Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

I tried a flotation tank yesterday. You lie in body temperature water filled with salt so you float. The air is body temperature too. The tank is sealed so no sound or light can get in, so your senses are completely deprived. I was in there for an hour. Other than it being the most relaxing experience I've ever had, your thoughts become crystal clear because your brain isn't being bombarded by any of the usual noise. You eventually feel asleep yet are completely awake. The water/air begin to feel the same and the lack of gravity makes you lose a sense of your body. Its really hard to explain, but towards the end I briefly felt like I didn't exist... weird I know. You can eventually reach a somewhat psychedelic state with repeated usage. I'm really unemployed at the moment :pac:

If you don't believe me, listen to Joe Rogan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I tried a flotation tank yesterday.

where?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

While that sounds like an amazing experience, my claustrophobia wouldnt let me enjoy it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Danced the merry insurance dance this morning.

My quote went from a 150 euro increase to a 2 euro increase.

Chancers! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »

Told ya! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Feckers

I blame Liam Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I tried a flotation tank yesterday. You lie in body temperature water filled with salt so you float. The air is body temperature too. The tank is sealed so no sound or light can get in, so your senses are completely deprived. I was in there for an hour. Other than it being the most relaxing experience I've ever had, your thoughts become crystal clear because your brain isn't being bombarded by any of the usual noise. You eventually feel asleep yet are completely awake. The water/air begin to feel the same and the lack of gravity makes you lose a sense of your body. Its really hard to explain, but towards the end I briefly felt like I didn't exist... weird I know. You can eventually reach a somewhat psychedelic state with repeated usage. I'm really unemployed at the moment :pac:

I really want to do that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bizarrely, there's a place that does this right down the street from where I work. I'm tempted to try it but I'd be afraid I'd go nuts with no outside stimulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

My car insurance renewal quote has went up by nearly 150 quid. WTF.

That's standard policy with insurance companies at this stage, just get a few quotes or even ring them up and say you have, they'll drop it back to what it was.

Bizarrely, there's a place that does this right down the street from where I work. I'm tempted to try it but I'd be afraid I'd go nuts with no outside stimulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_effect

ganzfeld.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This UFC fight tomorrow night seems to be a big deal.

My mate got a deal to produce a 6 part documentary on McGregor so I'm just hoping he doesn't get injured or else it will go to ****

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It must be. I know someone who paid €175 for a ticket! Never saw the attraction myself...

Bought myself a new pair of ray bans today. Love the things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

I'll send you the 2 yoyos in the post if you do the Peter Crouch "Robot" dance & post it on here!

Its well worth giving it a go. Its like having the ultimate bath. If your not feeling it you can always just get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

GBFe1Pm.png

This guy gets it. Cosmos well worth a watch for anyone who missed it.

Zzippy wrote: »
    It must be. I know someone who paid €175 for a ticket! Never saw the attraction myself...

The atmosphere will be unbelievable. Worth every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I suspect a few people on here might be interested in heading along to this:

http://biggrillfestival.com/

.ak wrote: »
    The atmosphere will be unbelievable. Worth every penny.

Atmosphere will be incredible but €175 is insane for any one off event at face value.

We've arranged a night at someone's place, big BBQ, few crates of beer, 50 inch TV. I'm much happier with that.

Granted there were tickets that were much more reasonably priced!

UFC bores the tits off me tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »

I don't think I've ever heard of any event like that, or any event, in the Herbert Park!

I certainly am. Looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'll be there with bells on!! Only saw the poster for it outside twisted pepper the other day...it's pretty much my idea of heaven tbh...

Atmosphere will be incredible but €175 is insane for any one off event at face value.

We've arranged a night at someone's place, big BBQ, few crates of beer, 50 inch TV. I'm much happier with that.

Granted there were tickets that were much more reasonably priced!

Yeah there was defo cheaper than 175. You have to consider the context as well. Ireland love their fighters. It wasn't long ago that we were downing tools during work to gather and watch Katey Taylor win gold.

Now we have what is potentially our most important ( and very commercial) fighter in a sport coming to dublin. Not only that but he talks the talk, which I think deep down even the most reserved people like, and he's an incredibly stylish fighter who favours strikes over grappling. Plus he's a very accessible character - everyone knows someone like him from dublin. His enthusiasm is infectious. It's a potent cocktail, and I'm not even a massive MMA fan, but I think I would pay 175 to attend.

Hopefully he doesn't go down in the first...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

UFC bores the tits off me tbh.

McGregor is one of the most entertaining fighters in the UFC and he'll be ridiculously fired up, if you find him boring tonight there is definitely no hope for you in that sport

Today's rediscovered band are The Eels. Some fantastic tunes. Novocaine For The Soul, Fresh Feeling, Saturday Morning, Beautiful Blues....just great and happy music (NFTS aside which is a touch bleak).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

What channels will be showing the fight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement