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a news link for this proposal to scrap motor tax and increase fuel tax ?

I don't think there is any such proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

Spurgis wrote: »
    hi guys have seen and heard alot of people talking that soon we wont have roadtax just very expensive fuel... is this true??
    and what you all think?
    i think it would be great,,,,
    the more you use the road the more you pay.
    wouldnt stop people from having a 3 liter car and only driving 100milles a week.
    i think this would be great.

Anyone clear this up?
    €1500 coming at me in September/October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

The only way this will happen is if the government can make more money,that's the main job of this government is to extract as much money from tax payers as possible and still get re-elected.
    The government will not do anything because it's makes environmental sense etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

So... What's the basis of this whole thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You've got me there.

I guess someone was bored.
    But what the hell thought I, let's do this! (again):D

863903f2fa251f0867cddcb4beb41665_30356.jpg__thumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Spurgis wrote: »
    i know it would be very expensive to buy one..thats why im getting some info get a 3l bmw now while they are still cheap and then use it when the system changes. thats my plan :D

You can buy my one so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement