Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What channels will be showing the fight?

3e and BT Sport 2

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Off to Wicklow for my first run on a mountain bike track... Did some minor trails when I was a kid but that was years ago, a should be interesting. Hopefully my glass like bones hold it together...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Buer wrote: »
    Today's rediscovered band are The Eels. Some fantastic tunes. Novocaine For The Soul, Fresh Feeling, Saturday Morning, Beautiful Blues....just great and happy music (NFTS aside which is a touch bleak).

As Jack Black would say - there's no "THE"! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

dregin wrote: »
    As Jack Black would say - there's no "THE"! :P

You're quite right! I've done that a hundred times before and I'll do it a hundred times again. Eels never sounds right!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Spent entire day drinking and playing tag rugby.... Now 4/5 hours of watching UFC and listening to 4/5 bands in the club as tag rugby afters.... oh im going to suffer tomorrow......

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Off to Wicklow for my first run on a mountain bike track... Did some minor trails when I was a kid but that was years ago, a should be interesting. Hopefully my glass like bones hold it together...

All I'll say is... Ow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

That fight was a massive let down anyway after all the build up. Lasted about 3 minutes.

I know plenty of people who spent absolute mad money on seats as well. I'd be raging.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

First time watching UFC.

What a complete bore fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Insane noise there!

Big letdown after all the buildup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Teferi wrote: »
    That fight was a massive let down anyway after all the build up. Lasted about 3 minutes.

I know plenty of people who spent absolute mad money on seats as well. I'd be raging.

It was a brilliant prelim card and Ireland went 6/6 (including the adopted Icelander), and the atmosphere was cracking, I would have loved to be there.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    It was a brilliant prelim card and Ireland went 6/6 (including the adopted Icelander), and the atmosphere was cracking, I would have loved to be there.

Being honest, I remain unconvinced by MMA. The wrestling is utterly tedious, it doesn't interest me at all. McGregor is a good character and has some mouth on him so I like him and will follow his fights but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Being honest, I remain unconvinced by MMA. The wrestling is utterly tedious, it doesn't interest me at all. McGregor is a good character and has some mouth on him so I like him and will follow his fights but that's about it.

Yeah I'd be surprised if it really takes off here, you really have to know what's going on for it to be anyway interesting when it goes to the ground. The US on the other hand has a big wrestling culture so it will always be popular there

At first I thought the wrestling tedious, but when you find out how hard it is, mentally and skilfully, it becomes very interesting to watch.

Thing about mcgregor is he is a very stylish fighter, so the UFC love him. He sells matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I enjoy MMA for what it is a lot more than if it were just two guys lumping the head off each other tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

It's mostly jiu jitsu that goes on, not wrestling.....it is quite interesting once you get into it, but can totally see how people would find it boring

"It's more interesting if you understand what is happening"

Can be said about literally every sport ever.

"It's more interesting if you understand what is happening"

Can be said about literally every sport ever.

Especially rugby.

It is very technical though so you generally appreciate it more once you understand those nuances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tox56 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be surprised if it really takes off here, you really have to know what's going on for it to be anyway interesting when it goes to the ground. The US on the other hand has a big wrestling culture so it will always be popular there

I think it really has tbh...

Meeting lads on different jobs and everyone seems to follow it in some form or another. It really seems to have filled a void left by boxing.

I've done a few fit-outs in gyms recently and the popularity of it amazed me.

McGregor is a love or hate character. I like him tbh...he seems funny but yet
    he a focus which is unrelenting. Would be great to have a few world title fights here with him. I reckon he'd fill croke park for a world title fight...probably be more exciting than watching a "cowboy" strut his stuff there anyway!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    I think it really has tbh...

Meeting lads on different jobs and everyone seems to follow it in some form or another. It really seems to have filled a void left by boxing.

I've done a few fit-outs in gyms recently and the popularity of it amazed me.

McGregor is a love or hate character. I like him tbh...he seems funny but yet
    he a focus which is unrelenting. Would be great to have a few world title fights here with him. I reckon he'd fill croke park for a world title fight...probably be more exciting than watching a "cowboy" strut his stuff there anyway!!
    Thought a good farmer / culchie lad like yourself would love a bit of Brooks mfceiling? ;)

Get that man five nights in croker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Off to croker. Anyone heading there?

UFC has grown massively here. People used take part in boxing and joined clubs 15 years ago but that's very much transferred to MMA now. Last night was the fastest seeling event in UFC history but if the UFC had an event here without McGregor, it would still sell out no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    Thought a good farmer / culchie lad like yourself would love a bit of Brooks mfceiling? ;)

Jesus i have the smallest bit of credibility left now...any mention of liking Brooks would just take me under completely!!

2 lads i work with got premium tickets through Hilti for it - to say they are gutted is an understatement.

The brother's girlfriend had tickets bought, hotel booked and cowboy hat on standby!! Gas thing is she told me "i don't know why he's playing in dublin, there's nothing to do there...the shops are poor and there is nowhere good to get something to eat". She lives in the complete arse end of nowhere in rural Tyrone where the closest thing of any significance to her is a crossroads!!

Just on the UFC thing again, McGregor must be a promoters dream come true. Whether intentional or not, he comes across as very savvy when promoting the sport and his own involvement. His closing comment last night regarding Irish competitors "We're not here to take part, we're here to take over" was a great soundbite.

McGregor is a savvy, savvy individual. He knows that quiet fighters that go about their business don't make the same cash as the loudmouths.

He's doing it all the right way, talking ****e, always positive, always aggressive, but then backing it all up time and time again. He's an absolute workhorse and has worked exceptionally hard to get himself into the position he's in, but it can't be denied that he's playing "the game" incredibly well too. He'll accelerate his progression massively by being his own hype man.

I've fully subscribed to the guy at this stage. He is just class.

always aggressive, but then backing it all up time and time again.

I've fully subscribed to the guy at this stage. He is just class.

Steady on. I'm a fan but he has only had 3 UFC fights in his life none of which have been against fighters that are anywhere near the top ranked competitors.

He's good but it's hard to gauge what standard he is yet. He should get a fight against a top ten ranked competitor now which will be far more telling.

He's got a huge amount of momentum and publicity beyond what his career to date actually deserves due to his personality/interviews and the manner of his knock out on his debut.

16 point win for the Dubs. If the continue how they're going and win the All Ireland I think the GAA are going to have to consider breaking Dublin up. They've got the population and the sponsorship and money now. If they keep their eye on the ball, they really should end up winning over half of the All Ireland titles in future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't remember anyone calling for Kilkenny to be spilt when they were bossing the Hurling?

The Dubs still haven't gone on an amazing run in the All Ireland either.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Don't remember anyone calling for Kilkenny to be spilt when they were bossing the Hurling?

The Dubs still haven't gone on an amazing run in the All Ireland either.

Hurling is a different matter, in fairness. Only about 10 counties take it seriously (90 titles between Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp) and Kilkenny could well go 5 years without a title and it wouldn't be a huge surprise. Kilkenny's success is borne out of being the best team in the tournament. The sport is a religion in the county. They're 22nd from 32 counties in terms of population; their success is phenomenal even allowing for the lesser popularity of the sport.

Dublin have a huge advantage over other counties for reasons that go beyond the game in terms of population and the financial benefits that come with it. Their sponsorship deal is the biggest in the game and in the millions. They can bring in statisticians, analysts, psychologists etc. to help them prepare for their games. Leitrim, by contrast, get €15k from their sponsor.

But more tellingly, they can pump money into development and grass roots which ensures they can continue to develop the game and continue the circle of success.

I also don't agree with the fact that they get to play every single championship game in their home ground. Once upon a time they would have to travel on occasion but that's not the case now due to the financial aspect and play every game in CP.

If they win this year it will be 3 titles in 4 years. I don't expect the conversation to happen seriously at that point but I'm sure it will be at the back of minds. The Leinster championship has already become a bit of a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    16 point win for the Dubs. If the continue how they're going and win the All Ireland I think the GAA are going to have to consider breaking Dublin up. They've got the population and the sponsorship and money now. If they keep their eye on the ball, they really should end up winning over half of the All Ireland titles in future.

Maybe they should handicap all of the teams based on population, Dublin can start every game behind by 1-3. That would be fair on the poor little counties around them. And Leitrim should automatically advance to the final every year!

Maybe they could save a bunch of time and bypass the playing of the games, just let everyone take turns at being champions!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement