Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

.ak wrote: »
    If you're confident all the contacts are Irish export them into a csv file, edit it with excel and then prefix all the numbers with +353

The what now? :confused:

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I store all my contacts with the full numbers by default now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

awec wrote: »
    I store all my contacts with the full numbers by default now.

I have learnt my lesson! The next someone spits out their number, I'll be like hold on a second buddy, country code first.

Does anyone who watches Game of Thrones know how far into the books the TV series is?

I have read up to the end of the second part of Storm of Swords, so just about to start DAnce of Dragons. From what I can remember series three was Storm of Swords part 1 plus a bit of part 2, is series 4 just the rest of part 2 or does it go in to the Dance of Dragons book?

No spoilers, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Does anyone who watches Game of Thrones know how far into the books the TV series is?

I have read up to the end of the second part of Storm of Swords, so just about to start DAnce of Dragons. From what I can remember series three was Storm of Swords part 1 plus a bit of part 2, is series 4 just the rest of part 2 or does it go in to the Dance of Dragons book?

No spoilers, obviously!

Series 1 + 2 kept a lot closer to the books in timescale than series 3 + 4. They've really started to jump around now - I actually think there has been a scene or two on the show that goes beyond even the current books. There is an image out there that explains it better, I saw it a while ago. I'll have a look for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

No spoilers, obviously!

Spoiler heavy for anyone who hasn't read them but this image shows what chapters in the books have been seen on the show - Heavy spoilers lay beyond this link

Season 4 has been mixed between Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows with a bit of Dance with Dragons.

Just as well you posted that - for some reason I thought dance of dragons came after storm of swords. Need to get Feast for Crows!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If you're confident all the contacts are Irish export them into a csv file, edit it with excel and then prefix all the numbers with +353

Real men use sed and don't even bother checking the modified output :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

dregin wrote: »
    Real men use sed and don't even bother checking the modified output :P

Real men write down their numbers in a book, that is most likely is kept in a drawer in the kitchen and almost always is impossible to find when needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

mfceiling wrote: »
    Real men write down their numbers in a book, that is most likely is kept in a drawer in the kitchen and almost always is impossible to find when needed!!

No, real men have a wife who write all the names in a book and have it placed logically somewhere for everyone to find. However as a real man you have NO IDEA were this book is and you will spend hours searching for it, cause you refuse to let her beat you, but in the end you cave and she politely says 'it's there right in front of you, ya muppet'

• Advertisement

Really men just open the front door and shout until your message is heard

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm absolutely woeful for numbers. The only number I know off by heart is my own and my land line. I don't even know the missus' number, which drives her insane.

I'm absolutely woeful for numbers. The only number I know off by heart is my own and my land line. I don't even know the missus' number, which drives her insane.

We should start a support group >_>

Frankly I could do without knowing the girlfriends number off by heart. ;)

Frankly I could do without knowing the girlfriends number off by heart. ;)

No doubt she knows your credit card details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

why do you know your own numbers? do you call yourself often?

why do you know your own numbers? do you call yourself often?

Because people ask me for my number more often then they would ask me for other numbers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ask me for the mobile numbers of some of my oldest mates and I'll pull out my phone and find them.

Ask me for their home telephone number from 15 years ago when we didn't have mobile phones and I'll be able to rattle it off immediately, still!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I know more of the local taxi companies mobile numbers than my oldest mates...
    from having to go to school for 4/5 years 20+ miles from where I lived and only people who did buses etc were the local taxi companies so I got to know all the drivers etc..

Its weird. I can't remember numbers easily, but I can easily remember the pattern they make around the phone. Its how I remember my PIN codes. I can visualize the shape that is made on the keypad. When someone rattles off a number really fast, I can never understand it first time. I think I have a mild form of aspergers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Heading to Cork this week for an overnight for the first time in about 20 years - any recommendations on things to see and do?

Heading to Cork this week for an overnight for the first time in about 20 years - any recommendations on things to see and do?

Nothing, stay in your room and close the blinds. Luckily you'll only be there for a night. Basically threat it like a zombie apocalypse and you'll be ok... No guarantee though.

EDIT: Nobody from Cork uses these forums, right?

If you're a foodie awec then go to the English market. Kinsale is a nice day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If you're a foodie and in Kinsale hit up a couple of their seafood restaurants. My favourite is Fishy Fishy. The fish pie is ridiculously good.

I'm looking to buy a bike and I have no fckuing idea what I'm doing. Some seem to be twice the price at complete random

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

very roughly

steel is bad
    aluminium is good
    carbon is fancy

if a bike has a very cool exciting name it's not good
    if a bike has a bland boring name it's good

the cycling forum is a good place to get info and there are already plenty of threads on people buying bikes for the first time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, cycling forum is your best bet.

If you're just gonna be using it for commuting an aluminium hybrid will do the job perfectly. If you're looking at using it for 50km+ cycles then you really need a proper road bike. The groupset (gears etc) will be just as important as the frame. I have a carbon road bike but I honestly wouldn't bother unless you're going to be using it a lot - mine is absurdly underutilized for what I paid for it.

I'm looking to buy a bike and I have no fckuing idea what I'm doing. Some seem to be twice the price at complete random

If you're workingm take a look at this: http://www.biketowork.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Also, while you'll get plenty of advice from the cycling forum, I can't recommend Wheelworx enough to get a bike from. They're awesome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement