Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    On the train heading towards killarney and i have to say the scenery is gorgeous...

And by scenery i mean the 3 English girls sitting across from me in short summer dresses!!

Mod: Pics, or 3 month ban! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

mfceiling wrote: »
    On the train heading towards killarney and i have to say the scenery is gorgeous...

And by scenery i mean the 3 English girls sitting across from me in short summer dresses!!
    seen as the tone has been lowered a bit, so many Polish women have incredible legs. to the point I'm completely distracted at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Peterx wrote: »
    Was ambling through the War Memorial muesem in Seoul last week and came across proof that BOD is a time traveller, adding to his many other gifts.
    See attached picture.

He's everywhere. He even boxes for the Samaritans...

mfceiling banned. Let that be a warning to the rest of ye. Cameraphones were invented for a reason.

/pervmod

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Christ. Another Malaysian plane has gone down around the Russia/Ukraine border. 300 people on board. Unlikely anyone survived. Some reports suggesting that it was taken down by a missile.

• Advertisement

Given Amsterdam to KL is a very frequent leg of a trip to Australia, there's a good chance there were Irish people on board.

Complete cluster f*ck of a situation. Things are going to turn very sour.

If it was indeed shot down there's going to be a hell of a row - Ukraine will claim it was separatists using Russian weapons, Russia will claim it was Ukraine themselves. Can see this getting very tense...

RIP to those on board

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

One would imagine satellite imagery will eventually find the culprit. I find the option of Ukraine separatists with Russian weapons most likely. They were just boasting about shooting down two fighters jets...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

BBC are saying the US can prove it was shot down. I suppose you can deduce from that they can pinpoint the geographic origin of the strike and therefore the perpetrator.

Like Buer, I read that the route is popular for those emigrating to Australia so it's possible there were Irish on board.

What a rough week of news. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They'll be able to track where he middle originated from. Separatists claimed they downed a transport plane in the same area around the same time...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My car insurance renewal quote has went up by nearly 150 quid. WTF.

awec wrote: »

Chancers try it every year, if you call them and ask WTF, mention you have a better quote from a competitor, they will usually drop it again and match last year's quote. It's like a little dance I go through every year with Axa, they know they're taking the piss with the increased quote but they profit because enough people don't bother to question it...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Chancers try it every year, if you call them and ask WTF, mention you have a better quote from a competitor, they will usually drop it again and match last year's quote. It's like a little dance I go through every year with Axa, they know they're taking the piss with the increased quote but they profit because enough people don't bother to question it...

How much of this do they check? Like if I phone up are they going to start asking for quote numbers etc?

Chancing b**tards.

How much of this do they check? Like if I phone up are they going to start asking for quote numbers etc?

Chancing b**tards.

What ya wanna do is ring them up and ask for a quote, then ring them again and use a different voice, then ring them again and put on another voice.

Sorted.

This has frustrated me. An increase of 15 quid a month, ok not a lot but it's the principle of it!

awec will not bend the knee to these individuals.

(Probably will in the end)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't go quietly into the night, stand and fight!

You're under no obligation to go with them for next year too so no harm in ringing a few other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭LostArt

As someone who has worked in all types of insurance, general insurance is pretty much horse trading. Make up a quote and if they want you to stay they'll drop theirs.

Chancing b**tards.

They won't ask for details but they might call your bluff and say "ok, we can't match that, xxx is the lowest we can go"... either way, no harm. In my experience they generally tend to drop it for existing customers in order to keep the business.

Just to clarify, has any variable changed? Address? Vehicle? Names on policy? Level of cover?

Buer wrote: »
    Just to clarify, has any variable changed? Address? Vehicle? Names on policy? Level of cover?

Nope!

Everything exactly the same as last year which is what's annoying.

I'll phone them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

As the others have stated, call their bluff. My van insurance is 300 every year and every year they try to put it up. I just call with "been offered 280 for the same cover"...literally drops to that figure or the 300 mark...they're getting no more.

Anyway - Cork is a nice spot. Kinsale lovely.

Saw Peter O'Mahoney. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyway - Cork is a nice spot. Kinsale lovely.

Saw Peter O'Mahoney. :)

You mean this guy?

still_mahoney_smile1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Small, Far Away Part 1 (of 5).

The world of Father Ted.

A really good, and nice, documentary on Father Ted.

The MH17 situation rumbles on. The second black box has been found which will hopefully give a bit more insight into the situation.

It seems almost certain though that the Ukrainian separatists were responsible for shooting down the plane in error. I find it bewildering that something like that could happen. The plane was flying above the exclusion zone so should have been safe. Colossal f*ck up.

I wonder what repercussions there will be. Although initial reports suggested a significant number of Americans on board, this appears to be now unconfirmed with Dutch, Australian, Malaysian and British making up the bulk of the accounted passengers thus far. That will change the overall picture in terms of action.

In an unfortunate twist, a large number of passengers were en route to Melbourne for an AIDS conference. They were among the best minds in the world on the matter apparently and AIDS research has taken a big blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

This is actually happening a lot now a days for some reason and generally you have no option but to move insurer. So just ring a broker and check a few places online

A friend of a friend flew MH16 yesterday.

He flew the KL -> AMS leg of the flight before the plane was refueled, re-boarded and away on it's last journey.

Think he's pretty shook up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

A friend of a friend flew MH16 yesterday.

He flew the KL -> AMS leg of the flight before the plane was refueled, re-boarded and away on it's last journey.

Think he's pretty shook up now.

Is that the boards poster on aviation?

No, that guy flew MH17 on Wednesday instead of Thursday to save himself some cash I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

WY Police Dogs @WYPDogs · Jul 16
    We don't like to brag but we've just caught 4 suspects who've been on the run from a high security prison since 1972

BssM73QIUAAYOzN.jpg:large

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement